Register now to get rid of these ads!

why am I not charging??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GrantH, Nov 18, 2007.

1. GrantH

GrantH

A little out of the year range here, so we will make it general. I have a 1g alt, stock ignition switch has a wire running from it, to a splice into a wire that runs from the instrument panel to the I post on the voltage regulator.

Was told to hook up the exciter wire in the kit I have, in place of this. The truck cranks, but does NOT charge. I think this wire originally was a resistive wire, but i'm not exactly sure. All the diagrams show a "dummy light" in line with this wire, but I don't have one anymore, and don't believe I did in the beginning as I have full gauges, not just lights.

Is it safe to run without a light, and just run a wire straight from the switch to the regulator?

**edit**
    Okay, I wired that wire up directly from the switch to the regulator and still didnt see 13.5...I had the alt tested, battery tested, and all cables are new grounding and power wise, as is the wiring harness.

2. the 1 wire alts have only 1 wire going to the battery lug on the back to the battery. nothing to the old regulator hole (should be capped off).

3. GrantH

GrantH

its not a one wire...its got field stator ground and power posts on it, its a 1g alt, mid 60-70 ford.

4. oldfordcoupe

oldfordcoupe

you need a 500 ohms resistor from the wire from the dash to that wire on the alternator or a light , just like a idiot light on the dash

5. You could also replace the resistance wire with a standard light bulb(1156) for testing temporarily. If that works than it is the resistor wire to the exciter circuit.

6. GrantH

GrantH

okay so it will not work at all without the resistor? Is thats what you guys are saying?

7. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Yes it will work check that TFFN link if not PM me via my email I'll send a page for wiring a street for dummies...John
    [email protected]

John

8. GrantH

GrantH

if it will work without the resistor, why is it still not charging? its got a good ground, power where it need to be, and everything is connected properly.
    I
    f I am supposed to use the stock resistor wire from the ignition switch, what good is the exciter wire? or visa versa if i dont use the switch wire, and can use the exciter wire. why would it even be there?

emailing you now as well.

9. GrantH

GrantH

bumping this as i need this done today if possible. i was sent a couple diagrams and it shows exactly what i have. only difference is that battery power to the alt is from the battery side of the solenoid, and I get it from a wire called "alternator power" coming from the fuse box.

10. Have you tried bypassing the "alternator power" wire with a wire to the battery-side of the solenoid? Also, is the car running an ammeter or voltmeter or none?

11. GrantH

GrantH

none for now, may run a voltmeter once I start on smoothing the dash. I have not tried that yet, but I am about to.

battery to alt power wire, nothing. no go. get power, but no charge. lovely.

12. Let us know where that gets you.

13. GrantH

GrantH

just so im on the right page, it SHOULD be at 12.5 or around there OFF, and 13.5+ running correct?

14. GrantH

GrantH

edited my post while you were posting, it was a no go.

15. How many wire connections total on your alt? And where are you testing your voltage?

16. GrantH

GrantH

alright, let me list em out and make sure im getting them all

on the alt:
    1) battery pos.
    2)stator
    3)field
    4) ground

On regulator:
    F
    S
    A
    I

(that order, top to bottom)

im checking voltage at
    battery pos and neg
    alt pos post and batt neg
    alt post on reg and batt neg
    alt exciter and batt neg
    ignition resistance wire and batt neg

all read withing .02 of each other.

17. GrantH

GrantH

right, its wired exactly like that, minus the resistor/light. does the resistor/light really do that much??

18. GrantH

GrantH

bump for the morning readers.

19. GrantH

GrantH

im still not charging guys, any more opinions? is there anyway the alt would pass a test at autozone, and still be a shitty alternator once on the motor?

what about the voltage regulator, is there a way to test it? and for this damn ignition wire with the dummy light, do I really need the dummy light or resistor? Is the resistor just a small piece like the tiny ones at radio shack?

20. rab71

rab71

I was in your situation. YES the resistor does that much. It needs to have resistance of some sort to charge, I ran mine through an AMP gauge, and now it charges perfectly.;)

21. GrantH

GrantH

maybe that's my problem then, the resistor. I wonder if they have an ammeter to match the gauges I have now. Will look into it. Thanks a lot.

edit: will something like autozone have the risistor or an idiot light to wire in line, and hide if I can't find the gauge?

22. GrantH

GrantH

alright, heres the latest folks! I traced back what I thought was my purple/violet wire and found a resistor, it read around 6-750 with an unsteady hand. I wired inline with the wire from the ignition and my battery jumps to ~18 volts, but scattered, not steady.

I'm thinking a bad voltage regulator? Something else possibly?

23. rab71

rab71

Could be... If you have an extra I'd swap it out but a new one is like $15....

24. ground_pounder

ground_pounder

i had a similiar problem wiring up my 55 using all the old 78 pickup parts i had when wiring the truck, i went through a few of them regulators before i got it right and they are rather cheap at napa. i have a few basic diagrams here too. another thing to think about is the flex capacitor, make sure your speedometor is accurate so you know your reaching 88mph.....haha, just pokin fun hopin to lighten teh day, these problems are head banging on a hood kinda fun. good news is it sounds like your alternator is working, since running that jumper wire put it in full on mode eliminating what the regulator does. just dont leave that wire hooked up, bound to fry something and will give you a nasty power draw. so definitely i would be plugging in a new regulator.

25. damnfingers

damnfingers

Way to go Grant...looks like you're going to conquer it after all...