Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kind o/t...Are we all natural hoarders/collectors??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loggy, Jan 1, 2008.

1. loggy

loggy

I'm guessing we are...........i mean think 'bout it.....you go to the swapmeet,n buy something you dont need and couldnt really afford,'cos you'll use it somewhere down the line......i'm sure theres' a good few of you guys n gals that know you really got more projects than you really need,n the voice is saying 'i dont use that car enough,maybe move it on' but you dont 'cos its a solid ride n who knows when you'll find another that good...;).....or maybe you collect other stuff too.......c'mon hoarders,reveal yourselves:p:D

2. bobw

bobw

I built a garage out behind my garage. Kept is small so I wouldn't collect too much stuff. There's 8 running rods in it now. One is my son's though. Now that I'm "full", I'm not looking for anything else. Oh, there's a '25 Dodge coupe in the front garage under construction and the fiberglass Fiat body on the back porch needs a chassis/driveline. But, after those two, I'm really done.

3. loggy

loggy

thats the kinda thing i mean lol........friend of mines' lost some space,so had to clear out 3 stable's worth of old vw/other car bits n bobs he had in there...........it was mostly fairly crappy anyways.....but he filled a big skipfull:eek:........kinda brought a lump to my throat when i heard!

4. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I think its just a progressive disease, like booze or drugs!:eek:

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

uhh huh I belive you. just like I am.... My barn is full, loft and all. So Im done hording......... for now till I add on.:D gotta add on theres stuff outside:(

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, it goes with the territory. 3 sheds and a garage full of "gona use it someday". parts and pieces.
    Not as bad as a friend who has a shop that is close to 3000 sf and he can barely get two cars in it.

Years ago when I lived in Texas and was on a very low budget I would haul stuff to the swapmeets with only enough cash to pay the space fee. I had to sell what I took to be able to buy anything to haul back home. It at least kept the accumulation to a minimum.

7. agawam

agawam

It's something you don't really notice till it's too late,when you do notice you have a few hundred starters,alternators several tons of cylinderheads, miles of headers,buckets and buckets of misc bolts bushings and dodads,parts that have no known origin all held up by 30 or 40 engine blocks and complete engines and protected by a roof of various body parts...and all you can say is "yeah I got one of those somewhere"...just a little personal history and you can use this as your story if you like I'm shure it fits more than just me

8. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

If you get rid of it you will need it the next day.

9. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

I'm with ya here. Great post.

How about looking through the stash for some long lost part and finding a another piece and you have no idea where or when you ever got it? And the down side is....I think I "lost" a rear end. A guy asked me if I had an extra and I thought I did but I can't find it.

10. squirrel

squirrel

I resemble that remark....

11. RodLand

RodLand

Exactly why I keep everything.

12. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

I'm afraid I fit this picture. I have a bunch of A-body mopars and a LOT of parts in Oregon. Unfortunately, they are in Oregon, I'm in FL and I have to sell the property. I'll be taking a trip out there in the next few weeks to sell off a collection of many years. Sad but necessary.
    PM me if you need/want anything.
    Mike Bynum

13. 72sst

72sst

My name is Eric...................and Im a hoarder.

14. 38fordcoupe

38fordcoupe

I don't call it hoarding or collecting. I call it "investing in my future". When I retire I plan to supplement my income using the parts I've been hoar...I mean investing in all my life. Hell , the car parts I'm investing in seem to be doing better then my 401k.

15. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I will never forget the time my wife asked if I was going to build all of the cars in the yard?

There was a '37 Willys coupe, a '37 Willys sedan, a '56 Corvette, a '57 Corvette, a '61 Impala 2-door hardtop, a '63 Impala SS. Out front was my '63 dual quad 409 SS "daily driver", and a '55 Cameo pickup! In the garage was a couple extra hipo 409s.

I realized that I had never considered, whether I might actually get them all built! It didn't take a genius to see that with me working 2 jobs, and driving 2-1/2 hours a day to work, plus raising 3 kids, it wasn't going to happen! I sold them off (for a nice profit) keeping my two favorites, which I later completed.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When we built our new home I had a shop built to put my "stuff" in I wanted a 50'X100' but the variance comittee wouldn't buy it. So......... I have a 40' X 80' but went two story to cover my "needs". When we moved it took 52 truckloads to move my shop out to the new location. I should have had the 50' X 100', I couldn't move when everything was inside. I'll tell you like I tell the wife "I only keep the good stuff, the junk is taken to the scrap yard":rolleyes::D

Frank

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

TWO of anything is the start of a collection. If all the stuff I still have is taking up space how much of the stuff I sold and still remember is filling up brain space?

