Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Truck angle chop - need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog_Patch, Jan 2, 2008.

1. I've been mulling over the chop on this for a while now. I want to do an angle chop. Not too crazy, maybe 1 inch more on the front than the back. I printed this pic on huge paper and cut it up to see what needs done.
    This is the question - if the back wall is totally straight up and down, which it is, I can't just tilt the whole top down in the front and be done, the back can't tilt.

Next - do I lean the front pillars back to meet the roof, or section the roof and add a strip?

Anyone good with photo shop ? Advice is much appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Bttt.......

looks like you blew your trucks bed off when firing that motor up the other day....

3. mykwillis

mykwillis

you should angle the windshield posts.

4. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

5. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

i dont have any ideas for the angle chop. but it does look real cool/diffrent as is.

6. Yeah I thought "beds are over rated" then Tudor asked where the beers go ..... dohhh!

7. Ok I like the straight chop - now to tilt down the front, is this a 2 step process? Do I do a straight chop, then stitch it all up, then cut the front again a second time?

8. always gotta have a plan for 'hauling'

9. I don't think the top has enough length to really show off an angle chop. The straight up back wall complicates matters too. I don't think the angle chop would be worth the trouble.

Cut it 2, 3, 4, 5, ...... inches & call it done.

JH

10. What he said

11. Lil' Lance

Lil' Lance

you could do an angle chop, you'd have to do a few super slim pie cuts and/or releif cuts on the front A pillars and the back part(B pillar/back wall).

12. Lil' Lance

Lil' Lance

check out bobw . and his angle chop! theres a pic on the "minnesota... world of wheels" post

13. This one - nice! I like the angle look, however my 32 is maybe too square to pull it off.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2450990#post2450990

This is The Fidgiter's model I was trying to follow - but again this roof line is not so square, which makes the angle look right:
    (hope its ok I grabbed your pics - I have stared at them way too much over the last 2 years :rolleyes:. I thank you for the lost time and money!)

Attached Files:

14. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

That Chevy was on an angle from day one.

JH

Attached Files:

• bobw.jpg
      bobw.jpg
      File size:
      92.4 KB
      Views:
  15. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

The first one I posted was tilted to the front about an inch. That's what you said you wanted "not to crazy". Right?. This one is not chopped as much but has more of a rake.

[​IMG]

16. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Chop it however much you want, then right at the top of the straight back panel make your pie cut for the angle. Whether you lean the posts or extend the roof is up to you, then make the doors fit.

17. hat man - good work man - now we need to see angle chopped and crazy low - can you take out like 6" or 7"!!

good point Harrison!

Cool post - Dog patch - you've got that model SPOT ON in Dave's best english accent!!

18. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Sweet I can't wait 'the cuttin' starts!!!! those photochops look great. I'd like to see hatmans secone with the lid lowered a bit more

19. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

Here's one with the lid lower yet.

[​IMG]

20. Sweet!!! We can do that. you won't be able to see but we can do that!!

21. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That last photoshop looks pissed off!
    It might be a little overkill, but I dig it.

Norton

22. Take a look at the last one......and invision your buddy standing infront of you saying....
    "hey look at me i'm a traffic light, can ya see me"

as you realize you now have to bend over and look out the windshield.....straight chop in my opinion, or atleast as straight as the sock fuckers....

23. Lil' Lance

Lil' Lance

oopa, my bad, (damn left eye)

24. No worries man.

That Chevy looks great. I love it. Cool thing about them.... you can cut one dead level & it comes out looking like was cut on a wedge. It's a very "Chevy-looking" look - one that I'm not sure works on a Ford.

That's just my $.02 though. (Which, in this case, is worth absolutely nothing.)

JH

25. StrickV8

StrickV8

looking good bro. need to find that line between driveability & looks and that angle chop will be bad ass. you can do it. we're here to help.

26. I like the more crazy chop - but I also know that some of you guys have been doing this a ton longer and what seems cool for a month can be a real pain in the ass in 4 months. Hammeredabone suggested I take a big piece of cardboard and block the front window view to simulate the chop.
    Its a tough call because the car is odd to begin with. (also the 331 hemi in there will change the attitude some :D)

27. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Hemi, Why would you run one of those hunks of shit. I would run a nailhead motor instead, they are much cooler. :)

28. That's got nothing to do with you wanting a spare engine for your real MOPAR ;)

29. I think it'd look better with a straight chop. If you do a slanted chop, you'd have to pie slice it near the top of the back wall to get the slant and it would be a lot of extra work. The doors are really square on top, and it would be tricky to get them looking right too if you slanted the roof.

I chopped mine 4-1/2" and channeled mine 6". Even with a really low seat about 2" off the floor, it's a tight squeeze in there, and I will be having to lean forward to be able to see the traffic lights. I haven't driven mine yet, but I think it would be a real pain to drive it if the front of the roof was any lower than it is now.

30. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Of course not. Seriously though I would run the heck out of that Hemi if I were you. Nothing looks meaner than a HEMI. Well except for maybe a SCOT blown flatty!

At the rate I'm going I won't even need the Big Block I got for atleast 3 more years!!!