Register now to get rid of these ads!

al zaborrinni and the beeline willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Mar 12, 2006.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

anyone remember al zaborrinni who ran a 40 willys sponsored by beeline
    automotive out of stamford, conn. in the '60's. just curious as "whatever happened to?"

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's alive and well! Saw it for the first time at the Dover Drag Strip Reunion 2005. I'll post some photos later tonight. :D

3. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

wow! really! that's great .thanks so much for responding," 37 kid" i'd really
    appreciate it. does he stillown it?either way, thanks again 37.take care

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of my main flaws is my inability to remember peoples names, FACES & CARS are unforgettable, so I can't give the name of the current Bee Line Willys owner. Real nice guy and he has done a nice job puting the car back together and is saving all the original paint and logo. :)

Attached Files:

5. storm king

storm king

That car was black for a time. I've got pictures of it from Dover in '64

6. galahad

galahad

A friend of mine now owns the Beeline Willys.He would love to see those pictures from the 60's at Dover,or any that any exist from the past.

7. storm king

storm king

I've got a couple of black/white shots of the Bee Line car when it was black. I've got it on color super 8mm movie for about a second or two. It was a memorable car in that it was the only gasser that ran weekly at Dover that made quick,clean passes. It was an animal for the time. One of my favorite cars at Dover. The other notables were the Brazze Brothers Crosley altered, Charlie Bouchers A bone pick up c/altered truck (a national record holder in c/a) and the Bershire Beetle dragster. How about the black '36 Dodge of Antonne Addesso? (sp) Anyone remember that?

8. john56h

john56h

Al Zerbarini raced a Mini Sprint at Accord Speedway in Accord, NY quite successfully back in the 1990's.

His daughter and her husband currently own the track (bought it around 2001). Al and his wife are often at Accord on Fridays helping out their daughter and son-in-law.

http://www.accordspeedway.com/

9. john56h

john56h

From the Accord Speedway website news release of the season ending banquet:

"Lifetime Achievement Awards were given to Al Zerbarini, a pioneer in auto racing with a vast history of winning in drag racing as well as the dirt tracks. Zerbarini, at 80 years old today, ran his last race at the age of 65, where he was credited with a second place finish in Mini Sprint competition. Al and Lousie Zerbarini were honored for their long association with the Speedway."

10. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

the black '36 Dodge of Antonne Addesso is in Bethel CT although it might me going back to Antonne. It unfortunately has been sitting in a field for a few years and has had a mustang II front end installed in place of the straight axle.(oh the butchers tyring to make a streetrod out of it.) The guy that owns it may let it go but only to Antonne.

11. storm king

storm king

This site is incredible. Zerarini owes Accord? I remember going there and seeing guys driving their race cars to the track (in the 1970's!) and saw a couple go off turn one into a pond...and then all these ducks flying like crazy to get away from all the commotion.
    Antonne originally had a steel coupe, but they made their own (very bad) fiberglass replica body for that car. So somewhere around there there's another '36 Dodge he had first, or maybe the fiberglass on disintegrated.

12. john56h

john56h

Accord Speedway is currently owned and operated by Gary & Donna Palmer with help from their own three children who are in their twenties and help from Donna's parents....the Zerbarinis.

Nobody crashes into the duck pond anymore, the walls are 8 feet high boiler plate steel instead of those wonderful old board fences.

13. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Hey Storm,
    I sure do remember the Brazee Bros. Crosley,named
    "The Little Giant",(what a name ) ! I used to see it run at Connecticut Dragway. I've heard the car is in New York, and is painted black,runs as a bracket racer/

14. storm king

storm king

Hey Dennis, Yeah that car was awsome back in the day. Injected sbc if I recall; which is even rarer, one that ran well! Really one of the cleanest altereds I ever saw.

15. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Storm,
    Do you also remember Angelo Greco's orange A/GS 37 Willys coupe? First Willys I ever saw. It was sold to Gary Saunders, he sold it and then it disappeared. Wonder where it is now?

16. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

How 'bout the Brown willy's out of Stamford,Ct? Owned by ??

17. storm king

storm king

Angelo Greco's car? I'll ask my brother about that, I don't recall it. I do remember the Aroura & car, a green '40 Willy's out of N.J.; the team also had a max wedge super stocker and I think both cars used the same motor. If memory serves me correctly Tim Richards, or Joe Amato and now Bernstien Bud King fame, was the crew chief on that car.
    Dino! I was wonderin' where you were man! You're late to this party!

18. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

I lettered the thing & can't remember the owner...BUT for all you Dover Guys...I JUST TOOK POSSESSION OF over 1200 photos from Dover in black & white that were converted to cd from ORIGINAL Terry O"Shea negitives ! ! ! too much to go through But will find the time to try & catalog . How ...I don't know but will figure out how to Thumb nail on a site or something.

19. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Hit search And put in Dover Drag strip or Dover Reunion....lot more stuff there.

20. storm king

storm king

21. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Yea Storm, The Aurora 7 Willys Was In An Old Magazine In
    Front Of Hirsch Bros. Dodge(brooklyn?)which I Think Was A Sponsor.yes,had The Max Wedge With Cross Ram Carbs?
    One Of The Guys,maybe The Driver Was Jerry Lanzelotto?
    A True Gasser.

22. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Here's a nice Update for this Topic. Al Z. On Video being Reunited with his restored car at the 2009 Dover Reunion. It's in a little (at 11:05) ,so be patient. Other Dover veterans in attendance include Bobby Lagana, John Sachs (& partner Ron Malinese get Reunited with Thier Old Anglia Gasser), Charlie Boucher (Bad News B/A ) and more.

Video:
    http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1670

Topic on The Beeline Willys:
    http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1654

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  23. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Attached Files:

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thoughts and prayers going out to his family and friends. Bob

25. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Another update on the Bee Line Willys. It is currently in our shop, Ron has removed the SBC and went back with the blown Olds. We are running fuel and water lines and should have it running in a few days. If all goes well it will be in Indy for the 58th annual Mac tools US Nationals Labor Day weekend August 29 - September 3.

26. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

27. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

28. Small world, I used to Motorcycle Flattrack race there in the 80z.

29. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Thanks for the pics Johnny Wishbone! The car and motor looks great!