Register now to get rid of these ads!

The first rollout **pics**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baumi, May 10, 2004.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today was a great day!! It was the first day for my 56 to hit the road after 9 months of work! I rebuilt the 327 and the tranny,made a new exhaust system, installed a 62 chevy rear suspension , an airride system , oil coolers and fabbed some frame crossmembers.

I´m so happy everything has worked out fine , although there were several setbacks during the build.
    The only mistake that showed up was that the headers will touch the ground if I deflate the front bags under 20 Psi.

Now it´s time to shave the door handles and get some skinny whites + five spokes [​IMG].Golden scallops with red outlines would be nice ,too.
    Let´s see, the next winter comes for sure!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hatch

hatch
    from house

FANTASTIC!!!!...I can't imagine how much fun that would be in Germany...gotta be a great feeling...have a blast!!!

3. man, I am glad I checked this out real nice 56.. looks like you ready to roll.. have fun!!

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Baumi,
    You have a really SWEET '56 4-sure!
    Congradulations on the BIRTH of your new ride!
    Glenn

5. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

That is a really pretty car.. and in Germany no less... Kudos to you! That kicks ass.

6. Please, please, please don't put scallops on it!

You have a two tone paint job that kicks ass... LEAVE IT ALONE!

I'd also opt for some chrome reverse'd wheels with wide whites... or some original five spokes with black wall radials... and call it DONE!!

Anyway, nice car!
    Sam.

7. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Nice ride , I have a 2 door post Belair as well. No paint yet though. Nice work my friend.

8. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I have to agree 110% with Sam. Aside from the wheels I am in love with that car.

9. Leave the paint alone!!! Hell, leave everything but the wheels....love it!

10. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

.......BEAUTIFUL!!!! [​IMG]

11. Looking good Baumi! [​IMG]
    Max

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I also agree with that asshole Sam, no scallops, it'll just muck up the lines. Looks good mang.

13. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I like it - nice and low...
    If you did scallops like this it might be cool - flow with the lines of the car..

Attached Files:

14. TINGLER

TINGLER

[ QUOTE ]
    I also agree with that asshole Sam, no scallops, it'll just muck up the lines. Looks good mang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, my thoughts exactly. In this case Sam knows exactly what he is talking about. That car RULES just the way it is! (with some different wheels...but thats no big deal) You should be very proud! Excellent. [​IMG]

15. Scrub

Scrub

Very cool car. I agree, no scallops... definitely new wheels/tires but nothing else!

BUT...what really caught my eye was the extremely cool modern house behind the car. I go nuts over little details like the wire window guard things and the cleanline vertical wooden cladding. Very tasty!

16. I like it a lot man, dont see enough Pinecrest/Sherwood green cars anywhere...
    Greg

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the compliments, and Joe, thanks for photoshopping! I´m always open for hints !

I really dig the idea with the reversed chrome steelies and wide whites!! I´ll follow your recommendations and won´t do scallops, you guys have definitely more experience judging the lines of a car.

as far as the house: I took the pics in the back yard. I had to laugh when I read the word " modern". The house was first sold in 1672. My Granpa found a contract of sale from that year when he bought that house in 1936. Of course it has been redone and improved a several times from then on( and still is).The wire window guards are made of simple steel tubing and were not that expensive, about $45 for two of them.They were made by a local blacksmith

18. Scrub

Scrub

I don't think that "modern" has to mean the actual house was built in a recent time period. Just the fit, finish, style, and problem solving details put into it either keep it in its original context or bring it into the modern world with features that look towards the future. Simplicity of form and problem solving (as in how you used simple metal bars as gaurds instead of gaudy, frilly iron work in, say, a tacky faux oxidized green or whatever) and the natural beauty of complementary lines and the honesty of materials (which I would see as the absensce of "kitch-y old home" type junk) make it modern in my eyes.

Much like a timeless hot rod or customs,eh? Stay away from kitch-y add-ons or dated styles, and it will always remain timeless. I think you can make a modern rod/custom and still stay away from a "contemporary" rod/custom. "Modern" to me is a timeless style that will always looks towards the future no matter what time frame you're in..."contemporary" on the other hand is automatically dated and kitch-y.

Enough of that though....good lookin stuff you got there!

19. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Very, Very nice. Great job..

B [​IMG] B

20. Never understood why so many old cars were painted two tone green. Now I know, looks good man.

Geno

21. mikes51

mikes51

[ QUOTE ]
    Simplicity of form and problem solving (as in how you used simple metal bars as gaurds instead of gaudy, frilly iron work in, say, a tacky faux oxidized green or whatever) and the natural beauty of complementary lines and the honesty of materials (which I would see as the absensce of "kitch-y old home" type junk) make it modern in my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The German Bauhaus style of design is practically bible in most Industrial Design schools. You've described that design philosophy very well.

Bauhaus Site

22. Scrub

Scrub

Yep, exactly. Walter Gropius was the man. "A Rebel With a Cause"....haha.

To me design is design, whether it's houses, cars, or toilet paper dispensers...I like to look at everything.

23. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Awesome,,,i love the kolor combo too...Its really a slick ride!..

Dirty

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Looks great Baumi. Keep the color combo with no scallops.
    But ditch the wheels and get yourself a period styled wheel setup.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Nice to see a '56 all done up and rearing to go. Beautiful car.

Frank

26. deuceV8

deuceV8

Killer car makes me want to work on my ol 55.

27. 30roadster

30roadster

thats a beautiful car!

28. Lookin good man. Those five spokes and skinny whites would put it over the edge.

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all of you!!
    I promise you, the next thing that´ll be changed on the car are the wheels!! [​IMG]
    My freshly rebuilt 327 seems to be quite healthy:I drove the 56 to work this morning to get my ignition and carb adjusted properly during the lunch break. Driving to the garage I had to stop a red light. When I drove on when the lights turned green I broke the rear axle gears...I´didn´t smoke´em, ok, I didn´t smoke them hard, only revved up to about 2500 rpm(at not even half throttle) since the engine has only about 20 miles on it. Doing this I blew my 3.36 gears out...hmm. Now I wonder why?
    [​IMG]
    My buddy at the shop adjusted timing and carb while I was changing the pumpkin.That´s what I call team work! [​IMG] I was back on the road in about an hour...It really drives great!
    It´s a pleasure to see that the time I spent on the car wasn´t wasted.
    I´d like to rebuild my rear axle now, anyone knows where I can get parts for a chevy 10 bolt rear? I need the small differential gears( sorry, don´t know the correct word) and some other stuff.