Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop Gloves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h0twired, Dec 3, 2007.

1. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Just wondering how many of you guys wear gloves in the shop when working on your projects.

My father in law is pretty obsessive when it comes to wearing gloves when doing engine work and keeping his hands grease free. Some people prefer to "keep it real" and enjoy having grease in the ridges in their fingers and under their fingernails.

So far I really only wear gloves moving around sheet metal to prevent getting cuts and just use harsh soaps to wash off the grease.

What about the rest of you? When do you wear gloves and are there any that you swear by?

2. NJVadala

NJVadala

I like to wear gloves when I'm welding or handling sheet metal, but for engine work or other nut and bolt stuff I hate having gloves on. As far as brand of gloves, I always go with tillman.

3. I wear the nitrile gloves often. Painting and cleaning the greasey stuff. Craftsman or simular work gloves when wrenching. Leather gloves when welding.

4. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I have an old pair of Hillman gloves for welding. For wrenching on the greasy stuff, I use nitrile gloves I bought from Eastwood. For grinding and other stuff, I use a pair of leather and canvas work gloves from Lowe's.

I like the nitrile gloves because they allow me to get a good grip on nuts and bolts and they are pretty resistant to most chemicals. The ones from Eastwood don't have any powder in them which is good. I'm not allergic to latex (thank goodness); however some people are and therefore the nitrile would be better for them. The one thing about the nitrile gloves is my hands sweat a lot in them. The nitrile is supposed to be more puncture resistant than the latex. I have experienced some tearing if you pull them on too hard. I've found it best to blow into them right out of the box to expand them out. They go on my hand a lot easier.

5. newstranger

newstranger

I wish I was wearing gloves this weekend... sliced my pointer finger up real nice on a sheet metal patch I was fitting.

I usually only wear gloves (thick rubber) when I'm cleaning painting equipment (lacquer thinner BAAAAAAAD!) or welding gloves if I'm doing anything beyond some MIG tacking. When it comes to drive train work I'm a grungy bastard.

-ns

6. kiotes

kiotes

My uncle used to say "Girl dont like rough hand on there titties" He always had gloves on. I wear gloves welding and rubber gloves in the parts washer cant take the tingling from the solvent anymore.

7. I wear the blue nitrile rubber gloves when I'm painting or changing the oil. I wear some snug fitting "tig welder" soft leather (or maybe it's goat skin or deer skin) gloves for most welding or plasma cutting and only use the heavier gloves with the long cuffs for welding heavy stuff. Most of the rest of the time I don't like wearing gloves at all. I hate wearing gloves working on engines or mechanical stuff, because I like to feel what I'm working on. Sometimes I'll wear gloves when I'm grinding small parts when I keep getting burned from the parts getting too hot to hold. I see these NASCAR guys on TV doing everything with mechanic's gloves on, and I don't see how they can get anything done at all in those gloves.

When did mechanic's gloves become a necessity? You see them for sale everywhere all of the sudden. Is it something anybody really needs? Or do people wear them so they'll feel like they're part of a NASCAR pit crew?

8. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i try to wear gloves when im dealing with paints, solvents, changing oil or nasty old greasy stuff. wear tig gloves for most welding at home. i like my hands even thought they are pretty beat up already. ive had alot of people tell me no way are you an ironworker, your hands are too soft. there are so many things out there that can leach into your skin and through the years can attack your organs, its good to at least put up a fight against all that stuff. oh yeah i liek the high risk nitrile gloves.

9. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I never wore gloves until I started using gloves for handling heavy stuff that beat my hands up. I started using them more and more. Now I use them all the time.

I prefer the Mechanix gloves for most everything and nitrile gloves for when I know I'm going to get my hands in oil or whatever.

I rotate the mechanix gloves, having two or three sets. Nice clean to nasty. As they get crappy, they get downgraded. About the time they get really dirty, they have a hole or two anyway and are ready for the trash.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have two pairs for welding. ONe goatskin and one heavy. I prefer the goatskin but sometimes, the extra protection from the heavy pair comes in handy. For general work, I spent some $$ on a pair of Snap-On HD mechanic gloves. Well worth the $$. in my opinion. I've cut, scraped, bent, and bled too many times to not wear them.

11. The Big M

The Big M

Another thing I like about the nitrile gloves when working on something really messy is that it tends to speed things up when time is short. More time wrenching, less time cleaning up. Of course, preventing harsh chemicals from leaching into your skin is the main reason I use them, as 1931S/X mentioned.

12. 1949P17BC

1949P17BC
    from Ballwin MO

I thought it was too manly to wear gloves,, wrong years of solvent, grease and oil have caused a little too much damage (dry, cracking) Gloves most of the time, always with paint and solvents. Chicks may dig rough hands, but they sure won't dig nubbs:eek:

13. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

I have been wearing nitrile gloves for along time, use them at work, pvc primer and glue is nasty stuff for your hands. use them for greasey ,painting, and other odd jobs. weld with heavy gloves, sheetmetal I use plain old leather work gloves... cuz sheetmetal will cut like a razor!... found out the hard way.

