Register now to get rid of these ads!

scary airbag mount pictures! check this out!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

not slaming you or anything like that..but i would have looked at the underside of that car before buying it..that way i would have known what a pile of crap I was getting myself into. not to mention it helps with the bartering aspect of the purchase.
    I agree totally that the job was done wrong, but caviet emptor..let the buyer beware..always look over your purchases before you make the deal.

2. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

So if I sell you a car where Ive made an imitation Brake master cylinder out of fibreglass and bondo, and you dont notice it, its ALL YOUR FAULT.....is that what you're saying????

There's dodgy,....and then there's culpable...I think this airbag setup falls into the 2nd category

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lighten up, you are clearly looking for shit starting. I agree that without really inspecting a car you are contributing to the problem. I have people that pay to have a car inspected. I know of local mechanics that will do it for a $20. If you are spending a large sum of money on something like a vehicle, the smart thing to do is to inspect it thoroughly. IF it's stock I'll give it some leeway, if it's been modified in any way shape or form then it's doubly important.

I give you credit for following through as well. Hopefully you learned a lesson and will do this kind of inspection before the purchase and driving the vehicle next time.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You are right, but I believe that Josh is just making a point he bought knowing the intention of repair....but moreso that he is making the awareness for all to see that there are dillweeds that are clusterfuck fabricating. $.02

5. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

oh yeah, for sure this is marked in my "lessons learned!"

it is not hacked to the point of no repair, and i agree totally about buyer beware, i wasnt this time...clearly! maybe the thrill of the purchase, or the 8 hours it took me to get to anahiem (the 5 was closed...) either way, i posted this as kind of a "learn by my mistake" thread, i should have expected at least a few people calling me a dumbass. on to bigger and better things eh?! :D

6. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

holy shitballs man thats the scaryiest shit i think ive seen , thank god you found this butchery.

7. eltiberius

eltiberius

That would be the guy! Avoid at all costs!

8. If you want some humor run a search for "that guys" name and see the anecdotes that come up!;):eek:

9. eltiberius

eltiberius

Cool, I'll add a few.

10. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Guys, guys, guys ... let's close this topic off with ...

Look over what ever your buying. (stock OR modified)
    Close inspection MIGHT reveal things that weren't done right or worn out.
    Sometimes in the "heat of the moment" - a "hot deal" - doesn't allow enough time to do an UP CLOSE INSPECTION of what's NOT up to "snuff!"

Sometimes the vehicle MAY have some dangerous things hidden out of sight.
    (at least those found by a quick/casual inspection)

My rule is; before anything I buy, is put on the road, it gets a THOROUGH inspection.

11. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Live and learn. My son made the same mistake. Went out and traded in his first car, he built, while in high school. He learned on that car and spent a lot of b,s,t and $ on it. Anyway, he didn't even tell me he had bought it for about 4-5 days after the fact. We got it in the shop and started looking at it and it was butchered too. We spent an evening pulling the seats out and re-installing them. The idiot that put them in must have beat a hole in the floor with a chisel instead of drilling them. The seat bolts were bent at a 90 degree angle to "secure" them. I had to make some plates, drill and weld them into the floor structure then bolt them in properly. I was so pissed that he bought that hunk of shit I had steam coming out of my ears. That was only the start, the rear suspension is falling apart now. We rebuilt the motor last year and the "custom" body kit is cracking and falling apart because the installer didn't reinforce the front and rear bumper/spoilers or whatever the hell they call them, it's an import. He still has another year of payments....I hope the car last that long. I guess we could say here that if you don't know what you're doing then get someone who does and ask for help.

12. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I have offered free welding lessons to every single person I know that has gone out and bought one of those $199 migs, or thought about buying one, or found a cheapy one off craigslist and loves to get after it in the stock (READ: fluxcore) setup. (I'm not argueing against fluxcore being better or worse for penetration or quality of weld, I'm argueing that for a beginner fluxcore welding is like learning with a handicap right out of the gate)

They lay birdshit piles of metal shit with flux pop and splatter for 10"s either direction of where they were "AIMING"". And they think they can weld cause they bought a welder. :confused:

Of all the people I've offered FREE lessons to, I've had one, thats right "1" person has taken me up on it.

We've gone over technique, setup, using my welders. Then I took his welder, gave him a parts list to convert it to air, and told him to bring it back and I would put the conversion kit on it. He did, then we went over setup and technique with his welder. Yes, FREE.

I think the best thing you can do is show someone who isn't a welder how to do it correctly, and basically put them in their place. That place is that they have a lot to learn, but its not some impossible feat. With practice you can do it, do it well, even well enough to put dinner on the table with.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Man that's awesome.... glad to hear that people are still doing cool stuff like that...

14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I second that.Knowledge is priceless no matter what type it is and hey Sugarland is just a hop skip and jump from me.My Dad and his family grew up there and in Stafford so maybe one day I might have to get me a mig.:D

15. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Do it, the offer stands. My shop is inside the LOOP, but still right off 59.

Welding is an invaluable skill. I've used it many times in my life as my fallback. I know no matter what happens if for some reason I fail, I can always fall back on it. And have. When Enron crashed, I got laided off from another energy company. I was welding and fabbing shit everyday until I was able to get another job back in the energy industry.

WOW Sorry I got this thread WAY off track from the shitty airbag mounts.

How's it go?......sir, lay down the stinger and step away from the car.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So who the hell was it that did the work? Someone PM me please!

17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

You arent lying there brother. I bought my flux core without anyone to help teach me years and years ago. Thing was so frustrating I wanted to throw it into the street. I actually kinda dont mind the flux now, and wont get a bottle cuz I really dont have the room in my garage. I often have to pick the machine up to swing it thru a door or window opening to move it around. My garage is SMALL. I will after I move these 2 engines in my way upgrade and after I finish this car. Im thinking a 220v mig or something.