Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Some Pics Of Transverse Sprung Gasser Axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DE SOTO, Dec 12, 2007.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Gettin ready to put the cross member in my '54 Ford and would like to see some pics of different set ups using the single Tranverse Spring arrangment.

I have my own idea, But its always nice to see other ones before ya just jump in & doit.

Prefer some Early photos.. But anyone doing one today would be cool also.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Saw this one on GasserMadness
    1.jpg
    Only pic they had of this car.

3. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

Check Gassermadness there is a flat black Henry J that has a chrome transverse setup it looks amazing I will see if I can find a link for you

4. Scotch

Scotch

I've seen that car and it's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread! I don't have any pics of it either, but it 'sets the bar' as far as these setups go. I saw it at GG Columbus maybe 5-6 years back. Great car~!

~Scotch~

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

THANKS KEV ! I HAVE THAT BOOK :D THATS A BADD ASS CHEVY !

Thats about what im looking to do, But was hoping maybe someone had a pic or a car that would spark somthing a lil different.

6. brandon

brandon

that was henry or harry alexander's car....tons of setback ....probably some of the nicest tin work on the inside that was scalloped around the stainless fasteners....new style halibrand spindle mounts....he said he was originally going to put a blown hemi in it....that front end is basically a chrome hot rod beam front..... maybe pro enfo will post a shot or 2 of his 56 chevy.....its setup like that....... brandon:D

7. Radshit

Radshit

You know Rudy don't you? On his black '55 Chevy with the tilt front he had a transverse leaf spring, hairpin and I beam axle set up....maybe he has some old pictures or ask Skip....he takes pictures of Rudy all the time.......I mean Rudy's cars.......

8. Radshit

Radshit

I wanted to do a '56 Merc like that....I found a front crossmember from a '40 Ford truck, they are deeper, thus raising the height out of the frame more. I guess the trucks had the deeper front crossmember for that purpose.....more clearance. And the '40 crossmember allows you to use the biscuit stlye motor mounts.....What the Hurst mounts on most vintage engine mounts use.....

9. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

MR RICH out of Seattle WA.
    "Performance King"
    Cody

Attached Files:

11. brandon

brandon

another one of mr. rich's conversions....brandon:D

Attached Files:

12. There's a yellow 33 Willys that comes to our local nostalgic drags every year that has a super torqued chromed out transverse spring setup on it, I can't find a picture though.

13. tshirt_tony

tshirt_tony
    from UK

I've got a 56 Chevy two door post rolling shell on its way to England.
    No engine or gearbox, Olds rear axle and a gutted interior with a roll cage already in it!!
    Yup, its going to get a straight front axle PDQ.

Yadda Yadda limey guy, get to the point.....

OK, I need to know the pro's and con's of transverse front springs against parallel ones.

I've got enough old Ford front end parts to go transverse, but would I be better off using the Speedway front end, for instance?

If I'm hijacking the thread, I apologise right now.
    It looks like the question kind of fits here though.
    Tony.

14. brandon

brandon

hot rod or car craft had a article on installing a old ford setup in a 55 chevy....pretty sure it even used split wishbones as well....could have been from 64 65 ish....as long as you get your track width & caster right , what would it matter....brandon:D

15. Radshit

Radshit

I don't like the way an already top heavy car feels with a transverse leaf front end......the dual leaf front ends feels sturdier to me. Specially for daily road driving....but if all you are building is a track car.....plenty of folks have used them.....

16. DrJ

DrJ

Just for interest, in '41 Ford made the truck crossmember deeper to clear the GA series I-6 engines

17. tshirt_tony

tshirt_tony
    from UK

Check out this 56 Chevy from the November 68 issue of Hot Rod.

Attached Files:

18. WeedsSpeed

WeedsSpeed
    from Kansas

I have that magazine where they do a straight axle conversion on a 55 chevy I just followed the process on my 2dr hardtop 55. They cut it right behind the y and install a 3inch tube with a suicide perch then they box the frame back in, it is a very simple and extremly nice conversion. They use a model a axle, 37-41 ford spinldles, 42-48 split wishbones, it keeps the car stock 116" wheelbase the only thing that sucks is you have to do engine set back. so mine now has a 20% engine set back. I will try and photo copy my mag or if anyone whats to try it I can copy the article and send it to you. The mag is Rod and Restyle 1968 edition.

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Thanks for the repies & pics... Keep them coming !

From what i see, The idea i have is about the same as some of these with a tube cross member & spring mount Under the tube.

I have a Real Deal '60s Chrome Straight tube axle, Ford spindles & brakes, Model "A" type spring, & Hair pins from another Old '60s gasser.

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Maybe this is what you had in mind? Haha

[​IMG]

21. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ummmmmm, No. .. I Dont Think So !

22. tshirt_tony

tshirt_tony
    from UK

That thing is HUGE!!
    Check out the guys sitting on the hood!

23. Todd553

Todd553

If you need more pics let me know.
    Todd

Attached Files:

24. bluemeanie

bluemeanie

I wonder if that old feaky lookin chevy ever made it down the track without tipping over?

25. fish3495

fish3495

I'm building a 62 Fairlane with a 40 ford axle and split bones. I am kind of copying the Wild Child 64 Falcon. I did a ton of mockups and build 3 crossmembers befor I got it close. I'll probably build another. Amazingly the stock Fairlane antisway bar will still work in there. The motor is a 77 Lincoln 460/c6. Plenty of room now. Made subframe connecters and used the lincoln tranny Xmember to attach the bones to. I really like the transverse spring look.

//www.motorheadextraordinaire.com/wildchild.php

Attached Files:

26. tshirt_tony

tshirt_tony
    from UK

That is one beautiful car!
    More pictures please....

27. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

28. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

That axle in the Blue '55 looks just like the axle i have ....

Wish i could see the pic closer.

29. Todd553

Todd553

Here are some more pics. If you want anything specific or up close just let me know.
    Todd

Attached Files: