Register now to get rid of these ads!

351 Cleveland? Good under hood? Better under water?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Search: aus* head* 351* on eBay & pick up a set of Aussie 2V closed chamber heads - best upgrade you can do for a street engine.
    Aftermarket timing chain, aluminum intake, good 4-bbl & run it. Cam it if you want, but you'll likely be so happy with the improvement of the Aussie heads, there will be no need...

If you want more, there's plenty avail, but look to oiling restrictors if you're going to rev it. I'd steer clear of HV or HP pump w/o oiling restrictors & neither is required for street engine.

If it's a 351M though, I say, "under water" (sorry, T-Time, beg to differ with you)

2. As I put Norris, I've only ever seen C4's behind them here. Got one in the garage in fact.

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thanks for posting this thread for me. The car is actually mine, I just asked Chris to gather some info for me as I was away on business. I think I'll leave the Cleveland in it for now or until I break it. I'm a Ford guy myself.

4. George

George

The C-4 was used on 289/302, 351-2V (W or C) got the FMX, & 351-4V got the C-6. Late in the 70s, as Detroit got desperate for MPG, 351Ws has C-4s. By then the rated HP was down from the early 70s.

5. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

My exp has been this, 351 2v heads pre 76 or 400/ /M heads work great for the street.

The cam is the key!!!! go with a 110 centerline (Fuck that RV CAM SHIT!), if you are wider like a 114 you will get no,,,,ZERO,,,bottom end torque. With the C engine, centerline and duration are more important than a big lift when going automatic. I gota go back and see some specs)

Okay so you don't use headers. That is cool as long as you do an "H" pipe. If you don't , again you lose bottom end tourque.

Trans:

C4: add hardend inpit shaft and better bands, pushing the heavier car, the input takes a beating (ask me how I know!!)

FMX: Can... handle plenty of tourque! will EXPLODE with big RPMs. if you are running tha 3.0 gear I doubt you will be spinning it to 6 grand! will work for you.

C6: going racing? if not the C6 has such heavy internals that it takes your power,,,,again from the bottom end torque!

Take it or leave it,

I put a 351C in a 58 Custom 300, and a Boss version in my Stang, did some draggin and lots of street driving, I also broke some parts along the way.

Dave

6. elcornus

elcornus

Here's my '70 351 C 4V motor with a tunnelram and 2 450cfm holleys on it.
    Gonna stuff it into my '30 coupe, with a WC T-5 and a posi 9"

It came from a '70 GT ranchero, and ran like a raped ape in that heavy boat, figure it'll be fast as hell in a 2800lb coupe!

[​IMG]

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Why you little....

[​IMG]

8. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I wont the heads for my 302

9. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

What's in an Aussie Ltd?????????:p

10. The Cleveland I pulled from an LTD for a 37 pickup project a few months back has a C4. And so did the LTD siting next to it. I submit Exhibit A.

Attached Files:

11. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

sure stick it in a fifties car..just NEVER open the hood,
    and dont even consider one for an open engine hot rod,
    They are one of the ugliest looking motors ever produced.
    there, i said it.
    there are loads of cleveland engined rods down here, and fuck do they look hideous.:)

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Das cool. I dont really like hotrods anyway.

13. chickncoupe

chickncoupe
    from michigan

I got a cleveland with the 2V heads in my A put a .536 lift cam,600 holley good springs and intake on it with a C 6 trans, 3600 converter and 389 gears. runs great !!! lots of torque.

14. Yes, yes, yes, but I wouldn't be so quick to blame the engine!

15. jeffrob

jeffrob

I still have whiplash injuries from my buddies 351 Cleveland back in high school, good powerful motor....... definite keeper.

16. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Bet you don't like ice cream either.

[​IMG]

I'd be ashamed of this

17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

What is that thing-take under the carb? ;)

Neat looking motor.

18. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Ltd....XD/E??? or XA/B/C series?????

wow....so then why did I end up with 4 FMXs piled in my dad's garage??????? was I unlucky????????:confused:

19. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I know its really late, but that kinda looks like an FMX to me. Longer bell, shorter case, long tailshaft.

But its really late so I could be completely wrong.

20. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I agree. Also has the "blended" main case to bellhousing where the C4 has an abrupt step where the case meets the bellhousing, but hard to tell for sure from the pic.

21. OK. Round here the earlier Windsor C4's are like would be familiar to you. The Cleveland ones, like in the pic have a bigger bell, containing a bigger converter and flexplate. The trans case itself with these flares out to meet the bigger bell, which is what you are seeing. The dipstick also goes into the side of the pan, not into the case. Here's a side on view (non dipstick side). Sorry, I haven't done a bunch of pics for this specific subject, best I can do at short notice.

Attached Files:

22. Mullda

Mullda

Hey, Chickncoupe, you have any pics of your setup? Did you recess your firewall?

23. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The FMX has an iron main case, and the bellhousing is held with 4 bolts in a rectangular pattern. No band piston housing on the side.

Most of the Clevelands I've run across were from Torino's and came with a C6.

The C4 came in big and small bellhousing flavors, depending on the car they came in.

[​IMG]

24. George

George

Depending on the year, an LTD is a Falcon 4 dr (visualize Mad Max yellow Interceptor), but with a front end styled after a Rolls Royce!

25. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

That's a Bud Moore "box". Used in Nascar in the 70's. Basically a squashed tunnel ram. Big plenum, long runners, but fits under a hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. George

George

Generally speaking, all the C's Ive had had FMX behind the 2V & C-6 behind the 4V engines.

27. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just goes to prove it's always different down under! :D

Easier ID is the pan - C4 is basically square, while FMX is more rectangular.

Had forgotten about iron case, but wouldn't put it past the aussies to do it up in aluminum! :D

Did the aussie C4 only come behind 302C or where they also avail behind 351C?

28. chickncoupe

chickncoupe
    from michigan

Ill get som pics soon did not recess fire wall extended wheel base and it a complete round tube chassis the fire wall is flatend out at cowel molding

29. George

George

at least some down there had Borg Warner trannys.

30. chickncoupe

chickncoupe
    from michigan

Here if the picture that I promised!
    [​IMG]