Register now to get rid of these ads!

Really stupid question...SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Hans

Hans

What parts are needed to get an SBC to run...or any engine for that matter?

So, far all I have is the block, heads, and intake....

Help this dumass out!

Thanks

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Fuel , compression, spark, and all the parts to provide that...??

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Lift the hood on one that runs. See all those pulleys, belts, linkages, manifolds, etc., etc.? You need them.

4. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Pistons, rings, camshaft, lifters, pushrods, bearings, carb, distributor, coil, plugs, plug wires, core plugs, water pump, oil pump, oil pump pushrod, harmonic balancer, various bolts, gasket set. I know that I'm forgetting something. :)

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Go to a big book store and pick up a copy of '' How to rebuild your Small Block Chevy''..........plenty of pics to show you the rest of the ingredients required...Littleman

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, you really need someone local who knows his way around a chevy and maybe has some odd parts lying idle...your info needs are beyond easy written answers! That book, by Vizard, is a really excellent one covering a LOT of basics on setup and startup in very clearl language.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

block, pistons, rings, rods, crank shaft, bearings, oil pump, pickup tube, oil pan, heads, valve covers, rocker arms, valves, pushrods, lifters, cam shaft, distributor, cap, rotor, points, spark plug wires, spark plugs, exhaust manifolds, pulleys, balancer, timing belt or chain, timing cover, belts, hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing, starter, battery, a ton of bolts and gaskets....and gas!!!

did I forget anything?

8. jonny o

jonny o

9. you are right , this is a stupid question

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yes. Air. And if air is needed, then gravity as well. Cuz man could that be frustrating working without that shit.

11. old beet

old beet

Yer a block head, not too much intake...........OLDBEET

12. john56h

john56h

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Air! Ah yes, good old air!

15. punkrockpatrick

punkrockpatrick

<BR>
    valve springs, and dont for get the tools required for this assembly. not exactly something you can do with your girlfirends pink tool kit

16. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

dont forget the freakin oil pump driveshaft!!!

17. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

get a '72 Ford Maverick or any late '70s chevy with an inline six or V8 and keep that runnin' before you even SAY "model A".

18. rusty48

rusty48

Really everything there is for a reason,about the only thing you can do without is power steering pump or A/C compressor,you can start an engine without a waterpump,valvecovers or exaust manifolds but just for a minute.

19. kiotes

kiotes

??????????? is this for real ??????????????????

20. jonny o

jonny o

Wait, wait.. I got it: a mechanically inclined friend!

21. Hans

Hans

Yeah it is for "real". As I said, I know it's a dumbasss question.

But ya gotta learn somewhere.

22. kiotes

kiotes

The best thing to do is like one of the others had said. Just buy How To Build a Small Blockk Chevy..

23. budd

budd

about 8 good strong legs will make any sbc run like crazy, ok so i remember asking someone what way wheel nuts went on, pointy side in or out.

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Call Boyd between the two of you you'll figure it out ....... well maybe not

But if he can find the bill's from the last 'Build'' that's a start :)

GERM? Where the fuck is GERM?

25. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

We all started somewhere. I had old high school shop books and the old clymers/chiltons for my cars and learned from there. High school shop class helped, and I got a job at 15 working with semi-trailers and watching a drag racer maintain his sportsman rail. Soak it all in and ask plenty of questions, and read read read!

I still have the 1st 350 I rebuilt. that was 13 years ago. Wow.

26. kustomrodder53

kustomrodder53

For your first assembly of any machine, it's best to start with a complete one. Take it apart. Put it back together. You'll see where all the shit goes as you go. Don't throw anything away until it's working again.

27. On a relatively serious note, three comments.

1) Buy the Vizard book....it will save you a ton of frustration. Even going to the library & studying the Chevy engine section in a '70 shop manual will help...photocopy if needed.

2) You are dealing with the SBC, the most common automotive engine on the planet. For you to scrounge up all this stuff....EVEN if you plan on a complete rebuild, or performance stuff...will be very costly.

Go to a local salvage yard and buy a COMPLETE running 350 out of a car, with the brackets, bolts, covers, etc. Even if you want to rebuild an engine for the experience...or, you plan on replacing lots of stuff for looks/perf.......you will still get invaluable knowledge out of seeing it intact, & then tearing it down. plus it will be cheaper in the long run.

Complete 350s are often only $100, sometimes less...possibly not including the alternator & starter. Sometimes the "U-Pull" yards will do 1/2 price days...$50. Worth the experience.....disconnecting it, making mistakes, seeing what's attached to what...

Edit: I'd look for one from around '69 to '72-'73, if it's possible...generally better heads than later on, the more compact (narrower) long pump & acc. drive system...but it's not that big a deal. You may elect to use some of your existing parts if they're suitable, & that's fine too.

3) Consider a basic QUALITY rebuild kit...don't use junk that will last 10,000 miles. Take a kit something like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...5~311 or FEM~CSMHP760~311&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=

& add a MILD cam/lifter kit, a valvespring kit, timing set, Edelbrock Performer & 500-600 cfm carb of your choice, & you're good to go for quite a while. You could use the original intake/carb at first to save $$ if it's an issue.

Good luck. :)

P.S. A crate engine might be a better option, depending on what you want to do and your patience level. However, if you want to do this yourself, there are a few things to consider while you are doing it...your expectations; what it's going to be used in; mileage; & so on. It's the total combination that counts, not just the engine.

Also remember, once you have a plan that seems good, hopefully approved by someone who knows the SBC well, stick to it! Don't start changing things in mid-project ("well, maybe I'll go up to a bigger cam..."). This is a sure way to end up with a pile of mismatched parts, an engine that runs like crap, with poor mileage to boot.

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Farmcal- Go to D & A enginering in your town and ask Bob to show you a dissasembled engine. Maybe he's hiering a shop helper.

29. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

beer...you gotta have beer.

30. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

buy a running one in a wreaked car for cheep start it up and pull stuff off till it dont run no more, soon youll be left with just the stuff ya need ha ha