Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metalflake in spray cans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I'm told it's been discontinued. Would you buy, if it were available again? Is it not discontinued?

2. Yes I would! Uncle Scooby?

I got some Seymour Sunburst green from TCP global and I got one pass over what I was working on and it clogged shut... Beware of old stock!

3. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Some friends of mine did a stand up bass, took about 5 cans but after it was cleared and buffed, looked killer!. It was good size flake and I was surprised it didnt clog up!. I also heard it was discontinued, but I'd buy some if it was reintroduced. but like 4t64rd said, beware of the old stock!!.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

that was my bass! :)

It has nothing to do with old stock. Those cans just clog really easily. I had to stop several times to clean the nozzle. The first can clogged OPEN on the first spray. I had to work quick because it was all inside the can instead of the nozzle.

5. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Yes of course I would. I'd love to cheap flake my lawnmower. :D Seriously though, I would buy it.

6. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

The stuff called Metal Specks from Dupli-Color is pretty good. More of a heavy metallic than a real 'flake,' but it looks nice in the sun.
    Rustoleum has a couple nice ones too, just hard to find.

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

I aqree, wouldn't call it "flake" but looks alright.....does look a lot better if you throw a couple coats of clear on top.....I used the red and it looked a little dry without the clear..........

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

9. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I saw some at Pep Boys last week. They had it in about 6 colors. The can said metalflake, but its more of just a " heavy " metalic , I think.

10. Eryk

Eryk

I've used the "glitter spray" from Joann's. It's just silver flake and clear. You have to apply a ton of it for really good coverage though. For color, you can spray candy over it. Any hobby store sells transparent "candy" paint in a spray can.

11. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

I second Eryk's recommendation on the 'glitter spray'.

I painted a minibike with the red Dupli-color Metal Flake, then shot it with gold 'glitter spray' clear coat with glitter in it. The second step made all the difference.

12. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

My project is on the back burner until spring. It's still a go but I've had to take some time (and I've been poor) from switching jobs. I'm on the road till the weekend but the chemistry is nearly done and I have the equipment to do it but just don't have the time or money to devote to it until around March.

13. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Wally world had craft gold and silver in cans...

14. Deadlights

Deadlights

I have used Krylon spray glitter. You can pick up at most craft stores. Colors I have seen are gold, silver, red, green, blue, and rainbow. I did this bike with green spray glitter with a black base. Altho it is hard to see in this pic it is quite sparkley in the sun.....

Attached Files:

15. Deadlights

Deadlights

I have also done this with a helmet. Bought some house of colors model paint(lime gold). For small stuff it works out quite good. But you do have to use a ton of clear.

16. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i thought i saw a HoK 3 stage spray flake in walmart....

17. BadLuck

BadLuck

Yeah, I saw that too....i think it was like 7 or 8 bucks for a small can.....Had some really cool colors, tangelo, pagan gold etc....haven't tried it yet.

18. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

i was starting to wonder when the walmart hok spray can threads would pop. seen 'em a few weeks ago wonderin' if they were worth a shit to spray bomb some steel wheels, throw some bullets and call it a day...??? i like eryks idea.

19. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

i did my whole car in seymour sunburst silver and black. looks ok for the low buck approach i was going for.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]