Register now to get rid of these ads!

Storing engine blocks and components?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kcolborne, Dec 3, 2007.

1. kcolborne

kcolborne

I lucked out and bought a garage full of flathead motors and assorted parts. I ended up with some good blocks, cranks, cams, heads, etc. The whole lot has been disassembled and inspected. One of the motors I am being to rebuid now, the others I want to set aside for future projects. What is the best way to store the parts to avoid the effects of time (rust)?

I'm thinking of oiling or greasing the parts and wrapping them in plastic before putting them on the shelf. Is this the right idea?

2. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

clean them first and dirt or debris can cause them to rust. spray them with penetrating oil something that isnt water based like some of them are. let them dry for a little while then cover them with plastic or something will keep dust and dirt off of them.

3. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

yeah, oil and bag then throw in a some silica packets to grab any moisture that comes from the relative humidity. And how exactly did you fall into a whole garage full of parts and blocks?

4. kcolborne

kcolborne

I found them on the HAMB actually. Worked out well for me.

Any idea where I can buy silica packets?

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Castle Products markets a protective spray called Endura. It doesn't evaporate like WD-40 will.

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

They come in every pair of shoes and nearly every purse or bag, ask your mom or girlfriend! If they don't have any, raid the local shoe store!

If you don't like any of the above ideas on getting silica packets, it looks like good old ebay comes through again:
    http://search.ebay.com/silica-packe...Q20packetsQQmptZ1196693119093QQrprZ8QQxpufuZx

An easy way to store those blocks are on cut off shopping carts. Cut the basket off the cart and set the block on the wire shelf below. Voila! Instant rolling storage. Plus you can use the wire baskets to store additional parts.

Congrats on your find!

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

8. pitman

pitman

9. Road Runner

Road Runner

10. banjorear

banjorear

I've had great success with CRC SP-350 or the heavier version of SP-400. It is a modern day cosmoline. Their own brand of degreaser removes the coating.

Designed for long term storage of freshly machined parts. It will work on any greasy old Ford part as well.

11. Ole don

Ole don

Try a spray can of dirt bike chain lube. It sticks to anything.

12. kcolborne

kcolborne

True, but I might want to get the stuff back off at some point. Memories of my dirtbike days seem to be that stuff is a real pain at times.

13. Louie S.

Louie S.

I have two big blocks one has been siiting for over a year with fresh machine work, and we just spray them down with LPS 3. It sprays on and does not evaporate, it leaves a good film works great.

14. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I was talking with my uncle about this type of thing also with my flatties. He suggested that after I get them cleaned and magged that I drop them into a plastic 55 gal drum cut down to fit the motor, then fill them with used motor oil and cover.

15. jaysberman

jaysberman

You can spray them with Boshield( I thint that the spelling). It leaves a waxy surface that protects well and is easy to take off. Use it arround boats to keep the salt off the electrical connections.

16. Graham08

Graham08

Another vote for LPS 3. My dad works in a salt mine and they use it as a rust preventative. Leaves a nice film and is reasonably easy to remove with brake clean.

17. 62_Galaxie_500

62_Galaxie_500

I've had good luck with Amsoil's MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector. It dries to a very light brown waxy film. Plus, it doesn't hurt paint, so it's good for coating door seams and such.

EDIT: Another idea is to put the parts/blocks into a 55 gallon drum and fill it with used oil to cover them.

18. Rusty Springs

Rusty Springs
    from SouthTexas

You took the words from my mouth.

LPS products are great:

LPS 1 is like wd-40
    LPS 2 is a little thicker
    LPS 3 is real thick, sprays on wet and drys like a coating of grease.

I have be using it for 20 or so years. Great on garage door opener tracks and any other SLIDEs.

Rusty Springs

19. Should you stand the cranks on end to keep them from warping?

20. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Go to your local hardware store, they sell granules that will dehumidify an area. The small silica packets are too small fo a large volume of air.

21. NJVadala

NJVadala

As far as blocks and heads go, I clean them off, spray them with penetrating oil, bag them, spray the bag with penetrating oil, and then wrap the bag with saran wrap.

22. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I also support the LPS 3.

I Inspect allot of fresh machined aircraft parts and afterwords I usually required to coat them with LPS3. It is actually approved by the Millitary standards specifications for storing of hardware.

Millitary standards MIL-c-16173-2
    Sikorsky satandard SS8540

23. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

24. Alll this talk about protecting.................ever notice how many engine guys just let em sit? Dave Rampy even "seasoned" his blocks out back of his shop. Look at a pic of H&H, yard full of banger and flatty blocks.

25. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I second that vote for LPS I bought a crank that was turned in 1987 and sprayed with LPS, I just cleaned it up last weekend and installed it,still looks like it did after it was turned. LPS is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.