Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wives/GF's...are they supportive of your hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Dec 2, 2007.

1. john56h

john56h

According to my wife...yes, yes it is.

2. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I have a very supportive gf (soon, but not too soon, to be wife) that is active and participates in my hobby.

3. My girl didn't understand the obsession at first..She was introduced to the whole hot rod scene through me and she went to her first car show with me a little over a year ago..it was a huge show and she loved every minute of it..she was all over the place trying to help me find the more traditional/custom areas at the show because she knows I have a special place for them in my heart, ha ha! Afterwards she told me she finally "Got it" and then told me that someday she wants to find and restore an old 60's mustang..not my particular style but hey..I can't complain at least she gets it now...she's currently waiting on me to get my 54 chevy done so she can drive it ha ha!

4. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

My wife is very supportive and really likes going to the shows and meets. She doesn't really do any of the wrenching but she will wash it occasionally. She likes the old cars and trucks and this always makes it a lot easier to get money for the hobby if they are on bored with the whole thing.:D

5. My wife wouldn,t get her hands dirty if my life depended on it. On the other hand she can tell a Chevelle from a Nova and said I could either get siding on the house or get my 57 painted. Still need siding......

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would say my wife is more tolerant than supportive.

7. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I've been BLESSED with the only woman on the planet who'll put up with my nonsense. I'm one lucky mofo!!! -stick

8. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

My wife likes old cars although she doesn't know a lot about them.I can go buy one and bring it home and she is fine with it.Also fine with me spending 12 hours on a weekend building cars.She knows it makes me happy and that is what she wants.My first wife was not like that,she is now my ex.Make darn sure you get the right one the first time.

9. Gerg

Gerg

only if you call pointing and laughing and making fun of my supportive......

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Our first date was going for a cruise around town. My wife has supported me through the dirt track race cars, through the muscle cars, and through the street rod years. As long as the household bills are paid, how much is spent on the hot rod doesn't matter. She still likes cruising around. She has been in the garage to help if I really needed it, but thats not her thing. I value her opinoin on car related things and the hot rod is her's as much is it is mine. The cars, in one form or another, have been here since we were first dating, through 31 years of being married, raising two kids, 5 houses, and a few rented garages.

The biggest thing is that cars are not our whole life, but mearly a part of it. They are something we both enjoy. Gene

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If you only knew!!

12. ratstar

ratstar

My girlie likes 50's-early 60's cars. She doesnt care all too much for me always working on shit and never being around. BUT that all changes this spring when we build the shop!

13. squid

squid

I have to say I am lucky that my wife actually likes cars. You wont catch her wrenching(although at one time she did help some on a 51 chevy pickup I had). But she will go to some cruise nights and will even come home and tell me about some cool old car she saw somewhere. It's usually muscle car era stuff for her to identify it, but at least she likes some of em. She's not into the Rat stuff like I am because she prefers a little cleaner rde with decent paint, But she defintely says if ya build it you should drive it. Been over 13 years and she still tells me to build a toy if I want it so I would say that is supportive enough for me.

14. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

My GF supports my hobby... I enjoy wrenching on about any era car... she doesn't mind my 55 Coronet or my big 74 Chev 4x4 as long as I keep her 94 Exploder on the road... She loves that thing as much as most of you love your cars although I don't have a clue why. :confused:

15. I would say my girlfriend understands my hobby and knows it's something I like to do.She loves going for drives in the shoebox, and missed my 47 Ford mordoor, when i traded it away( first date car !) .She is cool, and hey she bought me my Rodders Journal subscription for my b-day last summer.

16. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Mine gave me the money to buy the 48 Sedan and the parts car 1 1/2 months later. She Will go out into the shop with me and sit and work on her needlepoint while I work on the car. Once in a while she will lend a hand when needed.

17. If it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't be able to have this hobby. Though she is not as crazy about it as I am (and honestly I am not always as crazy about hers), she supports me in the love I have for hot rods and classics in general. I think her favorites though are the European cars that we have been lucky enough to drive and own.

I am a lucky man to have her support me.

18. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Old beet a louver press. Nowone can beat that.

19. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I love cars, tractors, engines, locomotives, planes, boats......But I dunno if I could EVER love any one of you hooligans.:D

20. how could any of us that are married have a hobby that takes most of our time and money and not have a supportive wife? sorry for askin a question with a question !!!! god bless the ladys one and all:D:D

21. well i guess it's official now, "WELCOME TO THE LIARS CLUB":D :D

22. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

My wife looks forward to Bonneville as much as I do. It's our week a way from the kids. I been married for 15 years. It's always been about the cars. I just don't think see knows any better.

23. right on brother!:D:D

24. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

My wife refused to go with me when I bought one project a few years ago. Her reason? She might not like it and didn't want me to not get it if it was what I wanted.

Her reaction when I got it home was to climb into the back of my truck to check it out. This was my '70 Triumph chopper.

Now that she's disabled and can't walk or drive, she's still supportive. My every day driver is a '68 Chevy II that was her great-aunt's car. It has just over 91,000 miles now, with 7K of those added since I got the car.

We sold her Grand Am to buy my '63 Dodge panel truck. She understands that I need my projects as a way to relax.

25. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Separate checking accounts work for me. My name is on her account, but hers isn't on mine. The only reason I'm on hers is that it's difficult for her to write checks.

As long as I pay the bills and have money for our weekends out, she doesn't say much about the money I spend on projects. I guess that's why I'm back up to 17 vehicles...

26. not so hotrod

not so hotrod
    from MA

yeah my girlfriend supports me. sometimes more than i think she should, but i aint complaining.
    "honey, are you going to the garage tommorow straight from work?" "yup" i say. "ok ill make supper for when you come home, i might make a pumpkin pie too" im pretty lucky.

[​IMG]

CHANGE THAT TIRE WOMAN!!!!!!!!!:D

27. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

That's a relationship meant to be... Very cool. But, maybe she considers that you're supporting her hobby. :D

28. so.ill.

so.ill.

mine is pretty cool with my old truck, as long as she has had a good day. they both love attention and both have thier rewards,
    take a look at my avatar and tell me who you think gets more attention.

29. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

My ol lady can`t stand the fact that I work and enjoy cars so much. I`m only 31 and her idea of a hotrodder is some 50-60 year old dude crusin around in his shiny new/old car. She don`t like rust she can`t stand rattle can paint jobs and it drives her nuts when I wake her up at 2 in the morning, drag her into the garage and show her the upholstry i just did on one of my cars. I have no clue how the hell we have stayed together this long (11 Years) She thought my car obsesson was just a small thing. That was untill I stared making alittle more money and I could afford the right tools and have a shop built to build my cars. Now she see`s my hobby as a threat to her. It probably didn`t help when I told her that she would go before the cars do. Hell I didn`t talk to her for damn near three weeks when she made me sell my `57 wagon. I guess the good thing is my girlfriends loves my cars.

30. skyrodder

skyrodder

my wife is not too into it, but as long as the bills are paid, I'm good, she doesnt mind me coming home late after working on my car either...