Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 pontiac 3w coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Shouldn´t be too bad to fix then.
    How does the woodwork look?

2. Hell, they both look equally buildable - one stock, one hot rod.

3. davesville

davesville

shouldnt be but 80 % of the timber is not good and even though i am a carpenter i build houses which are not supposed to move .the bodies in these cars are meant to flex a little and thats whythey have little glue and special joining methods .should be a new learning experience

4. davesville

davesville

more info and pics to come rusty and you are thinkin the same way i am .engine numbers are as follows coupe p 665163 phaeton p609187 will look for body numbers tomorrow .holden body (australia)

Attached Files:

5. First slap your mate with the tow truck,that was precious cargo,nice finds there.HAMBer WHODAMAN posted some pics of a customers 30 Pontiac.Here's a couple of them,plus a couple stockers(pics from the HAMB)

6. Interesting, both of those numbers fall under the 1929 1/2 range, and both should then be the same bore -

7. davesville

davesville

the hood on both cars are dfferent the phaeton is 24 louvres and the coupe has 30 wondering which model had 30 they are slightly different in size also

8. davesville

davesville

one unusual thing on the coupe is this mascot on the cowl .i think its 1933 pontiac .its been there a long time judjing by the paint and the rusty screws and the car came with a straight 8 spare motor which appears to be in good condition . could this bolt into the coupe (just wondering)

Attached Files:

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Davesville!
    I've been busy lately and never got back to check your progress until today.
    Hard to tell from the pics but you sure do seem to have a good base to work from. But of course that depends on the skills you posess or are willing to learn. I wish my 30 rpu was anywhere close to that to start with! You have to pretend that I have a truck. ;)
    See... I told you that you would get some good info from the folks here about your car. :) If you join the POCI as numskal wisely suggested and you should get some info about the drivetrain question you asked. Also.. post the question here as new post like I mentioned.
    Agreed about slapping you mate. Silly dill. What's the expression? "Come a gutser " ?
    I'm just glad he didn't try to show you how hard of a bump he could take without the load bouncing off the truck! ;)
    Keep us posted.

10. davesville

davesville

will post more information soon preparing for .biggest swap meet in oz tomorrow (bendigo)and its going to be warm 33 degrees so i will pack the esky well my mate will be there the tow truck driver (all is forgiven) hoping to find 29 pontiac parts. you just dont know what will appear at this place. i will take some pics with this new camera .so many things to restore so little time (sound familiar)

11. numskal

numskal

hey Davesville, I don't think that's a 33 Pontiac radiator ornament on the cowl, here's a shot of a couple of them off the web (one's a copy and the one on the car is correct). It looks like there should be a wing coming off the back of yours which may have broken off?

Attached Files:

12. davesville

davesville

numscal youre right it looks more like a bird than that. i normally notice things like that (not this time abit newfangled with what i have)also it has a mid thirties steering wheel (i think)and a pontiac emblem on the dash definately not 29 .this coupe came with a spare straight 8 motor .identifying these parts will help me identify this motor which i believe came from the same property 35 years ago and they were stored there in a shed for 20 years i am picking up the straight 8 soon and if it fits it may go into the coupe as the original motor is seized.will post some pics after work tomorrow for those interested later dave:)

13. davesville

davesville

a few pics .slowly getting better at this as i am no photo dude.also included is body plate for phaeton (thats for you rusty).if you cant read it tell me and i will pm you dave

Attached Files:

14. davesville

davesville

this is what i first felt like when i first purchased these cars has any one got a radiator surround for a29 pontiac

Attached Files:

15. Davesville,

Are you sure that phaeton is a Pontiac? I have a 30 Pontiac phaeton and the body lines are totally different. I know that mine being a US phaeton the body was built by Stewart Body Co. while the Aussie bodies were built by Holden, but usually there are simularities in the cowl, hood, and fenders.

Here's a few shots of my Pontiacs: I have gone a little nuts after buying my first one-a 31 rumble seat coupe which I built ground up as a resto rod. Then there is my 31 cabriolet convertible project, a 31 two door sedan barn find, a 30 coupe barn find (runs and drives), the 30 phaeton, and a 30 4 door sedan that is all there just disassembled by the previous owner. I've also found a 1930 Oakland V8 engine that I plan to install in the 30 phaeton (just to be different). That's not my engine in the pic as mine is disassembled.

