Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEXICAN MERC 50...... pix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled, Dec 20, 2007.

1. sled

sled

punkabilly,welcome to ask anything you need about measures and templates or else...no big deal!
    but as for the rockers i just bought them new in egay cause a company there sells them for cheap ...i could make em here but i found em there and decide to go this way...
    mines are homemade here and totally wrong...
    PM me if you need more details or something specific,ok???

2. sled

sled

punkabilly,i forgot....haven't receive the rockers yet,so i don't have the measurements you need...
    also ETHER is very helpful on this stuff..he might have the measurements cause he just finished the car...you can PM him too,very cool guy to talk with...

3. Magnus B

Magnus B

Progress in Mexico

Sled: B pillars cut and welded up...at list some small new parts on the puzzle..still a long way to go but i'm happy to see some shiny spots at list...
    also decided to put the 454 big block back again,for some extra torque,just in case...well of course is a cruiser,so probably a mild cam,headers and a new alu intake with a 4 barrel will do the job..got a caddy air layin around that i can use...
    i go for the auto tranny,hydramatic ...
    have not much experience with this set up ,hopefully will work with a good 9" rear end...

Attached Files:

4. Heres a blueprint of the rockers for a 2 door. Also has the meas. for a moredoor. Hope this helps. ETHER

Attached Files:

5. v8minor

v8minor

Love the work you guys are doing ,I am building a 50 Chevy moredoor over here in Ireland .
    I have not worked on her for a long time seeing stuff like this gives me a push.

6. sled

sled

ETHER,it will help for sure....thanx ,appreciate it!

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

thanx ether for that drawing!!!

8. Magnus B

Magnus B

A new years greeting from Sled:

here the last batch for this year...A pillar base reconstruction.After some required measurements finally start to be clear what to do and cut to fit all pizza togheter again...
    instead of small patches i decided to cut the whole panels and redo it again..faster and really done properly at once!
    so,there will be more shiny parts grafted on soon...at this stage is just a mock up,needs some creases in and there still...
    also decided to replace a good part of the floors too...they are not bad,but you never know how strong is the metal is...so,better cut em off and make new shiny ones,same as originals.
    it will pay off on the prep work,and adding much quality on the overall project...
    so,Happy New Year fellas,will meet soon on radio Merc..stay tuned!

Attached Files:

9. Janne

Janne

Any progress on Merc last week? :)

10. sled

sled

hi janne,good to hear from ya.Yep,already started again workin on,got some pix but more will come these days...
    also shortly lots of new parts from US will come,such the IFS front clip ...to speed up things!
    holidays are over,so i'm full time on the car....

11. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

very nice work sled. gives me inspiration to get my floors done

12. whiteboy

whiteboy
    from france

nice work on the merc tom!!!can't wait to see more pics!!
    cheers,pete

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Holy Crap! That thing is really evolving fast! Nice work.

14. Magnus B

Magnus B

back from some needed holidays,here some more patching and puzzling parts togheter.
    i'm kinda satisfied as is starts to look ,very clean overall.
    new body brakets too
    i realized that the old floors are arch bent up to 1" in the highest side so they will be replaced soon too...do it once and do it right,that's the motto!

Attached Files:

15. Magnus B

Magnus B

More pics from Sled

Attached Files:

16. Janne

Janne

Yep sled, I have been checking this thread from the start!

17. Magnus B

Magnus B

Progress in Mexico

some more patching on the rear wheelweels.finally a shrinker,air flange tool arrived from US so i can speed up things more on bending metal...
    also a new Dillon welder is here,so some great welding can be performed later on...

Attached Files:

18. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

keep em' coming, have you guys got the rockers yet?

19. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Looks great, good to see another Merc saved.

Got some q's tho...your metal work seems top notch, why buy the rockers? There are a few different sets on ebay. Mike Stude (Green Mountain stock) which is where the diagram above came from. He sells em but they arent cheap, last set went for like 300 or something. Then Leadsledman from Detroit area, which are decent, but still pricey. Then those BS rockers from Michigan for like $60. They arent even close, you can see in the pics that its garbage. Did you buy those? If they are usuable let us know, but they appear to be, and from what Ive heard are junk.

Next, did you buy those inner rockers or make em? I know Green Mountain makes thiers similar, but I dont see those body support boxes in my rockers, and Ive owned a few Mercs. Are you (if you made those) basing them off Green Mountains parts or am I just really missing something? I was planning on making mine without those boxes, it should be supported enough, just noticing two people with the exact same design.

