Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblock292, Nov 9, 2007.

1. From a confessed magazine Junkie.........I thumbed through it on the Newstand yesterday and left it. Didnt even bother to look at the price, if I did, I would have felt violated for even looking at it. TRJ for $15, HRD for 1/2 that with 10% of the substance........................sorry Dave, I see why you jumped ship.

2. kgjevre

kgjevre

Here you go...

Attached Files:

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

about $3 too high for the page count... and no event coverage??

4. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Looked at the local wal-mart, didn't see it. I'll have to check the bookstores tomorrow. I like that cover!

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

As Evert would say... "it's a geographical oddity"...

6. I agree with you from the economic standpoint Trent but I couldn't leave it on the stand, in fact I bought two copies:eek: so I guess I'm the bigger mag junkie. Just had to stick it with the first two and save one for a future trade. Wonder if there'll be a 4th? I'm a sucker for the historical photos and the outakes from old feature shoots. David's new deal looks pretty cool though.

7. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

i found it at a walgreens. price is kinda high, not sure if id buy it again.

8. Actually Larry I have kinda given up on most all print material after losing a bunch in the flood. (TRJ, every Rod Action printed etc).

9. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I bought it and was pleased with the content. I also have the first two issues. $7 is what it is. I thought the content was very good, and as far as page count. More pages, do not a quality product make.

The little raodster is sweet, A good freind of mine was just asking about an M Farmall tank in my back yard. Looks like someone beat us to that idea. lol

I'll give it a chance to grow and reserve final judgement for volume #2

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

5, six or 7 bux ... , I don`t care one bit .. Can you guys get that issue shipped over here ... Like NOW .. ?
    BTW .. Spring `08 ?? .....is Xmas `07 cancelled ? :(
    Klaz

11. bcarlson

bcarlson

Amen, I'll support the cause! But I don't want to be raped while doing so. I picked up a copy because I have alot of respect for David, and am willing to try something new, even if it costs a few bucks more.

As for skipping lunch? I'd gladly skip lunch for TRJ, however I wouldn't skip a piece of gum for some of the magazines that are out there! :)

Ben

12. Whoa:(

But the operative word there is kinda:D

13. greendream

greendream

I saw it yesterday. I flipped through it, and didn't think there was alot to the mag. The price seemed high too. I think it was 6.99.

14. Steve 38

Steve 38

Man, you guys have got it so good you don't realise how good you've got it! $7.00 for a mag! The US mags here in NZ, after freight, exchange rate, and whatever other crap they can slap on top, you're looking at around NZ$15.00. Thats nearly US$11.00! I buy each issue of Rod and Custom, Trad Rod and Kulture, Rolls and Pleats, etc, and they're all NZ$15.00. Not cheap, thats for sure, but for something that I'll keep probably forever, I can't complain. Some of the other US mags are pushing NZ$20.00 (US#14.00).

15. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I went out and checked every place I know that sells magazines in my area of Atlanta and couldn't find it! If anybody in Atlanta finds a copy let me know. Of course they had that stupid Rebel Rodz magazine though.

16. stinsonart

stinsonart

Found it at a Kroger...fairly disappointed in it. I guess there are just too many such publications like it around for me to get too enthused about HRD. Same with CK DeLuxe, that new Rebel Rodz, as well as a few little books like Wizzz and Hot Rods Illustrated. Kinda Blah Blah Blah.

I think you folks are correct. A decent run-of-the-mill $4.00 mag. I won't lose any sleep if I don't buy it anymore.

17. 55olds88

55olds88

Hey Steve,
    Talk to me there are heaps more you could be getting :) and that whatever other crap they put on is, at least in my case the risk of purchasing wholesale outright rather then sale or return like the big guys (oh and a 440ml premix burbon once a year). ;)
    Seriously I can get em to your door for a little less. PM me.

18. I think that's the old cover,from the first attempt.Everyone that's upset at the price,that'll be $10 up here,Rodders Journal is over $20.And the excuse can't be the $ differance anymore,ours is worth $1.10 US now. i'll give it a chance,but newstand only.

19. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

my name is in there in skratchs spread!!wooohhoooooo!!!not that cool though..........mag is O.K. i like it

20. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Picked mine up today... very good mag...

21. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Even if that's not the cover, I'm still looking for it!

22. kgjevre

kgjevre

I attached a scan of the new cover (Spring 2008) in post #32

Post #27 is an old cover (looks like Number 2).

23. i'll support the cause ..Skratch[/QUOTE]

Well yeah....your works on the cover ;)

24. zombie

zombie

the price difference isnt from the exchange. it cost more money in duties and shipping.

zombie

25. Spike!

Spike!

Heh Heh Heh...Zombie said Duties..heh heh..

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I bought it, I love the previously unpublished two page picture from 1959. I was born in the wrong era.

27. Got mine last night after looking for it at several places. I was excited to here it was returning to print. I have the original 2 issues and subscribed to the mag after it changed names. I don't feel like it was ground breaking like the original, but I will give it a chance.

28. So i went out yesterday and bought one at my local 7-11.First off,$7.00 for a car magazine is a little high.Since i live in California,i'm use to the high cost of everything else,so why not magazines too.The quality of the photos are pretty good,as is the format.I loved the old shots(Oakland shot was rad)and the artsy shots in the first couple pages.The lack of tattoo's and skanky chicks is refreshing,since most of the other mags lately thinks thats all we want to see.(Dayna,no skank:D )My only gripe is the story behind each feature.The Skratch article was o.k. since i saw the T.V. episode with the build anyway(awesome work by the way).I was happy to finally see some coverage on one of my favorite local cars,the Alviso Roadster,but the text for that article left me wanting more.Other than that,i will be buying the next few as they come out.That is unless they go the same route as last time......

29. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

just picked up a copy and was happy to find a bunch of pictures of a Roadster that I was going to spend time searching for tonight.

Plus really nice pix of Dayna Delux & Melinda... oh - and Skratch.

30. Brandi

Brandi

I loved the flathead coverage. But agree that it could stand to be a bit thicker. Especially as a quarterly mag.