Sorry I don't have a 29 radiator shell but as 29 was a high volume year for Pontiacs, they do turn up occasionally. Good score on both cars and that landau coupe will make a shart ride either way you go. Still wondering about that phaeton. Nice car regardless though.

Attached Files:

16. Davesville,

Upon closer inspection, I also not sure that the coupe is a 29 model. The radiator shell is a 29 but the cowl and hood revel moldings are saying 1930. If true, then you have a rare bird indeed as 30 was the lowest production year. Does the cowl on the coupe have mold lines on each side that curve vertically down in front of the doors and then horizontally toward the bottom edge of the cowl? (Similar to the cowl body lines of a 1928-1929 Ford Model A) If so then it is a 29 Pontiac. If not then it is a 30. Or at least this is true of US Pontiacs. Again, because Oakland/Pontiac shipped only chassis' with grille shells and then had Holden build the bodies, these items I mentioned may not be true for down under.

Appears someone cut the middle of the headlight bar out. Originally the headlight bar ran from one fender to the opposite fender. This I think is true of US and Aussie cars.

17. skyspop

skyspop

Heres a Pic of my mopar,I would love to have a phaeton like yours,I would do that before the coupe if I were you,Pontiacs have cooler grills than plymouths too..

Attached Files:

18. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I hate to Hijak,But I also have a question on a 1929 Pontiac 6-29-C coupe.I have the job # 8950.Does that number going to reveil anything.I also wanted to know if this car was a rumble seat car or no trunk at all.I may have a chance to scoop one up here shortly.Its a complete basket case thats been up in a hay loft since 58.I dont have much info on the car other than that.

19. davesville

davesville

it sounds like a 29 coupe to me pm rustynewyorker or rarerodder these guys know early pontiacs

20. davesville

davesville

rarerodder thanks for coming onboard .i love what you have done to youre 31 coupe beutiful car.answering youre question about the phaeton its original and that body plate is still attached to the original timber(although the picture does not show it)imust admit i took the radiator surround off the phaeton with lots of work (rusted on) and put it on the coupe for a photo. the coupe never came with a grille surround so i still dont know if it is a28 29 or 30.tell me where to take pictures and i will (i need the practice)

21. Davesville,

Thank you for the compliment on my 31. I've had it on the road since 1999 and I've loved every minute of it! Hope to build the 31 convertible as a twin to it.

I must admit I'm mystified as to the exact year of your cars. I've studied your pictures more closely and as for the coupe, first the dash looks like a 29 as it has two light escutcheons over the instruments. The 30's only had one.

Second, the embossed belt lines that run on both sides from the doors to the cowl and the length of the hood are like a 30. 29's didn't have these on the cowl or hood.

Third, on the 29, see GizmoJoe's link: http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/vbp...?do=view&g=152
    and notice in the picture of the right (driver's side for you) of the car on the trailer, there is a moulded line that runs vertical down from the windshield about 5-6 cm forward of the door hinges and it then curves forward horizontally as it reached the bottom edge of the cowl. These lines on both sides indicate a 29. I don't think your car has these.

But what makes me think all of this can only be used on U.S. bodies is that, fourth, the moulded belt lines that I talked about that run horizontally along the sides of the hood, then the cowl, then the doors-this line on 30's extends on past the door and follows the top sides of the rear quarter panels arc'ing over the rear fenders. Your car does not have these lines on the rear quarters.

Your coupe seems to be a mixture of 29 & 30 tell-tale features. Guess Holden had its own styling ideas.

And, the phaeton is so different from a U.S. 29 or 30 phaeton that is why I questioned it even being a Pontiac. But if you took that grille shell off of it then it must be.

Another interesting point to note is that I don't think the U.S. 29 Pontiacs had a landau coupe. The only cars with the faux landau bars was a 1928 sport coupe and a 29 landau sedan (called a Landaulet). There was a 29 cabriolet that had actual folding landau bars. No 1930 had either fake or real landau bars. Then the 31's and 32's cabriolet convertibles had real folding landau bars.