Kickass work! Cant wait to see more!

20. sled

sled

Unionvillehaunt,well...the rockers existing in the car were just homemade junk,and totally wrong measurements,cannot use em ...
    and i got my other mercs far away from here so i needed to find something fast to have the correct sizes,ya know...
    that's why i opted to buy from US the cheap 60 bucks version,wich is crap too...and is made from 20 gauge,wich i'm not gonna use cause all my metalwork is 18 gauge...did'nt know that,but who cares??
    i use em just as samples and will fabricate from 18 gauge all new ones in 1 piece,to make things correctly done and not patching again..

question 2:we had enuff of the original sills and support brakets that i could copy the boxes,ya know..that's what we did.
    no idea who's this Green Mountain guy,we've been fully our way..simple as that!
    actually there is an extra supportin box hidden for more strenght aprox whereabout when the driver/ passenger steps into the car from both sides....just a little extra tought!
    Actually with all the new tools arrived from US i really hope to have the fabrication speeded up ,cause right tools are everything...
    also on the extra batch of pix you'll see underneath all the details...
    glad you like it...

stay tuned!!

21. The 20ga ones are junk! They need to be 18ga for sure...

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

So you decided to make those little boxes or they were there stock? I dont see them on my Merc.

23. mid-century-cruiser

mid-century-cruiser
    from combine,TX

Hey, great metal work on the Merc. Keep the posts coming. Unionvillehaunt, I just got done changing out the drivers side inner rocker on my 49 and the factory originals had the boxes built in for support. I used one of the Green Mountain parts inner rockers and all thou it was pricey it did have the proper curvature and was a real time saver. Also has the support boxes built in. MCC

24. sled

sled

Unionvillehaunt....the boxes are stock on the Merc...that's why we build em from scratch same as originals and put em on again...plus 1 more for extra structural strenght,as said before!
    you'll see it tomorrow when more pix will be shown...i can show some more so you get the general picture...

25. Magnus B

Magnus B

floors time!!actually welded up the rockers already and crafted the front side of the floor too...raised up the bent floor to get back the original floor curve!
    the passenger side front floor is already cutted ready to install when on that side...
    kinda happy on the ar flange tool,lot faster work and properly done!right tools are everything.
    can't wait to start welding with the Dillon but that will be later in the roof...

Attached Files:

26. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sleds making progress.

finally the inner/outer rockers are welded up...also crafted the front drivers floor on...
    it starts to be more complete and shiny..
    i nicknamed this merc " swiss cheese 1 " cause the huge amount of holes all over rust...as you can see in the last pic of the back section...
    but who cares??anything can be fixed with patience and skills...
    it's fun too....as said before i will never thow away a Merc coupe,no matter how rusted is...

Attached Files:

27. hcontla

hcontla

Hi sled
    let me say you this, my grand dad just pass away and he gave me before go a couple of cars, one of them is a brand new merc 50 2 doors, the other one is a lincoln zephir 48 coupe, please i need an advice, i don´t know what to do, i am wasting space at my garage. Regards

28. Post some pic's of that Merc...PLEASE!!!

29. sled

sled

Hcontla,cool from your dad amigo!!!ok,you know i will buy that Merc right away,so PM me and let's talk ASAP...
    anyway,try to get some pix in case,cause i'm far away now...
    to show the fellow Hambers some more JUNK!!!
    Waht about The zephyr car??is a coupe or what???
    hasta pronto....

30. Magnus B

Magnus B

The Merc work continues. Sled has a question for you. PM him or post in the thread if you can help him.

Sled:
    ok, alittle bit more on this side ,but is kinda frustrating at this point cause i don't have any reference/measurement on the lower 3/4 panel on how to seal the inner panel to the outside 3/4 panel....
    Need HELP here guys!!!!

Anybody has a picture /draw how the end of the rockers fit on the lower 3/4 panels on the inside???cause i really wanna see it how it looks back there,and i hate to do the job twice,ya know...

Any help appreciated!!!!

a sketch,draw ,pic ..anything helps....

also need a picture from the rockers below on how fits the 3/4 panel ,wich kinda curve has???

just to be sure on what to do now....

i got my other mercs far away and i can't get access to them right now,so hopefully the Hamb family will be on my side here....

yeah,i'm very peaky on details,i know....is not funny!!!

i can't wait to finish this side....wanna move over!!hopefully tomorrow will start the new rockers too

No way to put the egay crap i bought on....

Attached Files: