Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC question...Any takers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ConceptVehicleDesign, Dec 1, 2007.

1. I thought I would tap the wide expanse of knowledge, that is the H.A.M.B. Does anyone know if there is a company that makes stainless steel freeze plugs for a SBC? Also is anyone aware of any reasons not to use stainless in this application? I'm getting ready to rebuild my SBC in my 53 and was hoping to use stainless for the freeze plugs. Thanks in advance!!

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

they are called soft plugs too for the reason that the plugs will blow out if the antifreeze starts to freeze and expand.By using stainless,the plugs would be too hard probably to install or work as they should.

3. I get it. I was doing some checking, though, and they use stainless on some of the mopar stuff, and also on some diesels.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Soft" plugs and "freeze" plugs are commonly used terms, but they are really "expansion" or "core" plugs. The openings they plug are for cleaning out the engine casting cores to get rid of sand, chips, etc. from the casting & machining operations. They may (or may not) blow out when water in a block freezes, but I doubt any manufacturer gives a rat's ass about somebody being dumb enough to not put antifreeze in their coolant - they'd just sell them another engine.

It's often been said that the auto business is all about the pennies it costs to produce a vehicle and the extra pennies in time & material to install "freeze" plugs could never be justified unless they were absolutely necessary.

BTW, can't recall seeing stainless steel plugs available.

5. why do you want them in stainless?

6. 54MEB

54MEB

Corrosion can be an issue but we didn't see it that much when I worked at the machine shop as long as you ran anti-freeze. If that is your concern you can coat the back side of the plug with a rust proofing.

7. Thumper

Thumper

Hell......just get some brass ones and polish them up.

8. They make stainless freeze plugs I don't recall where or who but I've seen and used them.
    As for being to hard to blow out I suppose the steel ones are too hard to blow out also.

I personally prefer brass if I can get it. I guess stainless would be a little more high class if your building a show quality rod you could polish the shit out of em before you drag your nylon punch out and poke them buggers in.

Never the less they do exist, none (brass etc) are SBC specific they are sold by diameter and the automotive industry has them packaged in sets for different motors or engines or mills or whatever the word of the day is, for your convenience and their monitary gain.:D

9. Brass core plugs are available anywhere you buy engine parts, I use them religously.

And to clear the air; they are technichly Core Plugs, because they plug the holes left there to enable the foundry to remove the sand after the casting process, that is all! The actual name for that type of plug is Whelch Plug. When water freezes it does so all over, not right where a core plug is. You see, water freezes at 32 degrees, then as it gets colder it starts to expand, I think at 28 degrees. The term "freeze plug" is a misnomer that has led a lot of poor souls into a false sense of security, and as a result a large number of good blocks have been lost.

10. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Just have some brass ones nickle,or chrome plated.....Are you listening , China???

11. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Call H.A.T RACEING ENT SAN RAFAEL CALI. 1- 415-457-1640. he has used them. RACEMATE IN SAN DEIGO CALI. sells them. supose to help with ELECTROLYSIS.

12. Awesome info, guys. I really appreciate it. As for the reason I want them, just because I like the look, and to be different. Thanks again.

13. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

If im not mistaken you can purchase stainless steel freeze plugs from Street and Performance.