Register now to get rid of these ads!

What size to get, Mexican blanket for seat covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroJoe, Dec 9, 2007.

1. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

I have been looking at various Mexican blankets to cover the seats in my 50' Ford. What size do I need to get to cover the top and bottom, both front and rear seats? I have seen large and extra large. The one problem I seem to have is finding similar blankets to do both seats so they look close to the same pattern. I need info from those that have done theirs. Thanks, Joe.

2. old beet

old beet

Do you own a yard stick?.................OLDBEET

3. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

Nah, I just eye ball everything.........Question is, do I need two, or four blankets.

4. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I thought I wasn't technical...

5. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I asked the Mexicans down at the Upholstery shop for ya,

They gave me a blank stare for a minute, Chuckled a lil and said somthing in Spanish.

All i got was "Pinchi Boboso" & "OL STOOL RODZ"

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

You mean... Pinche Baboso? That'll help for those who need translation, mang.

8. dv8

dv8

Take a tape measure out to the car...measure the seat bottom of the front seat...go to the flea market or truckstop...unfold a blanket...if it is longer and wider than your measurements, and you want to do front and back, buy 4 of them...if you want to do the seat-back of the front seat, buy 5...if it is shorter...well that's a big can of worms, and you might just want to go to Walmart and buy some of those 'flaming dice' seat covers.

9. BinderRod

BinderRod

No one could be this stupid on purpose. I bet you get the stupid end of a tape measure. You know the guy that just stands there while the other guy has the hard job of reading numbers.
    There should be a test before people like this can type questions.

10. WTF! need more info mmm let me do some calculations here: 7586+.8754% ^ (87432)= 2.76 blankets! there you go.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Do you need 2 or 4 blankets?
    What you do need is to get off your ass and measure your seats.
    If you can find one blanket that is big enough, you can cover the whole car, inside and out.

12. How many cans of red spray paint did you use for your wheels? 1 or 2? God I really hate this site anymore...

13. More like "Piche payaso".

14. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

I'm sorry I ever asked..... I've known guys that have used up to six blankets to cover seats. I just wanted a quick answer as I was shopping the 'net for blankets. From what I am finding, it is hard to find two that match, let alone 4. I'll never ask fellow hot rodders on this site for help again that's for sure! Seems every time someone asks a simple question, you guys do your best to flame them and drive them away. It must be tough being Gods.

15. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

The problem is..it is a simple question.
    How simple is it to measure your seats?
    Or are you too simple to do that?
    Would you like someone to come over and do it for you?

16. RetroJoe

RetroJoe

Well the problem with my skills is I've never tried covering seats before and thought that I could talk to someone whom has.

17. dbradley

dbradley

I used to live on the Mexican border......... Mexican blankets are now made in China !:D

18. dont be so thin skinned man its just your turn , actually i have heard if you dont flame someone at any givin oppertunity three very large dudes will show up at your door and vise grip your boys to your work bench.. as for the blankets the link i posted you can get blankets , i dont know about the color as you will have to call them and ask but the blankets are 5x7 maybe this will help and they are about 15 bucks a pop

19. page2171

page2171

Then are they still Mexican blankets...or are they Chinese blankets? :D Chinese blankets somehow doesn't have the same ring to it.

20. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

If you make your own mexican blanket then it will match.

21. rusty48

rusty48

I put blankets on my back seat,didn't measure before I used them so I don't know exactly how big they were,probabaly about 4x6.I used one on the seat and one on the back tucked the excess underneath,I think I could have got by with one blanket.They sell them here at the gas station for $7 each,I had never upholstered any thing before but it turned out OK,all I had was a set of springs,worst part was buying the foam,didn't know that stuff was so expensive.

22. inez2736

inez2736
    from Michigan

Mexican blankets come in all sizes. Just find the largest one you can. On a 50 chevy if you cover the seat with the blanket stripes running up and down ( by the way it looks way better) you should have enough to cover the front seat. Also you can use a Mexican blanket as a temporary seat cover and never have to sew a stitch I just did it to our 32.

23. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Are you looking to simply drape them over or actually sew seat covers? If you're looking to do the latter, you need to measure length, width, and height of each section of the seat. Length times width gives you area. Add all the area calculations together and that will give you your total required amount of material necessary to complete the job. I would give yourself a little extra to allow for the pattern. Also, if you cut them, you'll want to serge the edges. Those things unravel and pull like it's going out of style after you cut them.

If you're looking to drape them, length times width= area, get a blanket bigger than that. Look for Boterias in your town. They have blankets, and sometimes more than one of each pattern. Good luck, and I'm terribly embarrassed for those pricks. How rude!

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Go into your Garage close the door

Stuff blankets under the doors

Start the your Ford you can sit inside if you wish

With or without Mexican blankets

Let us know how that comes out :)

25. kustombypook

kustombypook

No, it really isn't. Much easier than you would think.

26. Mopar34

Mopar34

The answer is: Buy 5. 4 do cover your seats and one for the headliner. Unless they are smalller than 5'x7', in that case double the number. Get an extras if you want to do the interior of the trunk. If 2 will do it, then give the extra's for gifts. This is a win - win event. You win by getting the blankets and the Mexicans win because they're poor and they need the money.:D

This is assuming you just plan on draping the blankets over the seats. If you plan on using them as replacement seat covers you should probably get 8 for the seats ('cause you know the upholsterer will screw something up).

Oh, and yes measuring tape will still help, along with some straight pins.

And by the way, you really were not flamed heavily, just lightly. I recall another thread a while back where the responders really had a dislike for Mexican blankets and iron crosses. Lucky for you they weren't among the responders. :eek::D:D

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

size? simple....grande o mas grande.

Senor dj