Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod and Custom just made me angry!!! really angry!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. I got mine about a year ago from Hot Rod.I enjoyed watching it and was interested in what else they had that might be more involved.My beef is that I tried over and over to find out how much they cost and never could ,so I just kept the one they GAVE me.You NEVER have to pay for anything unsolicited in the mail.

2. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

To me its a good way to piss off you subscribers. Poor marketers if you ask me.

3. Chill Out . . . take a deep breath and go work on your rods. Getting angry just ain't worth it!

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Shit im home till the 2nd and all i see on caller id is foundations wanting me to answer the phone so they can ask for money.. I hung up on a cop the other day :) They are as bad as the rest of em.. The thing i really hate is the people sending me shit telling me my magazine sub is about up and i need to renew it. These are outside companys working on the mags and my money and they really want you to re up for like 5 years and shit like that. Im sure they get a heavy discount and could very well have it set up where they pay yearly so they can get the interest on the money.. Im sorry but i ordered street rodder from street rodder and fuck it thats who im gonna pay when i need to pay.. Fuck the other companys.. Everyone else is right if you didnt agree to anything just watch the dvd and fuck em.. By the way if its any good could you send it to me when your done :)
    Dave

5. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

When I get junk mail with a postage prepaid envelope I cram a bunch of other junk mail and send it back to them with a note attached saying - please throw this is YOUR trash for me please.

6. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I occassionaly receive duplicate re-newal notices for the magazines I have subscribed to, which tells me there are lists out there being sold to various "marketers". Some of these marketers end up selling additional subscriptions to someone (like me) who has already subscribed to the magazine. Result? I wind up with two copies of Hot Rod rather than one. I have to keep tabs on my renewals so that I can avoid duplicating subscriptions every time I get a notice in the mail! It's called marketing. It's also called business. I call it a pain-in-the-ass! Good Luck! Don't let them drive you crazy!

7. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yup. I do this too. The only way to cost them something is to send the notes back to them. Back in the early 90s, I had a buddy whose dog received HUNDREDS of music CDs - you know, the ones where you 'send no money now, but get 6, 8, or even 12 CDs and we'll bill you later.'

I figured out the absolute best way to get off the "Fraternal Order of Police" begging roster. I got a call just after I filed for divorce, and my ex was dating/living with/engaged to (and wound up marrying) one of Tulsa County's Finest. This is a rough BUT TRUE transcript of the actual phone call:

FOP guy: Sir, we represent the FOP and would like a donation.
    ME: I think I've already given more than enough.
    FOP guy: Sir, I don't see any record of that donation anywhere.
    ME: Check the courthouse. My soon-to-be-ex-wife is currently dating one of your Deputies.
    FOP guy: I'm sorry to hear that sir, but unfortunately that doesn't do us any good.
    ME: It does me no good either. I've already given you guys my wife, what more do you want?
    FOP guy: But... but... but....
    ME: Click

That got me no more phone calls for the last 5 years!

8. Save the DVDs.

Makes for terrific targets when you go plinking.

A couple in the backpack make good emergency mirrors next time you're 20 miles or so out in the wilds of America....

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

That gets you REALLY angry? Try decaf.... you're wound WAY too tight.

10. Got one of the DVD's from Hot Rod. After a while they finally stopped sending requests for its return.

11. Also make good pallets,for Pinstriping.
    That's all the AOL discs are good for.

12. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

If you get something in the mail that you didn't request. ITS YOURS. FREE. Thats the law...

13. cuzzindeke

cuzzindeke

I aglee _______

14. Joe King

Joe King

It's funny I just got my last R&C for the subscription and was thinking OK it's an OK magazine.... maybe? Then the next day the DVD shows and I read I have to send it back or pay 7 buck, instantly I think FUCK YOU R&C come and get it. I PM Kevin Lee, whats up? He says I have no idea. Now I think Fuck you Primedia.
    The only thing I do Know right now is I'm not going to renew my subscription cuz I hate this kind of marketing.

15. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'm glad none of you have real problems in your life to bitch about. junk mail and phone calls. ha!

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

So Ray...what is YOUR real problem...I always thot you had the world on a string... and you didn't have a care in the world...

