Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Old firetruck found in scrapyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curado81, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Curado81

Curado81

I work in a scrapyard here in New Orleans. Most of the time I am in the office, but I decided to take a tour of the yard today. I found an old firetruck and thought it would be neat to snap a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GTS225

GTS225

Thanks loads for sharing.

Don't just take pics, though.....save that old girl!

Roger

3. kiotes

kiotes

4. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

whats going to happen to it? you could always be a 1 man parade if you fix it up!

5. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Cool truck, thanks for the photos.
    What are their plans, if any?
    Or will it go back under the tarp forever? '22

6. buy it fix it, and love it!!! Looks like it survived Katrina too :)

7. Curado81

Curado81

From what I have been told, it came in a few years ago to be scrapped, and the family that owned the yard at the time didn't have the heart to destroy it. It is one of the only items that is kept indoors. It might not have even been here during Katrina... I actually don't know. I doubt they would sell it to me, but I don't think we are going to destory it either. I just thought it was a nice find. I also found an old jeep that appeared to be some sort of military jeep :confused:

8. john56h

john56h

Sure looks to be in really good condition....I wonder if somebody actually scrapped it? Obviously the scrap yard operators are saving it.

9. BigRed390

BigRed390

Cool truck! Shame you can't buy it and restore it, but i'm happy it's indoors and not rusting away! Seems to be in pretty good shape, too!

10. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"it came in a few years ago to be scrapped"

thats unsat, whoever would scrap that isnt cool in my books, just think how much cool tin has been melted down over the years because someone didnt know what they had.

anyways thanks for sharing i love those old firetrucks.

also in the pictures it looks pretty small, what would the size of the truck be comparable to?

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Probably brought in by some youngster whose Dad or Granddad passed away and left 2+ tons of "scrapmetal" in the garage that had to be disposed of somewhere.
    If you run a ad for a firetruck for sale your only callers will be firemen and they are cheaper than hotrodders or cops.

12. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I am surprised at what dumb people send to the scrapyard, Those things are very valuable I know of one guy around here who loves old firetrucks and even bought an old firehouse to store them in, think about it if your somebody who wants to restore an old fire truck(and has the money) where do you find one those things are RARE.

13. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's almost unbelieveble. Are there people out there that wouldn't realize that it's worth more than scrap price?

I wonder if it was stolen or something, that's just bizarre.

I used to go down to the scrapyard and rescue all the old victorian bronze door hardware and light fixtures that lowlifes would steal off old houses for next to nothing and sell it. You can find really neat stuff in scrapyards.

14. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

hopefully they are good-minded enough to know not to crush that beuty, even if the yard becomes over packed, i should let my neighbor know about that he takes the old firetruck fenders and parts and makes motorcycle fenders and gastanks and stuff for the survivors and family members of lost souls on 9/11

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I had a 1922 REO Speedwagon fire engine until '95. Loads of fun, but lots of work. It was small enough to fit in a standard garage, which was nice.
    Nothing comes close, when it comes to attracting attention from folks of all ages. There is something about an antique fire engine that makes people smile...

16. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'd bet if the guys who are hollerin "save it" put a number on what it was worth to THEM, that number would be not much more than scrap value. guys that collect fire apparatuses usually pick them up for dirt cheap cause nobody wants them. i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up there after somebody TRIED to give it a proper home, and had no takers. don't get me wrong, i ain't saying to crush it, but it ain't exactly gold either.

17. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

im sure they got around 100 bucks for it in metal value. thats what you get for the avarage car around here. Its not gold to us "hotrod" guys but at least for that price the local fire department coulda had a project/parade rig.

18. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

My dad has owned 3 exactly like it for the last 35 years- I'm hoping he contacts me about this truck. Thanks Jim

19. There have been a NUMBER of early firetrucks that have had the frame shortened to make a speedster- and that is a perfect candidate!!!

20. pittsburgholdschooler

pittsburgholdschooler

Looks to be an early 20s American La france pumper...its a chain drive, by the rear fenders....I chased a larger version of it for years here in Pittsburgh...it used to be in a park for kids to play on till the "touchie-feelies" bitched it was dangerous...I tried buying it then, it went into storage at the city pound, then a year later I found it lying in a tow yard..tried to buy it again..never got an answer, it dissapeared...I was told that it was SCRAPPED.:mad:

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I highly doubt that truck is going to be scrapped........as many scrapyard owners just stash and keep the good stuff....otherwise that truck would be OUT in the yard and not in the shop with a cover.....

22. pittsburgholdschooler

pittsburgholdschooler

BTW...I'll come get it if ya need it outta there...

23. Curado81

Curado81

The firetruck is chain driven. I saw that when walking around it. It isn't big at all. I would say wider than my Toyota Tacoma, probably the same length maybe a little shorter. The thing is just pure awesome when standing next to it though. I really love the way it looks and so does the whole crew, I think that is most of the reason that we haven't shredded it. I doubt it will ever get scrapped, at least not by us.

24. Curado81

Curado81

And as per request here is a pic of the jeep that I saw. My blackberry was full of pictures of the firetruck, so I only got one of the jeep.
    [​IMG]

25. Frank

Frank

Turn it into a speedster...

1917 LeFrance

Attached Files:

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yeah, its a shame what firetrucks trade hands for. I have four Seagrave firetrucks. Purchase prices ranged from "free to a good home" to $650. They are worth more as scrap (lots of brass/bronze/aluminum castings in addition to the steel).

One of mine came from a scrap metal recycler....the guy didnt have the heart to crush it.

I'm eventually gonna build a bug hot rod out of at least one of them.

27. tjm73

tjm73

That thing looks like a monster. LOL! I like it.

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Some Fireman would give is left toasted nut for that. I am not a Fireman but and my nut is not toasted but I would give it anyway.

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

what the hell is that engine out of in the background???

30. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Old Fire Trucks make great Hearsts. We call it our last ride.[​IMG]