Register now to get rid of these ads!

Here is the 2nd cadillac update with fenders painted and mounted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54Caddy, Nov 10, 2007.

1. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Here they are. I used the same stuff i used on the top 3 coats of etching primer and then 3 coats of trim black. They look awsome. My caddy is finally lookin like something. There was on tragic thing though. We were painting them on hourses and one of the hourses moved and the fenders fell. One was good when it fell. And the other one fliped and scratched the fuck out of the bottom but a little water sandin and they were good to go. Let me know what you guys think
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

3. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

I also tore out the dash. The fenders still need to be bolted down from the bottom that is why they still stick out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

5. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

lookin real good. keap it up.

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

what is the point of taking all the trim off then painting over the rubber hood bumpers in the fender jambs?

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I just gotta tell you!
    Why are you putting bond over paint? That is a real no-no.
    Grind off ALL the paint in the area you are putting filler, apply filler, sand smooth, feather out the paint edges ouside the bondo area, and then primer.
    Bondo is NOT made to go over existing paint. Bare metal, or spoxy primer ONLY!
    You went so far, why not completely strip off ALL the old paint?

8. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

just get one of those crispy wheels and take that paint off before you put bodyfiller on...

9. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

I did strip the spots where we applied bondo. Y u guys hatin 4. Damn haters these days and they are not staying this color so when paint them the real color i will take of the bumpers and get some new ones. N look i am only 16, I post these updates to let u guys know how it is going. Man this is the first time i have had people piss me off on here. I will do my shit my way n u do it urs. Its my first build so i will learn on my own mistakes ok.

10. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

Bcuz do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. They are just giving you advice on how to do it the right way and save you headaches later.
    Whatever you do it "ur way".

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

why would it piss you off that people are trying to tell you the proper way to apply bondo??..clearly there is bondo over paint,,you may have stripped under the bondo, but where it is feathered in, it is over paint,,,
    everyone can learn from their mistakes, but why not learn from someone elses mistakes if possible?
    nobody is saying the work sucks or anything,,they are just trying to save you from having to redo it later when it peels,,,if i were you, id be happy that experienced guys were willing to offer their advice,,,

12. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

You really do need to go back and fix the paint, pull out the bumpers, and maybe if you can, seal up your "paint booth" a little more. You're gonna find some nice dust in the paint when your done that will look nice with the peeling paint. I'm only 18, and havn't even started my car yet, because i want to make sure i get all my ideas straight and most of the problems worked out before i get into it. And i know for a fact i don't want to skimp and do a shitty job on things like the paint or interior. The paint is one of the first things people look at on a car, and if it looks like shit they keep walking and don't worry about the rest of it. DON'T YOU WANT YOUR FIRST CAR TO BE A NICE ONE? for what it's worth.

Bobby

13. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

54...Hey your spelling has improved;), soon your wrench-turning will too.
    Learn by living that's fine, but listen to Kustom 777. These guys don't have to respond at all, just like you don't have to post anything. Then where would we be. I don't think any of these guys get their kicks out of making a 16yr old feel stupid... I think they honestly want to see you finish the Cadillac looking its best. Enjoy this hobby & relish the time you spend with your Grandpa. You'll have many opportunities to be pissed later, and you should only act like you know it all when you know at least half. There's a lot of people looking out for you your probably not even aware of.

P.S. next time Hold your Horses! (saw horses)

14. downunder55

downunder55
    from australia

hey 54 its going to look real cool, but hey im 47 and still learning from these guys , so look, listen, and learne, do it once , do it right, but most important , enjoy, there is still many years ahead to get pissed trust me , your taking on more than most 16 year olds could dream of , youll do fine ...

15. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Alright damn guys. Yeah the bondo is lightly over the paint but if you see them closer you would see that where it is over i water sanded it down very good. And anyways about the booth i would close it up but dont have enough tarp and its not like the fenders are staying this color. The trim black is like a primer next year i just have to water sand everything down and paint the color i want over them. My local paint shop told me trim black is just like primer. But alright you are right trashed and hammered they dont have to and that was a good one about the horses. But alright sorry guys i guess you guys can help me, but its just that some people have different ways of doing things. But i will take of the bumpers when i paint the fenders again.

16. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

But trashed and hammered have you posted in my other threads before or what because i can't remember you. And then i look at your little section with your name and it says you are in Exeter which is like 15 minutes away from me.??????

17. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

nobody was hating, if you get pissed off when people give you advice...you're going to be an angry old man in the future....

18. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

HAHAHA i know

19. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Hey 54Cad. 15 minutes to Exeter? Damn, why do dive so slow? are you afraid of the cops in Farmersville? ...I read your first postings and didn't feel the need to say anything. If you look at the main page that shows all the title to the threads you'll see there's a box that has the # of replies and the # of views.Right now there are probably 20 responses and 350 views....so 350 people have looked at some or all of your pictures. That's why I said before you have alot of people lookin' out for you. I don't like to write much cause I always get booted off the computer and have to sign in again.
    Anyway I live in L.A. and without saying too much my folks are in Exeter
    and so is my baby a 49/4dr Mercury. Its a slow moving 5 year plan. I went to School in Tulare and played with some vintage VWs so I feel where your
    coming from. Good luck on the Caddy I'll keep my eye open for parts, shows, and hook-ups on shops in the area, Give me a shout if you do the same.
    There aren't too many Hambers in the Central Valley but I've met a few.
    I'm glad you rescued that ride. ___the Trout

20. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Yup it is those cops in Farmersville. But bttt for more replies and views

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

22. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

23. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

24. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

bump it back to the top when you get some more progress!

get goin man:)

25. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

alright but that wont happen till some time next week i am going to do more body work and then paint the hood and trunk lid. When thats done all i have to do is water sand the doors and rear fenders and paint that then it is all one color. Hell yeah i cant wait till its one color.