Register now to get rid of these ads!

driving accesories from the starter gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imperial, Nov 27, 2007.

1. imperial

imperial

on the 392 with 6-71 there is not a lot of room to drive the alternator and the powersteering pump, and I like to keep the front of the engine as clean as possible.
    Could I drive them direct from the starter gear?
    I have a trans adaptor for a GM trans.
    I also could make a new spacer so I could use a tooted belt.
    That would mean that if the belt breaks I have to disconect tge trans to get a new belt on, But those belts last at least 40000 KM and that is when used for the distribution so using them for a alternator and powersteering pump I expect them to last a lot longer.

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW I have seen an alternator hidden under the oil pan in a flathead equipped ford pickup (F-1/F-100). It took me a while to spot it. IIRC there are some generators that have a power steering pump on the back of them ('50's GM IIRC), might solve your problem and be easier to maintenain.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you want to drive the alternator with the starter motor?
    and the power steering pump?

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

oh, I reread the question, you mean drive them with the flywheel
    do you need power steering, and can you run the alternator off the rear's pinion?

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've seen thm drivn off the pinion. Thats wicked cool. Just don't let it idle too long.

If you end up driving the belt from the flywheel, throw a few extra belts on there and tie them up out of the way. When one breaks, just slide a new one on. Works all the time on front end loaders with the hydro pump driven off the crank pulley via a short driveshaft. Gotta take half the machine apart to change a belt.

6. squirrel

squirrel

my first thought is that the flywheel is wayyyyy too big in diameter to drive the alternator at a reasonable speed.

7. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

I read this a few times, then I thought, Hmmmmmmm, must be hi-tech, beyond my simple mind when it comes to cars, I run generators, you can see them like any old car, they have a little skinny belt that is easy to drive off a pulley somewhere on a blown engine, and who needs p.s. when you have a blown 392 hemi,

8. I don't have pictures but about 4 Years ago I built brackets for a Small Mitsubishi 60 Amp alt and a G M remote resivore Pump. They mounted off the Pan Rail on either side and the V pully was between the Ballancer and the Blower Belt pully. One belt drove both units. The Pump was solid mounted and the Alt tightened the Belt. No big deal.
    The Wizzard

9. imperial

imperial

Thanks for the reply's
    Now I think of it the flywheel is indeed way to big.
    And I do need powersteering the hemi is in the original 1957 imperial.
    with the propane tanks it weight is a little over 6000 lbs
    plus a 8200 lbs airstream trailer behind it.
    I think it looks better when there is no alternator and PS pump to see.

10. Wesley

Wesley

The whole idea of a blown 57 Imperial powered by propane, towing an Airstream is too sick for words. I like it! Now we need to see pictures.

11. imperial

imperial

here's a pic.

Attached Files:

12. lolife

lolife

Here's a thought (as I look at this turbine jet engine)...

Make a new GM adaptor plate, so you can have a starter on one side, and an alternator on the other side (I'm thinking one of those midget alternators, as you probably don't need more than 65 amps anyway). Make it a gear-drive alternator. Sure it will make noise, but probably not as much as the blower. For power steering pump you can use an electric one.

Okay, more coffee...