Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kennedy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Does anyone know if an early hemi is any good? I've heard that they give alot of propblems. Anybody used one before?

2. An awesome Hot Rod motor for my money, just not cheap to deal with like the bellybuttons. This is the '54 331 in my 5-window Deuce.

JW

Attached Files:

3. George

George

We can't give an intellegent reply till you tell us what hemi. There were Chrysler, Dodge & Desoto Hemis. There were variations for cars,boats,trucks & industrial applications. There should be a casting# between the passenger head & the valley cover near the back,& a code stamped into a flat in front of valley cover on left. Most hemis are usable,but expensive.

4. I'm running a rebuilt 354 Industrial in my 31 Pontiac. It's a great engine but be ready to spend a bunch more $$$ than you would with something like a SBC.

5. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

They don't like low oil pressure... [​IMG]

6. I've put over 200,000 miles on my hemi in 40+ years.

354 (one eighth overbored 331) with 12.5:1 pistons, 0'050" head gaskets so the compression's in the 11:1 range.

Roller cam, 4 speed, aluminum flywheel. 4 Stromberg 97s.

I rebuild it every 70,000 miles or so.

Attached Files:

robbins likes this.
  7. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

The motor is in a 51-52 Desoto. thats about all i know as of right now. I've heard they are not real reliable.

8. Bugman

Bugman

A motor's reliability is directly related to the person building, or rebuilding it. Same concept applys to all motors.

-Jeff

9. 4gotn1

4gotn1

That early of a one probably is an extended block that has part of the bellhousing cast into the block. They are harder to get adapters for than the later blocks. I think 53 or 54 is when they switched.

10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Tex Smith's book says DeSoto and Dodge never used the extended bellhousing. But the book has a few errors that I've caught, so who knows.

11. Scotch

Scotch

Lots of info at webrodder.com- Ask the Boss there (Doc Frohmader) about your particular block- He'll be able to share plenty...

Scotch~!

12. George

George

If it's the original engine in a 52 Desoto it would be a 276 2bl. Desotos are the most expensive to build & fewest performance parts,but I've seen them w/ the super rare dual quad being used.

13. Kirby,

This early Desoto Hemi sounds like something you might buy and sell to some wannabe "rat rodder". Take the profit and build a 283.

JH

14. plmczy

plmczy

My buddy just purchased a Desoto 276 off E-bay. This motor has a aluminum adapter between the block and transmission.

Wasn't someone here recasting a aluminum manifold for a desoto hemi? later plmczy

15. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

Hot heads is going to cast a 4 carb Desoto soon. I am running a Desoto 276 in my 50 Lincoln and it has the best sound!

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

They should be casting 3x2's instead...

17. hemicoupe32

hemicoupe32

I got a 1957 392 with dual quad's in my 32 ford coupe. Ton's of power and never skip's a beat

18. hemicoupe32

hemicoupe32

Go down to the marine, plenty of GM small blocks there. They use them for boat morings

19. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I am rebuilding a 291 DeSoto that will run 4 Strombergs with 10 :1 compression...yes getting very expensive, several thousand dollars and still not at the machinist. Downfall is that there are not alot of speed equipment available and chances are you will have to use your cam for a regrind. Unless you just happen to find a NOS cam somewhere. Vintage Speed is repopping DeSoto intakes from a NOS Wieand 4 duece untake. $590 bucks I believe. Everyone has a rebuilt punked out SBC but not everyone has a punked out HEMI !

20. panic

panic

Anybody used one before

Yes, every single premium-line Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge until they figured out it was too expensive, and replaced it with something inferior but cheaper.

I don't think I'd be asking that person for any advice on engines.

21. Doug F.

Doug F.

That depends what you mean by "any good". If you mean on a scale of "street performance per dollar", then no, most later modern v-8's will deliver more performance for less money. If you mean on a scale of "street wow factor" then there is nothing better.

I have had both a 354 and 392. I had no problems at all.

22. Doug F.

Doug F.

I've heard a lot of people say Toyota's are reliable... Back in the 60's, people said a car was "reliable" when they couldn't think of anything good to say about it. As best I can tell, nearly all cars have been "reliable" for many, many years. It was, and is I think, sort of sad when that is the best that one can say about a car.

23. 33 ply 440

33 ply 440
    from mn

There as good as builds them , a friend of mine out ran the cops with one 30+years ago with one , just sold it and it run , I would have put it in an drove it , still would , gotta love old iron , the old flatty's another sweet engine !!!

24. storm king

storm king

Hey, if you don't want it and the price is right I'll come get it.

25. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

So it's most likely about 55 years old... and it still exists today.
    If that don't answer your question about reliability I dont know what will... ;)

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I believe late 53 is when they switched to the non-bell block. I have an original 54 331 and it is still strong at 53 years old. If they are rebuilt correct they should last a long time. My preference is a 354 Chrysler hemi, as these were a "conservative bore and stroke, yet can be upgraded without sacrificing strength. I also like the Chrysler hemi's with the dual rocker shafts. Dodge and Desoto have single rocker shafts.

27. The Chrysler 331 had a short bell through '54.

Plenty of guys drove Chrysler, Dodge and DeSoto Hemis 75,000-100,000 miles when they were new; if that's not reliable enough for you, buy a new Chrysler with a lifetime powertain warranty.

28. panic

panic

All hemis have dual rocker shafts.
    Poly = same engine with single rocker shaft.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are they any good? Hmmmm....

Guys like 'em alot around here. So much in fact, we've been workin' on a Tech section just for Early Hemis. If you find you want to go that direction there's TONS of info here. There's a link to that info in my signature line. :D