Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Drag Strip Thread Redux-Plymouth Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., Dec 17, 2007.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

In reference to this thread... LINK

I was surprised when I got the following note in email.

Wow. Officially...I've got to find one of these. Only thing close to these lines (for me) was a '33 Dodge I saw at Roundup. I like the tallish looking chickenpit. Much different from the Fords.

I've reduced them and tried to sharpen them some. Other than that they've been cropped to kind of fit. Still large but I didn't want to lose much more detail in case someone wants a reference pic.

Awesome. Can't wait to meet you sir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the "having the time of my life" award goes to....

[​IMG]

Great pics.

AHotRod likes this.
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I like those early Mopars too.

Only thing is, when running an original grille shell and hood but fenderless, the beltline runs "up" toward the front of the car. That one with a Deuce shell looks awesome!

3. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

cool photos . man that screams chop me, and take another 1'' out of the front !.....

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Bad Ass! Love that stuff.

5. Road King

Road King

Blacksix-- and--gwhite,
    Thanks for the help you and others have given trying to get these photos up. I didn't know if I was sucessful untill I saw them here. I'll bring some albums to Jimmies in January for people to enjoy.
    Thanks again
    Road King

AHotRod likes this.
  6. Road King...God bless you brother for blazin the trail for us young 'uns.

Can't get the scanner to work, so I'm going over to a friend's house tomorrow to scan in that issue of Hot Rod with the full spread on this car.

I gotta see that album....road trip to Jimmies in Jan!

7. Here is a pic of my 34 Plym. Gonna get started on this in the fall of 08. Ilove the lines and tail of the Plyms.
    Later, Bryan

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  8. Are you going to build a new frame for that one?

9. I hope to find a '33-'34 coupe someday. For now I am trying to piece together a roadster pickup from a few scraps. It will be back under construction next year after The Ugly Truck is on the road.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    The build thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145423

10. those pics are friggin great

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That has to be the baddest of all. Very cool photos

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Where is the car in the photos now?

13. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Loved the pics!! Love the early Plymouths!! (see sig...)

Thanks!!

Dave

14. Looks like the hood, and rear fenderwells were replaced with aluminum. Also, some tubing all around the bottom, maybe some type of bellypan? Really looking forward to seeing those photo albums.

15. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

So with that AA/G designation and an exhaust pipe runnin'through the door,,,,,,,,what's the blower wheezin' into?

16. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Cool pics....makes me wonder if I was there when they were taken. I grew up and still live just a couple miles from the drag strip and still go there occasionally. I can remember them running 4 at a time side by side one time there. It was a practice airfield in WWII and has been used as a drag strip and a truck driving school as well as having cattle run on it. They race at night every Sat now, from about 4 pm to midnight or later.

17. [​IMG] Re: Texas Drag Strip Thread Redux-Plymouth Pics
    <hr style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> Where is the car in the photos now?

In one of the other links posted in this thread it has been said that the car was parted to the four winds.

18. Mart, TX, up near Waco? You must be thinking of another strip, these were taken at the old Dickinson strip down near Galveston. Sounds cool, I wish we had some home-town Saturday night action like that around here. All the action now is at Unclee's house.;)

19. MBTex

MBTex

I believe from the first post. These photos were taken at Prarie Hill

20. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1959 must have been a cool time. I was born a generation too late...

AHotRod likes this.
  21. MBTex

MBTex

I think the original photos posted were at Houston International. But these additional ones were at Prarie Hill. I was born to late also..

22. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

I thought in the first post Road King said he took those pictures at Prairie Hill which is about 20 miles east of Waco. I have a Mart address but I only live about 4 miles from the strip. Kinda looks like the strip did back then....wide open pasture....No lights, stands or buildings, you just parked and watched the flag man start each race. I think I can get some more pictures from there and post them. No matter where he took them they are very interesting.
    Jerry

23. Road King

Road King

To all,
    I'll try to clear up the confusion. Three or four years ago I passed a swap meet booth and saw a photo of a large group of dragsters that was taken at freeway dragstrip. While I was looking at the photo the vender (a friend of mine) asked if I knew any of those guys. The photo did not, at that time, have the identities of the cars or drivers as you can find now. I told him that I was in the original posing of the picture, but the tall stepladder the Houston Chronicle photographer was using was trying to fall, so a couple of us ran over to steady the ladder. So , I'm not in the photo, but did identify a lot of the people for him.
    I told the vender that I had a lot of old photos taken during that time. He asked and I agreed to loan him some of my pictures to make posters out of to sell at swap meets. I think he has done quite well with them. To make things simple he sold them as all being from Freeway even though they are from several Texas strips. He also sells some of my circle track photos.
    The coupe photos are from Prarie Hill. Most of the old photos on the nifti fifties site are from the posters. I've seen these photos on other sites that people have said they took them and given total missrepresintations of who or where they were.
    hope that clears up some of the misunderstanding
    Road King

24. Road King

Road King

Yo baby,
    You asked about the engine. If you look at the truck next to the coupe you will see A/G 9. He was part of our group of four and we entered together. Buggs car has AA/10 on it. I think the slash mark is just in the wrong place and it should read A/A 10. The coupe had a unblown Olds in it.
    Road King

25. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Well R.K. It's a bitchin little ride never the less.
    Do you happen to recall what kind of #'s it ran?

26. Brad S.

Brad S.

I'm curious if someone could contact Prairie Hill about putting on another nostalgia event.

That would be one in Temple, DFW area, and then Prairie Hill.

27. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Ken Tucker who opperates the strip said he is interested. His phone number is 254 722 3518. A few phone call to show some interest might help too. I did a search and came up with some info at
    http://www.geocities.com/ph_raceway/ .

28. glmke

glmke

thanks for the pic's look good on shop wall