18. I call it WHOARDING and I'm a WHOARDER there I said it!!
    Jim

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

HA-Ha! This is all too close to home. Addicted, can't stop checking all types of web sites daily, even free stuff listings, for something else that I can not live without.
    Had a car nut(#1) friend stop by with an ex-car nut (#2) that traded cars for golf clubs-yuck. #2 said to #1 "now I know why you have so much car stuff at your place, everyone you know has too much car stuff too." I was so proud to have "too much". Oops-gotta another "deal" to check on.

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not too late to change! No more hoarding for me. Tomorrow I'm going to sort thru everything and get rid of the junk I don't need and will probably never use.

Well, maybe not tomorrow, but probably this weekend......or maybe the weekend after that........or this summer.....:rolleyes:

21. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Exactly why I'm putting up a 12' x 17' storage building right now. I'll have about $2,500 into a place to store what I've already bought over the years. Mostly motorcycles, but they take up room too.

As far as the other stuff, I just started taking pics of my collection of patent medicine bottles. I've got 20 online now, plenty more to go. Most are in the range of 100 years old or more.

22. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Being kinda new at the "old" car thing, after only a couple years of getting out of muscle cars thing I'm already "collecting" parts I don't really need. Extra motors and body parts for the 55, shifters I might want someday, shit, the whole deal. Enough stuff sittin around that I don't have room here anymore so I keep parts at a friends shop and keep looking and waiting to score more that I don't need. Shit does this mean I'm addicted???

23. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

If we're 'hoarding'...does that make us all a bunch of 'whores'??:D
    I'm right there with you all!! It's no coinsidence my user-name is 'Sanford's other son'.

QUOTES:

"If you get rid of it you will need it the next day".
    -Sooooo true!

"How about looking through the stash for some long lost part and finding a another piece and you have no idea where or when you ever got it?"
    -I do this all the time! I thought it was early onset of Alzheimer's. Glad to know it's 'normal'.

"My name is Eric...................and Im a hoarder."
    -'Hiiiiiiiii' Eric...(where's my candle?)

"I will never forget the time my wife asked if I was going to build all of the cars in the yard? (8)
    I realized that I had never considered, whether I might actually get them all built! It didn't take a genius to see that with me working 2 jobs, and driving 2-1/2 hours a day to work, plus raising 3 kids, it wasn't going to happen! I sold them off (for a nice profit) keeping my two favorites, which I later completed."
    -Isn't it weird that sometimes we just can't see it 'till someone put's it to us in such simple terms?!

"When we built our new home I had a shop built to put my "stuff" in. When we moved it took 52 truckloads to move my shop out to the new location. I should have had the 50' X 100', I couldn't move when everything was inside. I'll tell you like I tell the wife "I only keep the good stuff, the junk is taken to the scrap yard"
    -You still have the wife?! She's a gem!!

"TWO of anything is the start of a collection. If all the stuff I still have is taking up space how much of the stuff I sold and still remember is filling up brain space?"
    -We even concider philosophy here on the HAMB.

24. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

But does anyone collect without actually ever using any of it, thats when its bad. Theres a guy down the road that has 20+ vehicles, all filled with parts, countless bicylces, 5 or 6 swingsets, (no children under 40 either), the list goes on, but a few years back i was looking to buy a vehicle from him and asked him about all the parts, asked him if he worked on cars alot, he says to me that he doesnt know the first thing about it and always gets a local mechanic to fix his stuff for him. So its truly an addiction for him....

Me on the other hand, i can use all my parts for something someday.

25. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

"Hi. My name is Jay......and I'm an addict!" :)

26. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I have bolts from my 64 GTO when it was brand new. I make sure and point it out to my wife when I actually throw something out so she can see that I don't keep "Everything" that makes me feel much better.

Today's stash was a free Bar B Que cause it had some col parts on it and two large pieces of 1/4 Plate.

Yes my avatar confirms it.

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Somebody call me?

28. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Does a bear... ...
    Guess I'm kinda guilty aswell... :D

29. imperial

imperial

If you have 1 car/project your fine .
    As soon as the second one arives you'r in deep trouble.
    the cars seems to behave like rabitis .
    I'm down to 7 cars / projects now .
    Wife wants a other car I told her that's ok but before we get a other one we at least clear out 2 .
    NO WAY she want it extra.

30. Gerg

Gerg

I have one car.... they are expensive. How many vintage bicycle projects do i have? around 15 I am only 27 I have time to work up a great collection of cars :)