Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craislist scammer? What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc22, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc22

Doc22

Alright, the deleted thread in the history of the HAMB. We'll clean it up a little and see if this flies...

So I have some chevelle parts list on the L.A. cl. I got this email today. So what do you think? Is this a scam...:rolleyes:

"I am interested in immediate purchase of your
    item.After several consideration over the advert
    placed on the website,my client has really shown
    interest in it and would really want to issue the
    payment in form of Cashier's Check/Money Order.Will
    you be accepting a Cashier's Check/Money Order? The
    cashiers check that will be drawn by my client would
    include the cost for shipping this item to my client
    and my commission would be included on the same
    Cashier's Check/Money Order.We shall solely be
    responsible for the shippment of the item. if you
    really show willingness in selling this item
    asap.Thank You and I am expecting your
    response asap."

I responded to this 'interprising young fellow' informing him that he may be attempting to 'mislead' the wrong 'fellow' and 'kindly' suggested that he learn english before attemping such 'sillyness' in the future.

Does that make it by the censors?;)

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

When they e-mail you, they're doing so annonymously though Craigslist. When you reply to tell them off, they have your e-mail address, and so does everyone else. I just delete them.

3. 40chev

40chev

I got something simular through craigslist...I have a couple cars up for sale and I get a email asking if I still have it and let him know asap....I reply back and then get another email saying he wants the truck even though he never seen it, I am to send him my full name, address ect and he will send me a "certified check" and have his shipper pick it up....YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!....... Delete!!!!!!!!! now this moron has my email address, prob sell it to every scammer on the net.... I hate scammers and thieves......

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I can't believe you guys still question if it's fake or not after reading that first sentence;
    "I am interested in immediate purchase of your item."

WHO in their right mind starts off an reply like that. ;)

5. hotrodhambones

hotrodhambones
    from louisiana

any time they refer to your ad as a advert
    , i delete them , it seems when they use
    this term they are scammers.

6. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

theres a post on the jockey journal about simular situation on craigslist... scammers are everywhere it seems... bastards

7. waynejell

waynejell
    from USA

Ah....Yeah:D :D :D it is a scam!!!

8. I get them all the time and my first clue is they always "i" instead of "I" looks like "YOU" might be one of "THEM"

9. Doc22

Doc22

That's my post. If you read the jj thread you got the 'uncensored' version of the tale.:D I spend more time over there but I happened to be logged in here when I checked my email. I figured I'd share it with everyone...

10. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

i've gotten a few messages like that, far as i can tell it's just like a bot in a chat room, u wont get a response.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

it will always be someone with a gmail.com account!

12. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

...or a Yahoo-account.

13. Doc22

Doc22

Yep, it was yahoo.

No response of course. Too bad.:D

14. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I guess he was on to you? ;)
    I hate smart scammers... :D

15. We are car guys aren't we? It sounds like some Fag wrote that.

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have gone back and forth with them. Having them send checks all over the world, giving them 5 different names and selling them 4 or 5 different items at a time. Its funny.

Person emails about car, I respond...they respond, now I respond about the "boat" Im selling, then back and forth, next email I refer to the "schoolbus". Finally they catch on and realize that they have wasted a TON of time with me.

One of my friends has actually scammed money out of them. 3 times now, its amazing. Hes gotten like $1500 a pop. Now hes scamming a scammer telling him that essentially, he can teach him his mistakes and make him a better scammer, but it will cost $1500. Sometimes these people on the other end of the screen are as gullible as the folks they are scamming. Some seem to just be mass emailing form letters...its amazing.

17. SHOE-BOX-JOE

SHOE-BOX-JOE

allot of Japanese use brokers. when i sold my 49 ford shoebox I got a lot of brokers interested in it off of eBay motors. they spoke like this directly to me via phone calls. But when i found out they need to make the car street legal for registration in Japan. meaning they would put door handles back on remove the airbags and all this. i was um no thank you. So it may be a scam or a Japanese guy wanting your parts but cant speak English.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's your first clue that something isn't right. The use of the words: "my client". They do this to give the impression that a big buyer is trying to get the part. the odds of that are slim to none. Big money buyers may use a broker, but usually AFTER they have contacted the seller themselves.

I have a friend who buys and sells muscle cars. He finds them in ads on the net and in papers. When he sees something he likes, he contacts the owner. If it's out of town or state, he sends someone to look it over and pay the cash. He ALWAYS pays cash. he says it eliminates the bullshit. If his guy checks out the car and it's something special, he goes out himself.

Don't fall for people pretending they are a big money operation. The game is old and out dated. Back in the day, scammers used to rent a limo and pull up to a dealer pretending to be big money. The limo drops them off and leaves, the salesman falls over himself trying to kiss ass, the guy takes a car for a test drive and never returns. It used to happen a lot. This is just the internet version of the same game with a different script. I'm still in awe at the people who even consider crap like this valid.

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

We are not the Ebay/Craigslist Police...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.