Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage houses, post a pic of yours.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. mr. dick

mr. dick
    from New York

Yeah just picked up this little one up last week.

Mr. Dick

Attached Files:

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Here's mine, it's sort of a shingle style / colonial combination built in 1913. You can see a little bit of the 24x40 garage in the back yard that I built a few years ago. :)

Attached Files:

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my old house, 1921, sold it about 4 years ago when the wife and I tied the knot

house we're in now is older 1908, but far less photogenic ;)

vashon house 001.jpg vashon house 007.jpg vashon house 005.jpg

40two likes this.
  4. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks, Dave. We are going to love that house. We don't move in for another month or two. For the most part we like the interior, just the pink rooms and the kitchen need to be updated.

I know what you mean about people who buy these old character houses then renovate them so they look modern inside. Really sucks. We plan to keep all the original character of the place, and will try to make the kitchen look like it belongs.

5. mercjoe

mercjoe

You own the whole building ? pretty amazing :eek:. The pics and your stuff look great. Congrats !!

Diego

6. so.ill.

so.ill.

here is a pic of mine under attack by snow sharks last winter, my house was built in '57.[​IMG]

a driveway shot, house built in '57 and garage in 2007
    [​IMG]

7. daddylama

daddylama

eh... i'm out of complete old cars, so may as well post my complete old house...

built in 1913, left pretty much alone other than some maintenance over the years (so no horrible remodeling, save for a bit of wacky 1980s kitchen cabinetry)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's got a carriage house in the back, which the tools/equipment are squeezed into. the basement has bits of my '28 dodge brothers that'll someday find it's way into the carriage house, and onto the A rails that are tied to the rafters...
    for now, the house needs tons of work, so that's about the only hobby i've got time for

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. the shadow

the shadow

very vintage

Attached Files:

9. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

heres a pic of my warehouse thats under construction.

Attached Files:

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just about the time I shake the desire to sell everything and buy an old house....you guys bring this back to the top.

11. kiotes

kiotes

The old house I used to live in was built in the 20s. This post made me chuckle alittle. I can honestly say my old house was what you would call a RATROD. This thing has paneling on the walls, not bashing paneling. But the paneling was painted,wall papered,had dry wall mud hiding the lines, and ceiling texture(the acoustical texture when that is painted it will take the hide of a elephant, so rought stuff). Every wall leaned a different way and the floor was the same, if you droped a ball you just waited till it hit the otherside of the room and it would bounce back to ya. I removed all the paneling and a few windows in the time we lived there. The walls had from the outside in 12 inch hard board siding a layer of pink 2 inch foam, house vapor wrap, then another 12 hard board siding, thick tar paper, 3/4 inch tongue and grove 12 inch boards, full rough cut 2X4's, old shit fiberglass insulation, then that black fiber board(buffalo board),sheet rock and in places like stated before paneling,wallpaper,texture to cover it all up.. A TRUE RATROD of a house But it had a 24X40 shop on it. I sure miss that SHOP

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread KILLS me! Some amazing houses on here! I'm jealous for sure!!

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

built in 1877.
    this is another pic of the rear with original handmade brick patio.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. I wish I had better pics..... Farm house built in the early 20's I converted the top of grain tower to an office that has views of the entire property. The tower is also connected to the house (can't be seen). Its on 3.5 acres which in my part of the world is quite a bit :)

[​IMG]

15. magoo

magoo

16. magoo

magoo

17. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

my house was built in the 20's and is really nothing to look at right now. but the cool part is that i can walk down the street, like a block, and see elwood haynes' house. i would love to own that one.

18. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Magoo,is that house a former NZR house? .If so,it's full of Heart native timber and was built in Frankton in the Railways house factory as kit. I grew up in several as my old man was railway man as were both my grandfathers.After he resigned from the rail in 1969,my dad used to buy houses from the NZR for $50- $200..... move them to vacant blocks he would buy for around $1000 paint them up and sell them for $3000-$5000.
    my present house was built by the Americans in WW2...it's 4 old army huts joined together and is the biggest shit hole in Brisbane and sits on land worth $1,000,000.It's a pity I only rent the thing :rolleyes:

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sounds like you had a badly street rodded house! Just like an old car, an old house can be totally ruined with low-quality remuddles. The original good stuff is always better and accurate reproductions are big money.

-Dave

20. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Our is in South Austin, built in '59. That outside isn't too much, but we've done the interior in a mid-century modern style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zenor, or you other Modern afficianados, have ya'll ever heard of the achitects of Fehr and Granger? My father in law was an architect there. They did some of the really cool houses on Balcones and around Austin. He left there and started Emerson Fehr (he's Don Emerson) and the did some Modernish houses as they were going out of fashion. Just curious if they are only "known" only in Austin, or outside of Austin as well.

40two likes this.
  21. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Buzzard, Your house is amazing!! Nice work dude!!
    Jimmy White

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hey Buzzard btw, Happy b-day cupcake.

23. Buzzard - nice joint! When all is said and done the 1950-70 ranch will be the iconic American home of the 20th century, like the American 4-square of the 19th. Check out some of these books...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ripbooks&field-keywords=ranch+house&x=12&y=19

Regarding Fehr & Granger - that's cool about your pops-in-law... I'm familiar with 'em from living in Austin, and because I know they did a number of cool houses in Tarrytown / NW Hills. We used to drive along Balcones and ogle some of the F&G moderns (which unfortunately seem to be prime targets of the McMansion satanists). There were several around our old neighborhood in NW Hills, especially Mesa Drive and Mountain Climb.

I'm not sure, but I have a nagging suspicion that our old place in Austin actually might have been a Fehr & Granger, or someone associated with them... it's at 7109 Mesa in case your father in law might know.

Oh yeah, Happy B-day! I'll take a rain check on my spanking privileges.

24. Here's a picture of our old house in Austin that I took at the LSRU last year. We bought it as a foreclosure in '89, our first house. It remains pretty much as we left it, except for the composite roof (it was semi-pitched tar & gravel when we owned it). Sort of MCM meets Texas Vernacular, built in 1965. That thing on the roof is a retractable venting skylight above a glassed-in tropical greenhouse at the center of the house. It was 2600 sq ft, 4 br, 2+2 baths, saltillo tile throughout, and had a 15k gallon kidney shape pool in the back.

If I told you how much I paid, you would puke. It literally cost us less than what an indoor parking slot currently goes for in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood.

[​IMG]

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

My cup of tea.....mid century.

26. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

Here is mine, house is from1927... merc bw.sml.jpg

27. Benjamin

Benjamin

Lotta swanky pads there. I read through hoping Clemdaddy posted one of his house. It's an old service station he added on to. Did most of it himself. Not sure when the original service station was built but I would consider it vintage.

28. Jasonic

Jasonic

Mike - that is one of my favorite houses on Mesa - I grew up just down the road at 6905 on the corner of Mesa and North Hills Dr. I remember riding my bike all around the neighborhood when I was a kid and I was always drawn to the MCM homes over there.

29. purple

purple

I was just offered an old gas station. He wants it gone in the spring but I don't have a place to put it. It is metal and can be dismantled to move. It isn't in the original location and missing the pump cover, just looks like a metal shop building.

30. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You're a bastard and I hate you.:D I want an old warehouse BAD. Something brick with a large dock........Something about a converted industrial feel.