Register now to get rid of these ads!

4-speed 1963 country squire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squatch, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Squatch

Squatch

Hey guys,

Been here a while lurking around. Any one got an idea on how to find out how rare this wagon is? I got 2 wagons and a sedan a couple weeks ago. Mainly for parts... The rusty one has a factory console bucket seats and a 4-speed... the other is a TN car and really very decent... I want to take all the 4-speed stuff and put it in my country squire... cause mine's way nicer... Was just kinda curious on #'s produced...

Oops... the one on the left is the TN car...
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

u check the vin sure it was factory?

3. Squatch

Squatch

Yup... 71G=bucket seats... 5 code trans= wide ratio 4 speed...

4. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

I'm thinkin' it was a special order with that combo.
    Never seen one like that.
    Cool.

5. FEDER

FEDER

Go to the Ford FE Forum.com There are some guys over there who can help You out Im sure. Very hard to track special; order cars for numbers. Ford didnt keep that good of records. Could have been done at a dealership also. I have two 66 4dr hardtops with factory 4 spds. Both assembled in LA. Go figure. FEDER

6. EdselRich

EdselRich

just do what you want but put everything in a pile that way when you sell it later that guy can worry how rare it is with all the extra pieces

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Nope. It had to be factory assembled since it is shown on the data plate. Also, Ford kept exhaustively detailed records. Unfortunately, most of these sort of production records prior to 1967 were destroyed...Ford thought that they had no value. Thanks to Kevin Marti [http://www.martiauto.com/], the 1967 and up records were saved.

8. They did make them, a friend has one. they are hardback buckets and if I remember correctly, they do not fold forward.

They are pretty rare. If you end up junking one out, save all the #'s off the car, and you will have to keep the stuff in the floor for the seats.

The floors are different, bracing and such, look at a regular wagon and you will see the differences.

9. Squatch

Squatch

Thanks... alot of good info... I thought about Marti, but they can only go back to 67?
    I am junking that one out. Too rusty...

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I hate to always be "That guy," but even if it's rusty, try selling it or putting it on ebay. What engine was in it?
    Station wagons have been hot for a while, and a factory 4spd/bucket seat wagon with all the numbers might be enough to get a couple people really excited about it, rusty or not.
    If it's a big block, you have a hole in your head for junking it, not matter how rusty it is.

Check out the website Wagons of Steel, and search out a few Ford boards and see what kind of response you get.

I know finding a 4spd bucket seat Chevelle, Bel Air or Buick wagon, even rusty, would be worth a lot more than scrap prices.

-Brad

11. Squatch

Squatch

Well... I thought the same thing, but it's REALLY rusty... Like "the roof nearly blew completely off when it was towed here" LOL It flipped up like a tuna can... It has a 352 in it... but istead of a 2bbl like it should be.. It's a 4bbl. It has several OLD dragway stickers on the 1/4 windows... It's reaaaaallllllyyyy rusty... I want the buckets, console, steering column, clutch parts for mine. BTW it has XL pedals, too...

Mike

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I sounds like an old Super Stocker. I know the there were several Mopar wagons with 2x4 413 and 426 Wedge engines in them back then. The power-to-weight factors really favored 9 passenger wagons.
    Does it look like its ever been repainted? That'd be cool as hell to find war paint under the top coat! Shame it's that far gone...don't know how you feel about it, but a lot of cars have been "rebodied."

-Brad

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I knew a fellow that special ordered a 70-72 (I can't remember the exact year) Olds Vista cruiser with the 4 spd. The salesman tried like hell to talk him out of it. His wife loved to drive it as her DD. I always wondered what ever happened to that car.

It was quite common if not normal to order the car you wanted back then.

14. Olds Mike

Olds Mike
    from Spokane WA

I've got a '63 Country Squire with factory XL style interior. Third owner. What I've been able to figure is that the XL interior was a 63 1/2 option offered by FoMoCo along with all of their other 1/2 year intros that year, i.e., Falcon Sprint package, fastback Galaxie roofline, 427, 289HP Fairlane and I'm sure a few more. Mid year '63 was a big deal for us Ford Fans. Also, the 4 speed tranny was available to the entire Galaxie line as long as it backed a V-8. I've personally seen a '63 Country Sedan(Bench Seat) with 390-4V and 4 speed. I'll attempt to attach a pic of my 63's interior. Mine is a 352-2V with Cruiso. It will eventually be powered by my '63 427 and C-6.

