Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cool old toolboxes???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29-a-freak, Dec 17, 2007.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

i find them on craigslist every couple of weeks

2. The mirror in the lid makes it a machinist's chest.

I paid $85 for mine at HF (scratched, who cares). It is solid wood and heavy. It's not quite like the one in the photo Chadillac posted.

3. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Yep, the HF model is a total knockoff of the Starret case, right down to the diamond-mounted mirror. My old man gave me his Starret filled with Starret tools, he paid $1k in the '80's, god knows what it would cost now. But it's actual hardwood, beautifully made.

4. fletcher

fletcher
    from Missouri

Out of curiosity, what purpose does the mirror serve?

5. Starret doesn't make their tool boxes.The metal Starrett boxes are
    made by Kennedy,the only difference is the color of the felt,and the badge.
    Kennedy uses Brown felt for their own,Red for Starrett.

The wooden ones are probably made by an outfit in Ohio,starts with a G,IIRC.

The metal Starrett boxes list for almost double the price of the same Kennedy
    box.So the markup on the wooden boxes is probably similar.

6. In case you get a cinder or metal shaving in your eye... so I'm told. I'm not a machinist, I don't even play one on TV.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

These are $49.99 on their website...

[​IMG]

8. i have one that looks like bomb/ vacuum cleaner with wheels on the bottom.. split down the middle

9. fletcher

fletcher
    from Missouri

Bobby Green's got one of those; accents his belly tank nicely. I'd kill for one of those (well, at least maim.)

10. hotrodhambones

hotrodhambones
    from louisiana

i have a blue point i will sell for $75.00 plus shipping.
    keith

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

In the original pics the big boxes were mech boxes. when i worked with a crop duster in the 50s he had one of those. when i went into the A.F. in the late 50s those boxes were used by mech. Several yrs later ,I bought about 50 of them in salvage. great boxes with the right look and good seats while you were waiting.

12. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

The mirror is a holder for the "powdery white assisstant" when pulling an all nighter.:D

13. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

14. fletcher

fletcher
    from Missouri

A bit like a tackle box. I use an old metal tackle box for electronics, the small compartments are handy. I have one or two 'new' toolboxes, but use a combination of flea market cast off steel boxes and military ammo boxes.

15. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

yeah those military ammo boxes are really handy they hold alot and there really easy to carry...

16. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

Here's some pictures of a tool box I got off a buddy, who bought it From Ermie Immero's Auction a couple years ago. He or I havent' really toutched it since we brought it home from the auction. It still has a few of his tools and a lot of neat cam cards and other old "paperwork" and brochures, Including a letter from Mickey Thompson thanking the purchaser of the "Mickey Cart". As you can see I bought it for the stickers too.

BYC

Attached Files:

17. Just throwin' in my deux centavos. This is a toolbox my grandpa hand-made. Steel with rivets holding it together. Not sure 100% about the age, but I've had it over 30 years. My pal, Mace, named it "2 Box". photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

18. Don't know if the OP is still looking for a box;being as how this post is nearly 7 years old. The first two pics were boxes I had done up and sold. I still have a bunch of them around for sale including a couple of the Kennedy pent roof boxes. Most are painted but a couple are still "virgin". PM if interested.