Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Dvd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pecker head, Dec 23, 2007.

1. pecker head

pecker head

Last week I received a package through the mail , that had ROD & Custom logo on it ! I opened it and there was a DVD from Hot Rod mag. in it . They want me to buy it or send it back . I don't have any dealings with that mag . If I throw it in trash am I gonna get billed for it ? Why should I use my time to send it back ? :confused: Any body else get the same :confused: later Peck :cool:

2. Dirty2

Dirty2

I got 1 also ???? Did you look at it ?

3. is it any good?? and what they askin for it? hot rod still ok if you can get past some of the B.S.!

4. pecker head

pecker head

not yet . Is it worth watching ?

5. pecker head

pecker head

6. i watched it last night. it actually goes into the details of a restoration and not just gloss over stuff like the TV shows. i think it is worth watching. it covers disassembly of a `70 chevelle abd floor pan replacement. future DVD's will cover the rest up to finish of the restoration

it also has some bonus coverage of some Drag Week thing and the Hot Rod Reunion

as for sending it back...if you read the fine print it says you are under no obligation to do anything and if you don't send it back it is a a gift

7. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

Anything you receive in the mail unsolicited is yours to keep, no one is allowed to bill you for something they send you if you didn't request them to do so.

8. well hell yeah!!! and the price is exactly right!

9. el chuco

el chuco

Yeah, no action required as stated already. It does say to send it back though if you want to so it can be recycled and sent to others that might be interested in purchasing the full blown versions of these videos. I thought I'd chuck it back in the mail but then had second thoughts--what if I send it back and it opens up a shitstorm of junk mail because they know I'm a living, breathing person that opens all of my mail? Nothing's free. Now I feel like a little bitch for ranting about something this insignificant.:confused:

10. hell no you aint , thats the best way for them to suck you in!!:(

11. Phil1934

Phil1934

If you don't send it back you will receive weekly notices asking for the tape or money. I finally e mailed HRM and told them to send me a prepaid envelope and they could have it back, which they did.

12. I got one of those in the mail too. Seems kinda shady making people think they have to pay for it when they sent it unsolicited.

There was some crap like that where they sent my son a NASCAR DVD unsolicited when he was like 10 years old and then some goofball kept calling over and over and demanding that we pay for it and telling us that more were on the way and that we had to either pay for them or send them back. I told them to go to hell. I think somebody must have put his name on a mailing list when he signed up for Cub Scouts or something.

13. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

You should send them a bucket of rusty bolts and ask them to pay you for them or send it back.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

That publishing company recently changed ownership again so who knows what the hell they are up to. Sure isn't the same as when Peterson ran it. Anything for a buck.

15. Scam artists do the very same thing. They play on the odds that a percentage will pay without question. I'd keep it...

16. martell06

martell06

Well, I got one from them and was a sucker enough to pay the $7 for it. The next one they sent me was around $20 and I sent it back figuring they would just keep getting more expensive. Glad I know about the unsolicited thing now.

17. ...I got one and watched it, thot it was actually pretty good, and the bonus Drag Week and Cal.Hot Rod Reunion coverage was cool. I'd probly keep buyin em at $7.00 each; but if the next one's $20 it'll have to be really good. I'd like to see the next one especially if it has the bonus coverage stuff.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I doesn't cost ANYTHING to send it back..........it comes with a pre-paid sleeve, similar to Blockbuster or Netflix, you only send the disc back, not the DVD case.....

19. DrJ

DrJ

I guess that knowledge would have requred actually opening up the package before tossing it, wuldn't it?

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

They're gonna keep sending payment notices if you don't send it back. And if you call and remind them that they're skirting on illegal tactics, they'll tell ya they never intended to collect on the debt and they'll remove your name from the list.

In the meanwhile, they'll sell thousands of videos thru simple coercion of repeat payment notices.

It's a scumball business practice. Don't encourage it by returning the DVD or paying.

21. i'm not gonna return mine...if they hassle me for payment i will just gather it all up and forward it to the Minnesota Attorney General's office

this has worked for me several times in the past with shady business practices....i never hear from them again

22. Got the first one on sheet metal restoration.Actually the guy goes into detail on what he is doing. No "we're gonna do this" & skip to "now here's what it should look like when you're finished". One of the better instruction programs I've seen. And I still haven't recieved a bill for it or any other DVDs.:D

23. pecker head

pecker head

Dang ! I think i'll shit can it !

24. hscott

hscott

yup, $7.00 seems like a good deal, I took the bait. Next one I recieved was billed 19.95 + 4.95 sh; or I can return it after I pay 2.13 for the postage.

25. That's happened to me as well, keep the dvd and if they call tell them fuck off. After they heard that from me a couple times they stopped sending me letters and calling. What a bunch of pricks.

26. pecker head

pecker head

I'm gonna keep the return envelope so when they start sending the letters I'll mail them back to them at their exspence ! later Peck

27. silent rick

silent rick

can't you guys read? it says you're under no obligation to do anything. it says to send in 7 bucks if you wish to keep receiving others in the series. of course, the rest will be at regular pricing. i watched it, i'll keep it. i don't think i want the others. this looks like a how to on assembling a project. i was wishing there was more fabrication involved. it looks like evrything for the project can be gotten from a catalog. where's the fun in that?

28. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I was so stoked when I read if i don't do anything i can keep the DVD since it covers in detail doing floor pans on my 64 olds and really gives me the confidence to do it. and know its not gonna be crappily done. ITs funny cuz they say they dont even know what the DVD's will be about but that they want money for em. But if they are as good as this preview DVD they might be worth the money.

29. GTSDave

GTSDave

I just got one in the mail today but it was Car Craft on the cover. As I do have a subscription to CarCraft. Got it for a couple of bucks when renewing my popular hot rodding.

This one it titled DREAM BUILD LIBRARY Complete Bodywork and Sheetmetal Prepearation.

Now what pissed me off the most was my copy of Car Kulture DeLuxe. It showed up with just the front cover in a Postal Service baggie saying "We Care". If they cared they wouldn't have effed up my magazine.

Could it be they are starting up a new trick from 2007? or is this a different DVD from the ones that started this thread.

-Dave

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  30. Big Tony

Big Tony

I hate scam-tactics... pisses me off... Hey peck send me the cd ..I'll watch it for ya for a fee :~)