Attached Files:

15. Olds Mike

Olds Mike
    from Spokane WA

There was one more thing I wanted to say about Ford's records prior to '66 or so - I've read/heard somehwere that there was a fire in some building in Dearborn where all of the records were kept hence the loss of statistical records on anything '66 and back.

Attached Files:

16. Squatch

Squatch

Way cool, Mike.. Thanks for all the great help... Nice ride... Did you refinish the trim?

17. Squatch

Squatch

Is yours a 6 or 9 passenger? I need a lead on the 3rd row seat... I wanna add one...
    Mike

18. I'm not a big fan of old Ford station wagons - no offense meant; they're just not my thing, and I'm not big on telling other guys what they should do with their money or time...

But, I'd give you another X2 on researching value before shredding the 'parts' wagon. You might find that you'd done the equivalent of parting a 6 pack Roadrunner to put parts into a Satellite...

Good luck however it pans out.

-bill

19. eltiberius

eltiberius

I don't know about any documentation, but I drove my Mom's 63 Country Squire to see Jimi Hendrix at the Forum...with all my buddies in the car...I may have been high at the time..

20. are the seats non-folding? they are correct about not getting rid of that so called "rusty hulk" so quick. it may turn out to be worth more with the other wagon as a parts car.

21. Squatch

Squatch

Olds Mike... are yours non-folding?

22. Olds Mike

Olds Mike
    from Spokane WA

Regarding the third seat - they're kind of a funky thing that folds up from the floor and the seat cushions are buttoned on. Really. Ours has the third seat which we like to leave down most of the time. And for the faux wood, the second owner glued on what looks like shelf/wall paper available at Lowe's/Home Depot. We're going to redo it along with the fiberglass trim.
    You could easily transfer all the parts from the rust bucket to your better car to make your own XL wagon with 4 speed. It depends on your skill level, money available and most importantly - your gumption. Because the XL wagon with a factory 4 speed is going to be worth more if restored. And it sounds like you need to literally re-body the car including the VIN door badge and the firewall tag. The frame on the these cars has the original VIN. It's generally on the right front portion near the starter. Good Luck!

23. Olds Mike

Olds Mike
    from Spokane WA

And yes the bucket seat backs to fold just like an two door XL.

24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Wagons were big in the old junior stock era because of the required 7 inch tires. The extra overhang put more weight on the rear tires. Same deal with the SS cars that only had 10 inch tires available. The Chevy 56-57 sedan deivery were also allowed to run the 4 speed hydro instead of the powerglide which was the hot setup before high stall convertors came along

25. versicat

versicat

I've got one too - LOVE it. '63 Squire, factory 4spd 390. The 390 is in the garage, it now has a tri-power 428 CJ ...:)
    - Adam

26. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I hauled a body to Canada for Dessertratrodder a few years ago and the guy was restoring one. He said production was in the low 200s, I wouldn't part it out.

27. Squatch

Squatch

Hmmmm crap.... I wanted to, but now I'm torn... Versicat.... You have any pictures? BTW I picked up a tripower for my 390 also... I'm stoked! My kids think we're in a parade eveytime we go somewhere... They love it. 5 and 3years...

I can't believe all people that zoom up to us or "thumbs up" or just want to talk...

28. versicat

versicat

I need to get some more pix up - will work on that soon - thanks for asking. I've tried to attached a quick picture of the floor-shift and the engine as it is now (and was with the pent-roof valve covers and the original air cleaner. Right now I've got the rear axles and the rear "chunk" out, changing it from 3:25 ratio to 4:11 (put a new 3:25 limited slip chunk in, way too tall gearing with those wheels/tires). Also working on getting the A/C set up - big pain in the a**, but absolutely necessary in S. Florida!
    Re. tri-power - these are a MAJOR pain if not in great condition. I was warned that my used carbs would be warped (where the metering block bolts to the main body - and they were). It's taken a good deal of work to get plane them flat and get them working, but now that they are, they work very well.
    By the way... Anyone know where I can find a headliner bow???
    Thanks!
    - Adam

Attached Files:

29. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I know where a 390, 4v, 4spd, console, bucket seat 63 galaxie wagon is up in Wisconsin. I am in desperate need of some galaxie parts and this guy has the wagon and four other 63's just sitting behind a barn. Won't take calls and won't answer the door...........same old story all over again.

30. Squatch

Squatch

The chrome one or the one behind the panel that screws to the roof?