Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I searching in vain for Cadillac 429 Speed Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Abomination

Abomination

BTTT for the weekend crowd.

~Jason

2. Abomination

Abomination

Here's a thread that mentions building an intake for a 429 with one U-Fab log in the middle, albeit with two Webers. Thought you may find it interesting:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145171

~Jason

3. caddyman65

caddyman65

What year 429 are we talking about? I was told that the 64 429 was different than the 65/66 year models and I was wondering if it made much difference on some of these new aftermarket parts:confused:

4. Abomination

Abomination

Personally, I have a '64. The latter 429s have slightly different rockers, but that in itself certainly doesn't affect header/intake/valley cover/valve cover type stuff - those work on any of the 429s.

~Jason

5. Abomination

Abomination

Like this?

[​IMG]

~Jason

6. ben_shady1

ben_shady1
    from Arkansas

Exactly like that! Where can I get one????

7. Abomination

Abomination

8. Abomination

Abomination

9. Abomination

Abomination

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Saw an old Mallory dual point for the '63-'67 engines on Ebay last week. No takers at $100.

11. Abomination

Abomination

WTF, dude?!?!

That's just sad. :( That kinda thing can hurt a guy's feelings, you know?

~Jason

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found this guy a few years ago while researching putting a 500CI cad motor and transaxle in a 65 Corvair. These guys are the real deal as far as Cad performance is concerned

http://www.mtscadparts.com/MTSHome.htm

There is a PDF catalog there with everything needed to turn a 500 CI Cad motor into a raging 2500 HP monster. Give it a try. I have talked with Paul ( one of the owners) before and he is a true motor head:D

13. Abomination

Abomination

Ah yes, MAXIMUM TORQUE SPECIALTIES!

Not too shbby on the 472/500 front, but way shy on the 429 stuff. But what the hell, they specialize in the 500s, anyway. :)

~Jason

14. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

15. Abomination

Abomination

You must have to call - they only have stuff for the 368/425/472/500 family on their site... I didn't see any 429 stuff there.

~Jason

16. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

17. Abomination

Abomination

Boat anchor with more CID than the OEM 390 that's about the only thing that's a bolt-in. It's in my '60 Cadillac. It didn't come with a drivetrain - I used what I could scrape up at the time, and what the hell, it forces me to be creative.

Like my beloved Poly 318s - but there's at least enough LA 318 crap that swaps off to give you SOME kind of leg to stand on when beefing THOSE up...

~Jason

18. jonnycola

jonnycola

I agree. They have wierd shitty designs for stuff... I think that's why it was such a short production motor. The oil pumps suck.

They never really made speed equipment for them, because no one wanted to hop up a stock cadillac... because they're not meant for that. And small block chevies DOMINATED the market by 64, so the use of one was kind of pointless.

I've had nothing but bad luck with those trannies too.

Personally, I'd dress it up the best you can, and maybe put another carb on it and call it a day. Anything else will get you very little as far as performance, when you're moving such a huge car. Not to discourage you, just thinking practically. What you'll spend in trying to get custom parts made for it, you may as well find a 390, or put a chevy in it.

I love my cadillac engines to death. I'll never run anything but a 331-390 caddy in any of my cars.... but that 429 let me down.

19. Abomination

Abomination

The oil pumps do suck. but you don't have to butch the crossmember (like on my '60) like you do for a 472/500.

20. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Count me in for the hunt. I've been following this thread for a while, so i thought i'd finally jump in on the hunt:D

i've got a 429 in my '50 Lincoln, with the early 400 trans.

Anyone know about the transmission pans? I had my trans. rebuilt, and i never noticed but the pan has a 'lip' around the front half which even with a gasket causes the damn thing to leak like a bitch. I planned on just taking the pan off, for the 3rd time, and cutting that "lip" out and re-welding everything nice and flush. Maybe there's a caddy place to buy a "lip-less" pan?

those oil pumps do suck. i found out the hard way when i realized i have an oil leak.

21. Abomination

Abomination

This may yield more info:
    http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2004/12/01/hmn_feature13.html

"Another way to identify the early variable-pitch units is by the transmission pan. The earlier pans were identical in shape to the later pans, and all used the same 13-bolt hole pattern; however, the variable-pitch transmissions had four indentations in the pan (one large oval-shaped indentation as well as three small "dimples" around it). The late-1967 and up transmissions used a pan with only two small "dimples" in it."

Maybe you can use a later pan?

~Jason

22. jonnycola

jonnycola

I think that with that being the frame of mind, stock is going to be your best bet. Any multi carburetor intake that you'd find for a 390, will give far worse fuel milage than what you'd already be working with stock.

For what it's worth, a stock 60 cadillac engine only makes 15 less horsepower than a 429. But your 60 caddy weighs 500 pounds more than what the engine was designed to pull.

Once you begin re-engineering things, you'll ultimately see the defects in it's original design. Make sure you put in a huge oil pressure gauge, right on the steering column... You'll need it. And bolt on the front cover ever so gently.

I heard Hugh Grant fingered that dude in a 65 Cadillac when it was broken down on the side of the road.

23. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hmm. That might be worth a shot tracking down a later pan. I think that if i were driving the car every day, or at least a couple times a week (it's been pissing me off, radiator problems, oil pump leaking, apparently typical 429 stuff:D) it wouldn't leak, or at least as much. i discovered a nice sized puddle under it again, for the 3rd time, just the other day. it's been sitting in it's hibernation quarters since november.

i did find a place that makes aluminum adapters for the early style 'square' shaped valve covers. But, at 149 bucks a pair i think the stock ones look wonderful. Valve covers aren't exactly speed equipment necessarily, but the older styled ones look cool.

24. Abomination

Abomination

Where was that place with the valve cover adapters? Just curious.

~Jason

25. Abomination

Abomination

hugh Grant also has a strange affinity for the 429. ;)

Don't tell.

~Jason

26. Abomination

Abomination

27. Abomination

Abomination

According to:
    http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php?topic=1032.0;wap2

"The biggest problem is the aluminum timing chain cover that has an integral oil pump housing. The maximum oil pressure the pump is to produce is 35 psi. If the clearance between housing and pump gears is too large (low oil pressure) there is no way correct it other than replacing the housing. The housing is also prone to cracking around the bolts that mount to the block. You’ll have an easier time finding an honest politician.”

If you rebuild yours, then you probably want to examine the oil pump housing closely since it’s often a problem area. You probably could then also deal with the manifold choke tube and exhaust manifold issues.

An extensive thread which involves the intake manifold choke tube issue is at:

http://groups.msn.com/196364Cadilla...LastModified=4675577880490044513&all_topics=1
    "

28. Abomination

Abomination

I wonder... a master rebuild kit is costly, but the extra I'd pay Jasper or somebody to build it for me for might come in handy in terms of getting that front cover replaced time and time again under warranty. ;)

~Jason

29. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Wow, you've been busy gathering info! haha, excellent. As far as oil pumps, i know they are different, but i don't know why. i'll ask my dad about that one. he'd been researching the 429 for some time as well. The gears in mine were fine (reading good oil pressure). i put a new gasket on, but there's still a slight leak somewhere. i'm hoping that housing isn't cracked, as usual, as stated...just my luck, probably is.

here's the link to the adapters, and i apologize, they are only 129.00 :D: http://www.schradersspeedandstylestorefront.com/m_19.asp?pro=15&c=
    -ace

30. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

oh, by the way, i made my own headers so i don't have any problems regarding the exhaust manifolds. didn't know there were any. I've got a set, they look good, if you should need them.
    -ace