Register now to get rid of these ads!

scary airbag mount pictures! check this out!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

"Someone should inspect this shit!!!:mad:"

In Australia, we have to get a certified Engineer's inspection ($800+)
    for ANY mod more than changing wheels...is that where you wanna go???????????

2. 40chev

40chev

What I know about air ride suspension you could fit in a thimble but man just looking at that mess and thinking the guy that built it is supposed to be a builder??? Wow is that scarey.....I agree with the others that this guy should be known so no one else will unknowingly buys another one of his "materpieces"....... If you would have drove that car and had the suspension break and cause a nasty accident you can bet a huge law suit would have been in the works especially if the investigator found out the crappy work was to blame....

Sorry to hear and see that you were taken for a ride so to speak.......I would definately give that car one thourough investigation before driving it again...

3. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i've seen it a million times and so have you. anybody with a MIG welder these days thinks he is a hot rod/kustom/chopper builder. buyer beware. i have fixed so many F-ed up air ride suspensions over the years i lost count. you would'nt believe some of the shit i've seen done by so called "professionals". scary shit out there. these HACKS are the ones who give the rest of us a bad name and when the shit they "built" goes bad and kills somebody that is when we get more "idiot laws". those are the laws that out government official make up to protect us from ourselves. do you REALY think we need more laws?? i don't. don't be an idiot. if you don't know how to do something properly get help. ESPECIALY if it has anything to do with the suspension/steering of your car or any part that has a direct factor on safety.

...ok. lecture over.;)

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I never said you need to buy a lift but there are plenty of places that for a small fee would get that car in the air or over a pit.i have yet to run in to a place with either that wouldn't let me get a look under a car if i slipped them a 20

You might well have proven my next point yourself here

Did the guy you bought the car from do the work OR is he the guy who knows less about this kind of thing than you and thinks it was good work because he either paid some body to do the work for him who convinced him they knew what they were doing, OR bought the car from someone else without knowing it was hacked ?there isn't one of us in this hobby that didn't go through a learning period where we would know that this was a hack job!

I clearly gave you credit for checking the entire system once you found a minor problem with part of it AND said i could see how something like this could be hidden by the suspension when everything was inplace

NOWHERE did I say you would be an IDIOT and NOT fix this thing safely and correctly!

as a former professional mechanic with roughly 20 active years in the trade I heavily suggest you find some place to get that car on a lift and look at the underbelly as a full package.I suggest either some muffler shop or a quick lube type place.They will tell you at first that Insurance regs won't allow a customer in the service area ,at this point gently remind them that if they wanted to sell you a set of shocks or something you didn't come in for THEY would not hesitate walking you into service to SHOW you the suspect part!
    Around here in N.E. Ct. quick lubes get 19.95 for lube and filter. A 20 going straight into some bodys pocket with out doing any actual service usually will get you a few minutes on the lift or pit hopefully a lift.Stand back and watch it go up is anything out of kilter on the way up? I can tell you from experience that for some reason you can crawl around on your back under that thing for 2 days straight and miss something that is obvious on a lift!No matter how carefully you go over it.Did who ever installed the bags do a engine swap etc?The welding on any other component of this car isn't going to be any better than those bag mounts if he did the work!I think you know what you should be looking for

Ive been here on the HAMB for roughly 2 years and I question Why someone will post a "I paid such and such a company for such as such a part and they are assholes because my part isn't here or they shipped the wrong one or what ever!But,when something like this is posted they won't identify the dangerous hack that did it !

None of this was intended as a personal attack BUT you clearly took it that way!

You say you were out on the ship for a month is that in any way military connected ?If so THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

No, I think you just have a huge reading comprehension problem. He was agreeing and said he would get a lift...I take it as getting it on a lift before purchase.

The guy just started a post and pointed something out for us to think about in the future. Why do some guys have to write epic novels and dissect sentences to create drama? Man oh man...move along and find something to do. Its Christmas Day...

6. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

damn that's insane, this is the type of shit that makes me just cringe....

flaco

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Jesus......i cant believe what some people do and actually put on the street...

