Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody else have/seen factory power antenna in an early 50's GM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Dec 15, 2007.

1. I just pulled the factory power antenna, wiring and switch out of my 52 pontiac hartop. Dash mounted switch and bezel, specific brackets, well routed (buried) wire harness, matching cloth covering in a deluxe hardtop makes me think it was factory, but I'm having a hard time finding any pics or literature that backs up. Anyone else have one of these 3 foot monsters buried in a front fender?

s.

2. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

The 53 Skylark that we are working on has one.It's factory installed.

3. martell06

martell06

my 55 buick super has one

4. Thanks, good to know I wasn't mistaken.

Have you heard of any parts sources? I realize its a slim chance anyone repops any of the components, but the 55 power mast looks real close.

s.

5. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

We have'nt got that far yet.I hope it still works....

6. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I had a 1940 Pontiac that had a Factory 'Wonder Bar" radio and a Vacumn Power Antenna.

7. wwtps1

wwtps1

My 55 Olds 98 also has the power antenna and it works well.

8. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

The trick is the nylon cord that actuates the mast. If the cord is broken, you are SOL. There is a guy in Florida by the name of Klaus who rebuilds these with new cord and mast for about five bills. He advertises in Hemmings in the Cady section. I tried buying a cord off him and he told me to go pound sand. So I found a good used one instead, works great for my '54 Buick, though it took some years to find it.

Sometimes when the mast is damaged or broken off a unit in a salvage yard, the cord may still be good inside. So don't pass up a unit because the mast is not perfect.

I would think the cord is identical on all GM in the early years, at least through 55. Packard used the same basic unit too.

Good luck and happy wrenching!

Doug Cook

9. My 54 Caddy had the power actuated vacuum antennae.

10. Thanks guys, I guess I fall into the category of SOL. The mast and nylon cord are broken. I guess I'll be on the lookout for another well optioned GM.

Thanks for the info.

s.

11. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

If a fella was looking for a good power antenna to install in the rear quarter of his 32 Ford coupe, he might try some of these period correct antennas from the HAMB era. Mike

@Fredb_