14. traditionalrod

traditionalrod
    from Canton SD

I wear Mechanix type gloves when I am working with sheetmetal and mig welding. When I am gas welding I use heavy leather gloves. I use nitrile gloves when I am working with oils or paints or solvents. I found a pair of gloves made for fabrication. Heres the link: http://www.tricktools.com/Gear/fabrication_gloves.html
    Has any used these before I am thinking about picking up a pair?

15. i use the blue nitrile gloves for just about everything, slowly found out over time that i was allgeric to oils and grease. I'm to the point now if i get any on my hands and don't wash it off within a couple mins i get bad!! headaches for a day or two.

16. rainh8r

rainh8r

i started wearing gloves decades ago and I'm comfortable with them now. Kind of like safety glasses; It took years of stuff in my eyes to appreciate the good they do for me. The mechanics gloves are great until they get oily or greasy, so unless you get them free (like race teams) don't get them greasy. As a side note, we are now required to provide gloves to our construction workers on jobsites as well as eye protection, as the state has seen how the gear reduces comp claims. Find some gloves and glasses you can wear and use them so you can build hot rods longer.

17. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

I have been hooked on the plain yellow kevlar gloves you can get at McMaster Carr. If you buy a dozen at a time, they cost about $4.50 a pair. I wear them 6 days a week for about 10 hour a day, and one pair will last a month. You can pick up a dime off the floor with them, and I havent found a better pair of tig welding gloves yet! I work with sheet metal all day long, and I cant remember my last cut. Well worth 5 bucks a month.

Tim @ www.irrationalmetalworks.com

18. Leather for welding, Black Lightning (the toughest) nitrile for the rest. Solvents and cleaners (like brake clean) are absorbed through the skin and wind up in the liver. And since a lot of HAMBers' livers lead a tortured existence already...well, it ain't rocket surgery!

19. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

I go through a pair of the mechanix brand, the fast fit style, in about 3 months, expensive, but it keeps ALOT of the cuts and scrapes and gouges away from my hands. You can wash them if they get oily but it takes alot to clean them, usually 20 minutes with the dish soap and alot of aggrivation but they do come clean. I take them off for the detail work but for general use and abuse you cant beat them, plus their great for the junkyards too, dont have to worry as much about getting tetnus or having to clean your hands up to drive the daily home with all the goodies.

20. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

i have some "Go Jo" High Tactile gloves that are killer. Not something to rebuild a carb in but good for engine and suspension type work.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I wear latex gloves any time I handle any kind of fluids or grease. As far as dirt and the rest, I don;t mind as much. Its a good habit to get into, doing the shit everyday and not protecting yourself could lead to issues down the road.

22. hunter

hunter

I wear thin tig gloves while doing anything with metal. thin enough to still "feel" what i'm doing but thick enough where if i nip a cut off wheel or grinder I don't get cut.

23. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

that does it for 'our money counters'....how about our ears?
    since i've attained 'huh generation' status [ that constant slight ringing in my ears, if i've got this right it is called 'tinnitis'---or something spelled real close ] i've begun to wear ear/hearing protection. i've tried those 'roll-up-and-stuff-them-in-my-ear' things, finally got my self a pair of 'muffs'! when ever my chore get violent/noisy the 'muffs' come in real handy. of cours, i can't hear thunder when ever i'm wearing my 'muffs', but afterward the slight ringing is not the annoying high decibel ring!

just my two cents!

24. kopis

kopis

No gloves here. They just get in the way, or at least i feel as if they do. I only wear them when i am dealing with sharp metal.

25. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I live in my welding gloves. :D

26. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Tillman deerskin gloves for welding. Mechanix Wear Fastfit gloves for general purpose use. Medline powder free vinyl gloves for the greasy stuff.

27. daddylama

daddylama

calluses - natures glove.

it's been mentioned that my hands look twice my age...

i just don't hear it all that well, because all the years of no hearing protection :)

while most often i find myself still not using gloves, i do have a selection:

-tillman deerskin welding gloves that i use for tig and gas welding (if i really have to)
    -some military surplus nomex/leather gloves i use for stick welding
    -mc master carr kevlar that i sometimes use with sheetmetal
    -pigskin rancher gloves for misc. stuff
    -nytril (sp?) for chemical stuff
    -latex for painting

28. Same here! Even tack weld stuff in em, gotta watch it tho, they can melt if you touch a hot weld!:eek:

29. Been wearing gun muffs since 90 when I framed a house with a carpenter that still had hearing and kept muffs on his tool belt.

30. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I wear safety gloves (leather/HD tight fitting) when doing work that may cut up the hands, latex or nitrile in especially greasy situations or solvent situations. Normal wrenching is a non-glove affair (often much to my skinned knuckles regret) as I keep the engine bays reasonably clean.