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thats what pisses me off, if this car, causes a serious accident, killed somebody, etc, they will look at the bag setup and ruin it for everybody else that did it right, same goes for some of those questionable suicide perches etc, on Hot Rods and many other Micky Mouse work done by underqualified welders.
    One big accident and there will be a law against our cars, and fuck it up for all of us.

9. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

If you take a minute to read my intro you will indeed find I have dislexia and adhd and that writing anything is a major chore for me!punctuation for the most part just doesn't make sense to me it's not that I don't want to use it or am too careless to.Because of the learning handicap I have had to go through many intelagence Tests as a result of these it was found my IQ registers in the high end of above average right around 150 this is most common in people with these handicaps.Whats yours?I did not seperate my stuff for drama I simple answered each of his points in turn as he did mine.I have never given anyone any shit on the HAMB Unless I felt Directly attacked Check any of my posts I have appologized several times on here if someone DID take offense with something i said If you will reread that post you will see that I said it was NOT my intention to attack just mabey he and others would take that as an APOLOGY!Did he take offense to my origonal reply ?He certainly DID or he would have not written that last line
    "Now that I know there is a problem I have no intention of correcting it "

As for who's creating DRAMA here that would be you getting in my shit because there is a miss understanding between me and someone else I was speaking to!It is up to him and I to come to an understanding NOT for someone else to to jump into the middle of !

If you or he knew me in person you would also know that were we in reasonable traveling distance of each other I would be the first one to offer my help to him in redoing that work without charge if he wanted help

10. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

succinct = perfect;)

11. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

WTF, That looks like something I would build!:eek:

12. eltiberius

eltiberius

Looks like the "pro" job I got at a "professional shop" who's scotts will remain nameless. Not only did the rear left wheel come off in 1/2 mile, the rear bags were mounted so poorly that I am still re-doing the entire rear set-up myself. The hoses were routed in a similar fashion to what I see in the photos too! By the way, the wheels were 5" pattern bolted with hardware store nuts and big washers onto a 4.5" pattern hubs. ...idiots...and he's been on TV!
    I do better work in my driveway and I shoulda known better.

13. I guess you dodged a bullet! Too bad stuff like that is still being done.

14. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Fucking hell no. Still dodging the smog test bullshit where I am at and dont need any more regulations.
    Glad you caught your problems before anything happened. Shit ass work like that can be on ANY used vehicle, not only customized ones.
    I would like to know if the guys that are bitching you out for not inspecting have got under every used car they have bought or test drove. I dont hardly think so.

15. It looks like it was thrown together with whatever bits and pieces were in the scrap bin leftover from other projects (other fuckups?). And somehow got the welder to sneeze on it to hold it together. I bet they spent an entire HOUR putting that together to get the car out the door.

I may sell overpriced shit, but at least mine isn't likely to get you killed while driving it down the street.

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

17. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

leon, throttle back buddy! i didnt take offense at anything you said, i simply was replying that from now on, putting a modified car on a lift would be a good idea. seriously, i'm sorry if it seemed like that. i am still waiting on a reply from his email about who did the work. theres a local muffler shop with a pit they'll let me check my car our for sure. thankfully i dont think the welder got used anywhere else on the car!
    me being on the ship is military related, i am a structure mechanic for the navy for hornets, super hornets, and H-60 helos. i am used to doing THOROUGH inspections on aircraft, i am more embarrassed that i shirked this car inspection than anything! :cool:

i hope you and your family have an awesome christmas, i didnt have the chance to go "home" but at least i'm in the same country as my wife this year. i appreciate your thanks, i hope you accept my apology :)

18. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I was offered a really good deal on a bagged car that a friend was selling on behalf of a third party. I drove it, and passed, because I just don't like the feel of an airbagged car, I had no idea who did the work on the car, and because the price was too good.(i.e. if it's too good to be true, it probably ain't!) Cut to a couple of weeks later, my friend is driving this P.O.S. on the freeway, and one of the tie rod ends comes loose! He was okay, but it turned out the whole front end was a nightmare of bad workmanship.

19. Muttley

Muttley

About five minutes after the first episode of OverTheCounterChoppers™ hit the air.

