Register now to get rid of these ads!

texas title laws

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dudes! if you buy a car with a texas title 1960 and older and wan't to transfer it within the state of texas can it be transfered without proof of insurance or state safety inspection. don't wan't tabs just transfer ownership of vehicle. tried to look it up and my search results weren't clear. thanks.:D

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I asked them the same question last year about this time and was told the vehicle HAS to have insurance on it to get a title. I called them, maybe in person the answer is different. I hate the damn DMV. The answer you need almost depends on who you ask, what day it is and if they are in a good mood.

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You do not have to have insurance to do a title transfer only. You only have to have it insured if you register it. Just tell them you want to do a title transfer only. Now if the vehicle still has current registration you will have to have insurance or surrender the tags/sticker.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for setting us both straight. My T Bucket is nearing completion and it would be nice to get the title as soon as I can, but is it different when applying for a title when the vehicle has never had one?

5. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I've never had any issues one time I just showed them the insurance to another car I had and they said it was good enough.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Cant help ya on that one. You might be able to get an answer straight from the Tx DOT here: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/contact_us/

7. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

You do not have to have insurance to title transfer. If you register later on as an antique it does not have to have inspection either. I just did it on 2 cars. TP

8. jj mack

jj mack

I transfered a title with no insurance. You do have to insurance to register the tags.

9. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I'm counting on that Antique Plate thing. I've got an original '59 Texas Truck plate set in mint condition that I'm going to use. No way this thing will ever pass inspection though. First off, no seat belts.

10. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

I have a 32 tx. title in my name, i just walked in and they transfered to my name, was easy.

11. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

It doesn't have to have seat belts since it is a '59. Nor does it have to have an e-brake.

Now if you install seatbelts, then you have to USE them if you drive it.

12. thanks guys! if i'm not mistaken seatbelts were not required by the federal goverment until 1964. the only car that i remember having them before 64' was a "TUCKER" and that was 1950!

13. 36tbird

36tbird

don't know where you live, but here in San Antone, I try to deal as little as possible with the DMV. Find one of the commercial title places to deal with. Schmooze by going in first and say, "I'm gonna run over to Stars by Buck for some coffee and come back to talk to you gals, who wants what?". When you come back in with everyone's order, I'm betting you can get anything you want, (did I say ANYTHING?!) transferred. They know how to tickle the keys on the computers, if you know what I mean. Good luck.