Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doing a Stude BIG truck.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tritone, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Tritone

Tritone

1 1/2 tons, 102 HP flattie, 4-spd granny box, 6:88 rear axle.....we're talking 38 mph TOPS!
    Time for a change.
    Going BBC, late 4-spd., and late 2500/3500 front end with brakes etc.

Has anyone done an old big truck with new ('90's- or better) truck suspension?
    What did you use?
    Any reason why this can't happen? (cost no object of course... ;)

Looking for advice & suggestions....
    TIA,
    James

Attached Files:

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

3. It seems you would be far ahead to just take your cab (and maybe the bed as well) and mount them on a full Chevy late model frame. Such as a wrecked crew cab dually? Modify the frame as needed to get the wheelbase right. Then you just fab some body mounts, hook up steering and brakes and wiring. Trying to splice and modify all that stuff onto your stock frame is going to be more work in the end.

4. The island is 15 miles long and 8 miles wide.

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

A few years ago I sold a nice big truck like yours to a guy from Florida. He wanted it real bad until he got it home and saw how slow it was in everyday traffic. He installed a big block engine and automatic tranny behind the cab that sat down between the frame rails. He built a new custom bed to hide the new engine. The original engine was still in the truck and still ran but not hooked up to a drive line. Anyway, on his way to his first big car show he passed everyone on the freeway at high speeds including most of the street rods. After he got to the show guys would come up to him and say "what have you got in that thing? It really runs". Then he would lift the hood and show them the old factory six cylinder and even start it and let them hear it run. They would just walk away not sure what to believe. He sure had fun with that truck. He is dead now but I will always remember my old buddy Mitchell. Good luck with your big truck.

6. Tritone

Tritone

ha ha ha ha......SO? That still means it takes nearly a half hour........and there are a couple of stop signs too......

7. Tritone

Tritone

speedtool & 38chevy -

first, I would probably get banned from 'truck talk' for such blasphemy, and yes, I'm already thinking about how much ($$$) dually I can afford....
    btw: what a concept: take a nice comfortable airconditoned crewcab dually and put a cramped narrow 1950 single cab on it......! must be something only a HAMB'er would do...

8. I looked up Lopez Island and ... :D

How about just changing the rear gear or rear end to errr, three or fourrrr? You got granny gear if you need it. And, I like the looks of that truck.

Thanks,
    Kurt

9. like me :):) ; with my 49 Ford COE on a 74 GM chassis. Mine is a reg cab chassis without any wheelbase modifications. See pic

Attached Files:

10. Tritone

Tritone

YESSSSSSSSS!

(except those saddlebags make me nervous.........remember all those lawsuits back in the 70's?)

38 - would you please email me about your truck? [email protected]
    thx,james

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Don't assume - give them a shot.
    You can always tell 'em to stuff it if you don't like what you hear.