20. LOL.. thats some funny shit right there... now we know where the guy who built that car got the brackets from, he fabricated them himself in the bathroom.

21. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Indeed, I nearly blew soda all over my monitor when I read that bowl cobra bit.

Gonna steal that one I am. :D

22. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Don't be embarressed ,I buy crap cars all the time because I know they are crappy and I expect things to be crappy on them.As mark in Japan says,In Australia we have drakonian laws designed to suppress hot rods so we have to buy new cars from the majors,rather than recycle or mod old ones.
    By posting this up,you bring attention on those who will fuck it up for you in the USA by applying shoddy techniques to customers jobs. laws like we have will destroy the entire Hot rod thing. We have experienced it here over the last 30 years and believe me you don't want it!! There is nothing more stupid or stubborn than a politician bent on creating a law which will see their own name go down in history thus making them immortal,no matter what law it is.
    Keep it up and let us know what the other party has to say in their defence.

23. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

It doesn't have to be a bagged system to be scary, stupid shit.
    I am glad that I decided to install the quick change rear end now, and not a year or two down the road.
    Might not have lived that long.
    When I removed the rear brake backing plates from the axle housing, this is what I found.
    And that I had been driving the car for a few months like this is scary.
    You could not see anything wrong from the top or back side.
    And while I had been under the car, I was never under these mounts.
    Definately a WTF moment. :eek:
    Lime Works repaired the stupidity for me when they did the quick change machining, and they now look like new.
    This one of a number of reasons the Dodge has been taken ALL the way apart, looked at very closely, and reassembled. '22

Attached Files:

• dre2.jpg
      dre2.jpg
      File size:
      106.1 KB
      Views:
    • pre2.jpg
      pre2.jpg
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
    • pre.jpg
      pre.jpg
      File size:
      85.6 KB
      Views:
  24. Caveat Emptor......the dude was not real bright and bought a piece of shit. Hopefully next time he gets it.

That doesnt excuse the total POS that pawned that car off as "done", he should be hung up on the yard arm.

25. Muttley

Muttley

Thats one of the funniest things I've ever read................I've been laughing so hard for the last five minutes that I almost blew chunks.

26. Alaskanrocket

Alaskanrocket

Whats Wrong with it? ;)

27. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

"when did every noob become a fabricator???"

Remember this when you post that advice or tech thread to some dude who displays his lack of knowledge (with a question like..."whats the oldskoolest way to bend and reweld my 75 year old cast iron steering arms, and make them still look rusty???")

the "have a go, son" advice needs to be tempered with...."AND THEN GET ONE OF YOUR LOCAL HAMBERS TO CHECK IT OVER FOR YOU"

or in Australia......ANY PROFESSIONALLY modified steering component MUST be X-RAY tested for certification (forget it for backyarders)....you really learn how to just use stock parts in ingenious ways!;)

28. leadsled01

leadsled01

me being on the ship is military related, i am a structure mechanic for the navy for hornets, super hornets, and H-60 helos. i am used to doing THOROUGH inspections on aircraft, i am more embarrassed that i shirked this car inspection than anything! :cool:

Oh ya, the old gundeck. (Navy term for being lazy and not doing your job)

29. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Sorry kids...I'm really kind of "down" on the home taught welder right now. See, I have this 30 Tudor...which looks like 99 percent of the welding done on the body was done at a distance with spitwads. I'm really not looking forward to the 24 hours of grinding, cutting and re-chopping I'm gonna have to do to make it presentable...but in a departure from the "norm" This car actually belongs to me.

I bought it knowing it is scabbed and horrible. Why?

Because it's benifits outweigh the "nasties"
    bitchin steel floors throughout. Bitchin firewall (May be a brookville)
    most of the patches- though poorly done- are there. and the "bravery" to begin a delivery door in the rear has already been started- which is good, because if the "butt" were solid, I would have a hard time whittling on it. The whole thing- van roof and all- was 700 bones. Too cheap!
    point being...we all buy crap sometimes simply due to it's ability to be cheap enough crap to tolerate.

30. JamesG

JamesG

Not just bagged cars can be nightmares.