R-

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is the internal marketing of the publisher. I mail that type of stuff for several companies ( but not peterson publishing or primedia ). The reason you get the renewal when you have 6 months left is that about 40% of the people who get that notice, write a check and send it in. If you could mail your a boss a letter saying your next pay check was due when you still had to work a week and he paid you, you would mail to him every week.
    If they send you something like the DVD, you are under no obligation to return it. Just like the address labels from disabled american veterans and several others.

Right now, the direct marketing industry has about 18% to 20% valid e-mail addresses. As that goes up, your e-mail in basket will be filled just like you mail box......all in all, go work on your car and don't sweat the shit you can't control.

18. Yeah I got the same DVD and I just thought it was junk mail and didn't even open it a few weeks later they were sending reminders I had to find the damn DVD then follow their instructions carefully to send it back. How stupid...

19. TEAMGrant

TEAMGrant

I fully agree with Tommy. Just not a classy way of doing things.

20. kiotes

kiotes

For someone that doesnt RANT. You sure are good at it. Throw the junk mail away, You dont see the rest of us crying about it. Just put it back in the postage paid envelop with some other crap you dont want. Let them pay for it twice....

21. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Keep the DVD, do nothing and calm down. :) Shady marketing makes me think of a shady operation altogether. I quit R&C a while ago...they sent me cards to re-subscribe for months-- with lower and lower subscription rates to entice me back....which made me wonder, why didn't they just offer that rate as a renewal?...I'd already been subscribing for 10+ years...shouldn't I get a little discount? They might have kept a subscriber...hmmm...

22. cruzr

cruzr

i sent it back without watching it

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I feel so left out now I didn't get one........:(

24. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I got it and was really pissed as well. I have dumped everything but R&C and Street Rodder in the last few years. If I could only get my old man to quit with the shit subs and give me TRJ, I'd be happy.

Just to make sure, I sent the damn thing back so they could pay postage on it again. I almost PMed R&CLee to see what he had to say but figured it was the business side of things, not the editorial.

You can stay as wound up as you want. I agree completely.

Fuck them the fucking fuckers.

25. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Trains magazine sent the same things out. I sent it back and they sent me a letter saying I had not. WTF does it matter, they said it was a gift but then they make you feel obligated. Yes, I also think it is bad marketing.

26. I think the catch is if you kept the little commemorative stamp that was included as the free gift and sent the DVD, they'll still keep sending you stuff. We'll just stuff it all back into the sleeve and send it back. Funny how you guys get mad about some dumb DVD coming, it's not like you have to pay postage. Just my thoughts.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'd comment on this, but I just got an internal memo that stated I can't say the title to that magazine any longer... wait... reading... I can say the title, but only partially... I can call it "Rod Magazine".

Anyway, my subscription ran out but I heard they ran a feature of the Hot Rod Revolution that Keith and I (bold for a reason) hold in NorCal. So, I had to have a copy... I went and bought the last two issues. I actually thought they were both pretty well done. Good mix of features, decent writing, and one usable tech article. To me, that was worth the cover price.

The marketing deal... well, that's a mistake. Direct marketing is effective to a point, but what most direct marketers don't want people like Consumer Source to know is that when done aggressively direct marketing alienates your true and loyal market base. It's a short-term gain in trade for a long-term loss.

Side Bar:
    The two issues I bought were dated February and March, 2008. The people at Rod Magazine (hehehe... I kill me) need to order themselves a HAMB Calendar so that they can't get their dates right. I hate newstand strategy...

28. Appleseed

Appleseed

I was about to post about this last night, but I thought nobody cared. Guess I was wrong. I guess I could just keep it. I just got the fear, cause I've been bashed by collection agencies for chincy shit like this before. Now I get to go out of my way to re-mail this crap? Lame.

Wow! They won't let you say the name of that "Rod Magazine?" Sounds like they fear this little ol' HAMB thing. Double lame!

29. it's an internal memo.. ryan sent it to himself

:D

30. kgjevre

kgjevre

I too got the Hot Rod DVD in the mail a while back, and was pissed because of the unsolicited mailing. Lost it in one of my piles of stuff, and then started to get the "pay or return it" mailings, and got worried about collection agencies - ended up calling them and told them to quit sending me the reminders as I lost the damn DVD and that took car of it.
    Waste of my time - seriously considered to cancel my Hot Rod subscription, but did not...

NOTE to magazine publishers - do not send me unsolicited stuff and then hassle me about it!

-kg