Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ahhh...the sound of a cammer motor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SoCalCarCulture, Dec 16, 2007.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Ford devleoped the engine in 1964 for NASCAR.

2. tedster

tedster

Thanks, made my day.

3. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

No words could do justice for that enginge and the car is right on it too. So I breath deep and push play again.

4. That car fits here just fine,WOW!:eek:

5. panic

panic

Where does that kewwlll sound come from?
    7 foot long timing chain.
    Performance? It's a slug compared to similar engines - ports too big, not enough cam.

6. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

I'll take one of those 657 hp slugs anyday.

Mike

7. falconmad

falconmad

I'll I can say is WOW. That car was just put up pretty close to the top of my list of Bad Ass rides!!!

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Probably afraid to break it!
    I would be...$$$$.:D

seriously, SERIOUSLY bad ass...just plain sinister.
    I agree, I don't think it could be cooler...

9. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

uhh, oh...this ones gonna go the route of the "who's hoarding the Hemi's" thread, now...
    The seemed to perform pretty well in competition way back when...

600 + horse from the factory, in the sixties, from 427 c.i. something to sneeze about now?

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Very very cool, wild sounding, nice!!

11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

12. I'd bet "panic" has never seen one of these run! Similar engines? What similar engine?

I've been lucky enough to have seen three of these in person, 2 fullsize fords at SIR back in the late 70's making multiple quarter mile runs and 1 street bruiser right here in little old Montana. The three that I have seen were nothing short of amazing.

The "Slug" comment reminds me of a few knowitalls from my old neighborhood in Seattle who didn't find any redeeming qualities in a friends DZ302 first series camaro. They shut their collective pie holes when he finally figured out how to launch the damn thing.

s.

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

14. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Like he said!
    Dyno Don,a man who walked the walk with SOHC power.
    [​IMG]

15. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

love those side oilers!!!

16. k-member

k-member

Hell, I would roll in that Merc with a 6. But wow, I watched it 3 times.

17. 55 f350

55 f350

oh yeah i am awake now !!!!!!! there was a fella here at the route 66 mother road featival in an orange galaxy , he's probably still wiping off all the drool from us fordophiles .

18. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

THANK YOU!!!! Love it....seen one in a 64 Galaxie when I was a kid in Billings, MT....it was amazing...I will never forget it.

19. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

All Black!!! and a CAMMER Motor!!! A Big Ol Mercury Drop Top!!!
    Bad To The Bone!!!
    I too would like to see him light it up.

20. panic

panic

The engine is great because someone made power with it?
    Of course, and the way it comes in the car is EXACTLY the way it was run in Pro Stock, etc.
    The engine, as supplied, was a slug. Read the original road tests of hand-built crew-served cars provided by Ford R&D effortlessly clocking off those 13.9 second ETs.
    It took much R&D to make it competitive with the tunnel port side-oil 427 wedge it replaced.
    Nascar? Yah, Ford being Ford as usual "the engine must be an option available in the same chassis for less than $1,000.00"
    Chrysler hemi: $907.00 in a plain-Jane Road Runner.
    Ford SOHC: $995.00 option on the $995.00 optional 427 in the Galaxie-500XL-bells-&-whistles. No rules broken here.
    Go back to sleep.

21. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

426 Hemi cars are documented with less impressive times than their 440 counterparts, too...was the Hemi a "slug"?;)
    Did tire technology come into play?
    Drivers?
    $995.00 is less than $1,000.00, ain't it?

1969 Charger 500: 13.48 @ 109...and that weren't no "R&D" car...that was a as delivered, already scienced out, production car...or was it? Maybe it was a factory prepped "ringer"?
    not a test mule...who can say?

what mph were these 13.9 second Cammers posting on the board? THAT is the reall indicator of potential...as you can see...the above mentioned Hemi car has alot more to go, as well.

22. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

In 1965 the Cammer 427 was the most powerful production engine ever made. Slug? Try king of the hill.

23. FEDER

FEDER

I wouldnt change a THING perfect!!!!

24. damn sounds great

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not sure what you're referring to. 618HP out of the crate - as delivered, single 4bbl & known choke point for induction. If there were ET issues, it was likely chassis/tire limited...

I guess Dyno Don Nicholson wasn't competitive with his 13.9 second ETs...
    :rolleyes:

Your opinion again, no doubt. Not quite sure what you're referring to here - this engine went from drawing board to reality in just a few months - one of the first engines designed with CAD. Most of the "issues" were getting the 6' timing chain tamed - a revised chain guide solved early problems.

The 427SOHC was never, ever offered in any car, for any option, at any price. The engine was regulated out of competition before it could be homologated, so it was relegated to the motorsport catalog & delivered as a crate engine...

1 - I have that number somewhere - can't find it - wasn't many
    2 - Last "in the crate" NOS cammer I saw was about $60K, but that was a few years ago.

I have a friend with one in a '61 Starliner - was in Super Ford mag back in mid-late '80s after it was first built. This friend also has several other cammers & parts for cammers...

26. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

27. sounds nice!!!

28. My best man ran one in a model A for years and it, too, would sound like that with the headers uncorked. Button 'em up, though, and it was pretty quiet.

I drove back to Windsor (from St Paul) with him years ago. He wasn't afraid to drive it. He motored on down here (13 hours) for the Northeast Rod Run a couple of decades ago.

Did I mention it was INJECTED?

Got some pics (slides) of it somewhere. Got a lot of pics....and movies, too.

We usta book a block of rooms together for the Nats every year.

Curious thing was that he wasn't the only guy in town with a cammer. George Fitzios, across town, had one too....and it, too, was in a model A but iot ran dual fours.

Gay sold all of his cammers (yea, he had more than one or two) and went racing at Bonneville with smaller Ford engines.

29. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

That sounds awesome and looks awesome. Was watching something on the Speed channel the other night about these, interesting.

30. shoveled71

shoveled71

Isnt that the same motor the came in the 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt? A guy that lived down the street from me in the late 60s had one, sounded about like that but I was only 15 then, still remember that sound though, badass. Spike