Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mark IV under-dash A/C - what did this come outa?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by versicat, Dec 22, 2007.

1. versicat

versicat

Hello All,

I am about to install this Mark IV Under-dash unit in my '63 'Squire (because it looks cool and fits well). I'm curious re what these came in (Lincolns, I assume), or even if they were factory installed at all (were they an after-market only unit?).
    Will it be significantly less effective than the SelectAire unit (it's a bit smaller)?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

- Adam

Attached Files:

2. 59 brook

59 brook

my dad had one installed on a 63 plymouth wagon when i was a kid and my 59 chevy wagon had one in it when i bought it along with a thank you letter from the manufacturer to the car owner

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The Mark IV A/C unit was sold as a universal add on A/C unit. The under dash part that you have was the same for most any make and model. The compressor mounts that they supplied were different for different makes and engines. It's not a Lincoln part.

Some of the factories did offer under dash units like the Mustangs and Chevrolet's from the middle 60's.

4. versicat

versicat

Thanks! Great info.

I'm about to spend a small fortune getting it all together so it blows cold (hoses, dryer, valve, evacuation, freon, etc.) - y'all find that they work well? Is it important that I have the larger Ford SelectAire unit if I want cold A/C?

Peace,

- A

5. fms427

fms427

I think you'll be happy with it. I have a similar unit in a 47 Ford, and it will freeze the interior - in very hot weather !! Most underdash units put out much more cold than the in- dash Vintage Air type unit, since it has a lot more efficient air flow. :)

6. I have one for The Ugly Truck.

7. versicat

versicat

Holy sh*t - nice project! Will stay tuned...

8. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

Versicat,

The only downside to underdash air is the vents are mounted so low. Other than that, I think you'll be happy with it. I had a similar unit in my Jeep Wagoneer and even with 134 in it you could freeze your turnips if you weren't careful.

9. I have one exactly the same in my COE and it works great. There was a tag on mine with the old hoses indicating it was 1962 Ford installation originally. I had custom hoses made up, that was the most expensive part, rest was swap meet parts except for a new Sanden compressor. I am very limited on space in engine compartment, so the Sanden was the best choice. I assume you will use R-134a, and you need as large and efficient of a condenser as possible for best results.

10. versicat

versicat

I was going to use R12... Mistake?

Thx,

- Adam

11. monsterflake

monsterflake

vintage is re-popping the mark IV, i imagine you can everything you need from them...

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have one just like it waiting for something to put it in,it might go in my 65 custom 500 if I keep it. I had a sears add on a/c in a 53 olds and it worked great. Jeff

14. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

What he said. Call 'em and ask for George Packard.

There are VA dealers that are Alliance members too.