Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 pontiac 3w coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Nov 5, 2007.

1. davesville

davesville

just purchased a 29 pontiac coupe in bits .not sure what i have bought .could be a 30 or 31 .it has a timber framed roof (slats)and timber rear corners .i figure it had a complete fabric roof .and i found two landau irons in the car.whats left is original and not played with .the drivers side rear guard has a step plate i wish i had photos. iwill have next week when i pick it up.i hope someone out there has some photos of a 29 pontiac coupe.i am :D exited just like a kid with his first bike:D :D

2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Shame on you!
    You saw it, bought it.... AND DON'T HAVE PICTURES FOR US???
    tsk tsk
    Glad for ya. I hope it's a fun build.

3. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

4. davesville

davesville

yes joe but the area around the rear window and roof is fabric covered and has landau irons on the side( exact body shape though)great pics this helps me a lot thanks joe

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Oh.. ok. It's the "Landau Coupe". Dah on me for not reading well. ;)Could be a few years then.
    I just did a quick search on the web.
    I'm sure someone here will have better pictures and info.
    Until then spend a little time on Google (or your favourite search engine.. I like www.dogpile.com it searches other search engines for you) and type '1929 Pontiac Landau coupe' or whatever year you think it might be.
    Good luck.

6. davesville

davesville

thanks joe im onto it

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

You're welcome.
    Best of luck.
    What plans do you have for it?Or is it too early?

8. davesville

davesville

joe vaguely remember an ol rodder telling me if you get a 29 chev get a blue flame motor and a truck bellhousing and four speed gearbox its a boltup operation hoping this is the case with the pontiac after all its gm product

9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hmmm. I'm not too sure about that one. He may have been right.
    I suggest that you post that as a new thread and I expect that someone will have the answer for you.
    This HAMB sure is an amazing resource of information.

10. 2boxers

2boxers

Very cool, I have a 33 pontiac 3 window that has been real tough to find parts for

11. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

pics... please!!! that sounds cool

12. davesville

davesville

finally found a picture of the same type of car in an old rodding mag(not on the web)have lots of rodding mags .took me two days of reading to find this.so what do i call it sport coupe .businesmans coupe landau coupe.i wonder what pontiac referred to it as or is it an aussie or canadian version

Attached Files:

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Congrats on finding the right picture!
    Not sure what the proper name is.
    I don't want to sound like a broken record but I'd create a new post with something like "Please help identify this Pontiac" as the title.
    You'd be sure to have the attention of the Pontiac people then.
    I'm not that familiar with them but how are they for amount of wood inside. The Chevs were mainly wood with a little metal glued, screwed and tattooed over it.
    Sharp looking car though.

14. davesville

davesville

joe .went there yesterday to pick up loose parts (the ones that fall off the tow truck)parts that i wasnt expecting to find i found .parts i were expecting to find i didnt . .so good and bad the body is not as good as i first thought .lots of timber in this one and exactly as you described as per chev .would have got pics yesterday but some people dont want you to take pics of the contents of there garage and i respect this.will have pics in a week when i pick it up

15. noboD

noboD

Davesville, I love the back window. DB and some others call this a sport coupe, but I don't know Pontiac. Does it have the little door for your golf clubs?

16. davesville

davesville

nobod it doesnt have a side door but it originally had a dickey seat (also missing)i also dont know pontiac

17. noboD

noboD

I'm afraid to ask, but what is a dickey seat? Drum roll, please.

18. davesville

davesville

bbrrrrrrrrrrrr thats what we call them over here.a seat for two that folds out from the boot sorry trunk

19. noboD

noboD

That's a rumble seat, Mate.

20. davesville

davesville

rumble seat .thats what it is been up bush too long whatever name it is called i am happy to find an original coupe of any marque

21. numskal

numskal

Based on my copy of 75 Years of Pontiac Oakland by John Gunnell my best guess is you have Pontiac Six Sport Cabriolet. The picture in the book shows a fabric covered roof (like a vinyl top) and landau bars. If you can find the body tag on the firewall does it say Job 8260? There was some overlap in the 28 and 29 models ("about 80,000 6-28 cars were built as 1929s"). The 29s had ten spoke artillery wheels with 29X5 tires originally. Another tip for ID: the early 6-29 cars (before April 1929) had horizontal louvers on the hood (which made the hood warp apparently) while the late 6-29 had 24 vertical louvers. My scanner doesn't work right now but I'll try to get up a picture later. Join the POCI then you'll be able to hook up with some experts on the early models (I have a 32 V-8 Custom sedan). Good luck!

22. davesville

davesville

picked it up today and also a1929 pontiac phaeton for parts which was a real bonus .my mate is a tow truck driver and was trying to show me how fast two 29 pontiacs could go(on a truck and trailer that is )the roof on the coupe collapsed .lost all the timber patterns for the rear window nearly lost the whole roof .so later after calming down thought i would take some pics .bloody cheap digital camera doesnt work time to have a beer(will have pics tomorrow or next day)

23. davesville

davesville

thanks for youre info numskal .the phaeton has 24 vertical bars in the hood .the coupe has 30 vertical bars and also one piston has been taken out of the coupe but this does not fit into the phaeton (motor is bigger in the coupe i think).have not had any luck on engine numbers on the net as yet but will post them if any hambers can help (canadian numbers i think)will try to post some pics now with this new camera hope this works dave

24. davesville

davesville

thanks for youre info numskal .the phaeton has 24 vertical bars in the hood .the coupe has 30 vertical bars and also one piston has been taken out of the coupe but this does not fit into the phaeton (motor is bigger in the coupe i think).have not had any luck on engine numbers on the net as yet but will post them if any hambers can help (canadian numbers i think)will try to post some pics now with this new camera hope this works dave

25. Serial numbers are supposed to be either on the right side of the rear crossmember or under the left front fender. Not sure if they're on a tag or stamped in the frame. Engine number is on the left side of the crankcase oe near the left front corner of the block.

The motor through the 1928 1/2 models has a 3 1/4" bore, while the 1929-1930 is 3 5/16", so assuming both have original motors, the phaeton is a 27 or 28, the coupe a 29 or 30. Looks like the 29 is the first to have a split grille with a chome center strip on the radiator shell, too.

In the 20s a lot of the automakers would introduce the new model year about mid-year, and sell last year's model as an intermediate before that. That includes Pontiac through 1930. So there is a 1928 1/2-1929, a true 1929, and a 1929 1/2-1930 model, those over a certain serial number were sold as the next year but had no changes at all.

If you find numbers and post them, I can compare to what's in this book, too.

26. A couple weeks ago, my buddy and I went up to North,central Nebraska to get this '29 sedan. He could use some body parts as this is all we came home with.

Attached Files:

27. davesville

davesville

pics finally worked it out (more to come)

Attached Files:

28. Those look great.
    Did the coupe get given the good old fashioned Aussie pickup conversion?

29. davesville

davesville

yes james but this one was a bit more delicate than others i have seen(rear quarter panels hacked off with a cold chisel)

30. davesville

davesville

more pics

Attached Files: