Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T...old model airplane engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadpete, Dec 19, 2007.

1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

back in the day lots of the guys messed with the pylon racers, and u control model planes, they were into Harleys, limey,s [triumph, bsa ariels etc] and also the speedboats were big toys! Ohh yea and some real airplanes too. I had my heart set on a Ohlssen and Rice 60, [that was one of the big boys], to put in a racer.

2. rixrex

rixrex

Somewhere in my cool and unusual catalog collection, I remember a catalog of working four-stroke radial aircraft engines in miniature sizes, one about the size of a big apple costing a couple thousand?..the catalog had a photo of a scale B-17 with four of the engines and a five-foot wingspan..I've always wanted to see/hear one of those, I'll bet its awesome...

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of stuff on youtube with the 1/4 scale models. This link is to a B-17..looks like about 8 foot wingspan. Lots more there as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx61LljemyQ&feature=related

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !!

4. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

My Dad has an antique Cyclone Super Sixty (left over from his model days in the late fifties, early sixties). When I was a kid, he dug it out, at my insistence, to show me what i sounded like. He clamped it in his vice on his workbench, cobbled up a fuel tank with some ancient glow fuel, hooked up the battery (kinda tall eveready, 1 1/2 volts with screw terminals on top) stuck his thumb on the carb intake and rotated the prop a few times. The engine , all primed and ready for a flip of the prop, is sitting there, the glow fuel just frying, sizzle and popping thru the exhaust port. Well, he give her a flip, the engine immediately fires, smacking his middle finger three times before he could get clear of it. While he is looking at his finger, inspecting the damage, the engine is screaming away in the vice... until it releases itself from the cast iron shackles and augers itself right in his groin. Now, when you are seven, thats funny, but needless to say Pop was not amused.

tc

5. lewislynn

lewislynn

My mom bought me one similar to that at Disneyland (of all places) around 1956...Like everything else, I wish I still had it.

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Rescued this one from Dad's Estate sale, couple smaller ones got away. This one says Brown Motor, junior motor corporation, philadelphia. number is 12693 C. Ignition looks like magnito with adjustable breaker points , to spark plug. Prop is 14 inches long.

Fuel supply is just the copper tube with the lever controlled jet needle in the venturi area or the air inlet.

Apparently these were made from 1937 to 1940 in Philiadelphia based on design named for the fellow in the linked article.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/a/f/afn1/scrc/Bill_Brown/billbrwn.htm

I know my father was into aircraft and flight. He and a friend were co owners of an Aeronica 2J and at least two gliders in the years just before WWII. He and a group of friends also build some auto engine powered prop driven Ice/ Snow vehicles.

Anyway if anyone has any more info on this motor or how much value it might have feel free to chime in.

Attached Files:

7. The very first radio control model I ever saw, was in 1958. It was a B-17 powered by four O&R 60s. It was such a remarkable event for me that I never forgot exactly where I saw the airplane. It was a beautiful piece of workmanship! The radio control box was monstrous compared to today's units.
    Bob

8. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

For those of you that where around the RCs and control lines 10 or more years ago and have not been around them since you should go check them out again. The power to weight has changed so much we are now doing thing with RC plane you would not think posibale. We have 150 cc motors making 17 hp in 40% air frames. You can hang a plane on the prop and back it to the ground, touch the rudder on the ground and pull streight up.

Attached Files:

9. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

This is two of my planes. Not 40%ers but 27%ers Big enough for me, for now

Attached Files:

10. jhmagill

jhmagill

If it's a Brown, PM me, I can get you in contact with an expert. One of my flying buddies was good friends with the late Bill Brown. I actually got to play around with the FIRST brown engine, the one he made in high school. Brown also made CO2 motors. Very cool! Got a bunch of them.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Your hot rodding a U control reminds me of my uncle. A closet hot rodder (his daily driver was a 57 Olds 4dr with a J-2)

He decided to build an entry level U control P-51 Mustang in the late 50s. I'm guessing that it was meant to run an .049 but he said heck with that and bought a much larger engine. The first flight started out OK but it was sooo fast that he was spinning like a top trying to keep up with the over powered plane. He spun around until he got dizzy and fell over and the beautiful little plan crashed into the macadam. That was the end of his model airplane exploits.

12. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

love r/c, but have stuck to 'surface' models. nothing like 3hp in a 10-12lb 4 wheel drive truck with 6" of suspension travel

[​IMG]