Confused yet? I am.

Great cars totally. Will make very nice rides original or modified. I like em both ways. Also, is that the bumper on the coupe that came with it? It's very different from a U.S. 29 or 30. I'll keep an eye out for another 29 grille shell for you. Need anything else?

Rick <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

22. 35mastr,

8950 is a 2 passenger standard coupe. It didn't have a rumble seat originally. It does though have a trunk for storage where the rumble seat would be. It is going to look just like the car in GizmoJoe's link on the first page of this thread, 3rd post down. Hope this helps.

23. Davesville,

Thank you for the compliment on my 31. I've had it on the road since 1999 and I've loved every minute of it! Hope to build the 31 convertible as a twin to it.

I must admit I'm mystified as to the exact year of your cars. I've studied your pictures more closely and as for the coupe, first the dash looks like a 29 as it has two light escutcheons over the instruments. The 30's only had one.

Second, the embossed belt lines that run on both sides from the doors to the cowl and the length of the hood are like a 30. 29's didn't have these on the cowl or hood.

Third, on the 29, see GizmoJoe's link: http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/vbp...?do=view&g=152
    and notice in the picture of the right (driver's side for you) of the car on the trailer, there is a moulded line that runs vertical down from the windshield about 5-6 cm forward of the door hinges and it then curves forward horizontally as it reached the bottom edge of the cowl. These lines on both sides indicate a 29. I don't think your car has these.

But what makes me think all of this can only be used on U.S. bodies is that, fourth, the moulded belt lines that I talked about that run horizontally along the sides of the hood, then the cowl, then the doors-this line on 30's extends on past the door and follows the top sides of the rear quarter panels arc'ing over the rear fenders. Your car does not have these lines on the rear quarters.

Your coupe seems to be a mixture of 29 & 30 tell-tale features. Guess Holden had its own styling ideas.

And, the phaeton is so different from a U.S. 29 or 30 phaeton that is why I questioned it even being a Pontiac. But if you took that grille shell off of it then it must be.

Great cars totally. Will make very nice rides original or modified. I like em both ways. Also, is that the bumper on the coupe that came with it? It's very different from a U.S. 29 or 30. I'll keep an eye out for another 29 grille shell for you. Need anything else?

Rick <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

24. G'day Rick, it was quite common for body builders such as Holdens to use the same panels on different makes as tooling would of been too costly for a small market such as ours. This is why I said to Davesville some Chev panels should fit. The cowl top most likely is standard Pontiac and Holdens have used the Chev cowl sides. The doors look the same as '29 Chev but I can't see clear enough. Also the 1/4s are most likely Chev.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

25. Hi Jimmy,

Yes, I think you are bang-on with that assesment. I've learned something -though not quite sure what exactly until we determine the true years from Davesville's cool cars. I love the Oakland built Pontiacs (1926-1931) and seeing these makes them even more interesting to me.

Not quite sure what happened with my posts there, I guess I goofed somehow and posted the same message twice.

Since you guys are finding these cool cars down there, somebody find me a 28-31 Pontiac Ute and send it to me! I would love to see such a car!

Rick

26. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Man! The wealth of knowledge here keeps amazing me. :)

27. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

God I hate you.

I've got a 27 Pontiac Sport Coupe. Like your's but not.:D I'm going to build a 389 with tripower, radirs, pie crusts and run that bastard right across the salt until I slam myself into a mountainside.

Then die HAPPY.:D

28. davesville

davesville

brandy before you slam yourself into a mountainside can you post some pics of youre coupe .ive shown ya mine now you show me yours:D :D

29. davesville

davesville

i figure that in 1929 the person who bought the car was 30 years or older(AFTER ALL IT WAS THE DEPRESSION) ITS NOW 2007 which would make the original owner 107 years old even if he was 20 years old .rich and bought a car he would be 97 years old now. there is not many oltimers left to ask.so we are left to pick up the pieces we may not get it right but we try .in my opinion there will be many more orphan cars come into the limelight nash studebaker dodge (dare i say it pontiac)these are all beutiful cars and there are many more.i have included more photographs for those who care thanks dave

Attached Files: