Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attaching upholstery to steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE, Nov 12, 2007.

1. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

I have a 30 model a tudor and I might replace the interior wood with one inch 18 gauge square tubing. How would you attach the upholstery to steel? It may not be in the budget now, but sometime in the future it may. Are upholstery shops going to run from this job?

2. skipstitch

skipstitch

You'll be fine.... Most will use upholstery clips... think door panel clip. Velcro or glue.... I also find cursing works in a pinch :) You're not creating a problem. Just be sure nothing sticks out further than the original wood did. That way your upholstery shop wont have to build funky panels to cover lumps and bumps in your steel. Hope that helps, Stitch

3. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

no they should'nt run from your job. all they need to do is use plastic clips & glue & screws

4. Brandi

Brandi

You'll be fine. The only thing that could be an issue is on the headliner, generally they staple them to the wood (since it is cheaper.) But, your upholsterer could build a one piece headliner and have it held by door panel clips. It's just more $ that way.

5. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

Wood kits are about six hundred. I can pick up the steel locally for less than two hundred. I think steel would be stronger anyways.

Thanks Bill Hughes