Register now to get rid of these ads!

slightly OT: Who makes a real small power steer pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950ChevySuburban, Nov 14, 2007.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My wife drove the '50 Suburban Sunday for the first time. I've been driving it for a couple of months now. Her arthritis won't let her enjoy the car with all the steering effort, so I need to add power steering to it. Problem is, minimal engine clearances.

Any ideas for a small pump body? I can make brackets, etc... so mounts are no problem. With or without a reservoir is fine too.
    Front end is a Dakota kit from ElPolacko's Industrial Chassis, with a manual rack.

Money's no issue here, I'd even consider an electric rack like on my HHR, but not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance!
    John

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

does it still have the generator?? you could go with the GM factory power steering pump off the back of the genny??

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

How abut a Saginaw pump from something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee? Pretty small and has a remote reservoir.

Or you could look at the KRC pumps which are similar.[​IMG]

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Like he said...or use one from a circle track supplier like Performance Bodies...small pumps with simple mounting brackets and remote reservoirs.

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Child labor in China or Korea?

:D

I crack myself up sometimes...

6. The small Saginaw pumps on common GM vehicles. If I remember right Cavalier-type platform has one style. There are several variations. I think now they even make one with the resivor mounted to it. Street and Performance is a good research tool. Not my favorite place however. I have used the Alan Grove brackets and he gives you a pump number. I seem to remember you have to buy a March pulley to work with his bracket however.

7. lolife

lolife

I think the Toyota MR2 has an electric one. Put it anywhere you want, eh...

8. wayfarer

wayfarer

I think they make an electric power steering unit that goes on your steering column between the column and the box.

9. wayfarer

wayfarer

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I don't have the generator, I used a Toyota smallternator from a Camry. With the intake and air box, there's not much room in there.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That looks promising. Hopefully they'll have a vendor booth at Goodguys Scottsdale this weekend.
    hmmmmmmmm show special pricing.... :rolleyes:

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I forgot about the circle track guys. I think Speedway deals in those as well. I'll have to check.
    I have a new Saginaw mini pump on the shelf, but it looks strange and still may be in the way of the oil filter. (Chevy 250 six)

13. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

14. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Canton Racing Products had some nice stuff too... CV Products might have a mount to work...

15. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

16. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

good ol volkswagon works well

17. jonny o

jonny o

I know it's not what you asked for, but one of the circle-track quickeners backwards did the trick in a power to manual conversion I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. i used to work at a remanufacturing facility years ago and ps. pump teardown was part of my job couple hundred a day. the can(resovoir) is easily modified as all they use is a large o-ring to seal it. i used to modify them to fit big block 66'-67' chevelles because they used remote fill resovoirs that mounted on the core support/fender as their was zero room to mount standard pump on engine. check it out.

19. BinderRod

BinderRod

I have a new power steering pump for a Jeep Cherokee complete with pulley and a remote tank. I was going to use this and changed directions. The pump cost me 80.00.

PM me and I will make you a hell of a deal

20. Larry T

Larry T

21. rusty48

rusty48

That sounds like what I need! Where could I find out more about this?:confused:

22. LIMEY

LIMEY

Fiat Punto uses something of that nature & all the small French cars with power steering use a remote electric pump.

Kev.

23. wayfarer

wayfarer