Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey you New York guys.. dumb question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Anyone buy a car at an auction - live auction, silent bid, pretty much anything non-ebay - and get charged sales tax on it?

Just won a non eBay online silent auction for another hauler truck, and they want to charge me the sales tax. But in NY when you register the car you give them the reciept and pay the sales tax then - it's New York's little gimmick to collect tax every time a car is sold to be registered and driven on the road. Not really interested in paying twice for the same thing...

The last auction I was at that sold cars, I didn't see any buyers check out to see if they got nailed.

2. damdog

damdog

where abouts in NYS are you? I grew up in Utica, used to have to pay the sales tax on the PA cars I would buy and bring home...

Dog

3. jetmek

jetmek

i would think that if you produced a reciept showing sales tax was paid they couldnt nail you again for it....

4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Here in Kansas, they get you when you register it for tags (whether you paid tax when you bought it, or not).

5. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

If it came from a licensed used or new auto seller, they will charge you tax. When you go to register it, show you paid it on receipt and you won't be charged again... when you buy from private party or non licensed reseller they will not collect the tax and you pay at your dmv... Jason.

6. used to be nice to dodge the fucking tax on e-bay but most states are starting to police e-bay for sales tax which is bullshit. all that does is make someone better at cheating on taxes.

7. Not sure I made this clear but I did *not* buy this on eBay.

I bought it from a town municipality via a company that auctions all kinds of things, they do live auctions with an auctioneer, and silent auctions through their website. It's set up the same as the live auction I went to a month or two back - you pay them at the end and you pay a 10% commission. But the invoice they sent me also has a charge for sales tax. Now if it was just an engine/car parts, or a surplus desk or computer or something, okay, there's tax, but I don't see where these folks are licensed as motor vehicle dealers to collect tax on them.

8. Brian C

Brian C

I believe if the place you bought it from has a selling location in the state then they would collect the sales tax. If they do then the DMV should be satisfied with that tax payment on the receipt.

If you're buying it from a private seller or from out of state then the DMV is gonna bang you for sales tax on whatever is on the bill of sale.

And we always put the real price on the bill of sale....:rolleyes:

9. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Rusty NY
    I buy from police & town auctions here on long island all the time, and I pay sales tax to them (ie the police garage) and they give me paper work showing i paid the tax and when i go to DMV they they dont charge tax all i do is show 'em that paper. Hope that helps ya
    FRITZ

10. I knew I'd get an answer here sooner or later - thanks Fritz -