Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bummer! Mom's got 2 months left!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillyjoe, Nov 6, 2007.

1. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Well I haven't been on the HAMB much lately. Been dealing with my mom. One year ago she had a stroke. She recovered as perfectly as anyone could, no evidence of her ever having one. So this past June she came out to Seattle to visit the wife and I for the Summer. She met a bunch of friends, went to some car shows, went cruising in the Bel air with me and the wife. She loved it! She said it reminded her of when her and my Dad went cruising in his hotrods. Well she went back to Florida Sept 4th. Everyone was amazed on how great she looked and how well she recovered from the stroke. Well I get a phone call Sept 9th. Mom was taken to the hospital with pains in her rib area and trouble breathing. Gets scans and x-rays done. They find two fractured ribs and a mass on her lung the size of a softball. So the following week they do some more tests, biopsy and a bunch of other intrusive crap. The results, stage 4 lung cancer. It had spread all over the place. her back, shoulder, neck, adrienal gland, and her bones. They said that the tumor is inoperable, and she is in such an advanced stage that chemo won't do much. The Onocologist gives her less than 2 months. That was on October 23rd. So as useless as my siblings are, 3 miles from her. I flew down to Florida to see her. Mom and I came to the conclusion that she wanted to come back out to Seattle to stay with my wife and I. So we loaded up a rental mini van and made the trip back to Seattle. She has basically nothing so I have been taking a break fro mthe cars to help pay for her medical bills. She only has good old Medicare, and no savings. So I have been saving and using my expendable cash to pay her bills and her arraingements. I apologize to Mike "vintage ignition" for not getting him payment for my gauges he restored for me. I don't want to burn any bridges with anyone one the HAMB. this place is my second home. Well thanks for letting me rant. It helps me from breaking down.

2. Tony

Tony

Very sorry to read this..
    I've lost a good number in my family to cancer..very sad.
    Stay strong man..for your mom, your family and yourself.
    You are all in my thought's and prayer's..

Tony

3. GrantH

GrantH

I'd be willing to bet a fellow hamber could see your situation, knowing his payment will come. I hope your mother shows the doctors that they really shouldn't put a time limit on life, that's one thing I can't stand about doctors.

Good luck with everything, sorry to hear about the troubles, will keep you and your mother in my thoughts.

4. Hey buddy,,you and your mom are in our thoughts,,,,having been thru the lung cancer with my dad my father-in-law and mother-in-law I do know the pressure you are under.

Enjoy ever minute you have left with her,,,,we will be here when you get back to living your normal life again,,,HRP

5. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

prayers on the way...

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll be sending some prayers on her (and your) behalf. The Lord knows your situation, lean on Him in this time of need.

Frank

7. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

There are so many things you have written that I have experienced and know about.My siblings are nothing short of wonderful and I am so lucky to have them.I do not how you feel or what you are going through.I only know how much I love my family. My prayers go out to your mother and all who she loves.

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

im very sorry! prayers your way! keep the faith!

9. mr. dick

mr. dick
    from New York

I feel your pain, lost my dad to cancer last year, lost my mother last month to a massive heart attack. Here one minute gone the next. My
    prayer go out to you and your family.

Mr. Dick

10. SICBOY

SICBOY

It sucks to hear stuff like this, I wish you the best of luck, I think i would be a wreck if i was going threw something like this,

11. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

its good to get it out bro, otherwise youll explode. good luck to you, her and your whole family.

12. Ruiner

Ruiner

Best wishes to you and your family, bills can be paid over time, but what's most important is the time you have left together...enjoy those days and worry about the bad stuff later...

13. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Such sad news. Your all in my prayers.

spend time with her, ask about things you would like to know more about, and most of all keep her comfortable.

14. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Keep your chin up and be strong. Best wishes

15. swimeasy

swimeasy

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">You are a good man and son, hang tight my friend

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. Sorry to hear,cherish the great times you've just had cruising with her,and reminding her of earlier good times.

17. slamdpup

slamdpup

dude i wouldnt really listen to american doctors..they cant put a time on what the lord above has drawn out for us all..when its her time to go home with the lord he will take her at that time not when dr. jackoff says ...the most powerfull thing in the world is prayer..i should not be here now sitting at my computer ..i got shot in the head with a 44 hollow point from about 40 feet range and im still here..it just wasnt my time yet .thsnk god cause i wasnt ready to go at that time..i was put on a national prayer list through out the USA and im alive and doing 80%better from when it happened..tell your mom to have some fun and try not to think about but im gonna send up a prayer for her now ..good luck and have positive thoughts

p.s take her to a accupuntrist and chat with those folks about it...chinese medicine is incredable.....hey they have me up and moving my body parts, moving alot better than the amrican doctors and theripist did ..just a thought..but you can count on my prayer being sent up

18. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Dude, I can relate. Mom took care of Dad until he passed seven years ago. I now take care of Mom. She's 85 and I never know if today will be her next or her last. Just remember, you're not alone when you're here. Will say a prayer for your Mom and for you too.

Glenn

19. My thoughts are with you. I lost my Mom to cancer a little over 3 years ago at the age of 55. I still think about her every day. Cherish what little time you have left with her and let her know how much you love her and how much she means too you. Feel good in knowing you are making the time she has left as enjoyable as possible. Stay Strong and never let her memory die.

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You, your Mom and your family are in our prayers. You're all in the Hands of God.

21. Joe, I'd check into the billing for unpaid amounts after Medicare payments are made. Alot of hospitals bill for the balance, but legally, you have no responsibility to pay it. They can bill other supplemental insurances etc., but not the patient.
    When you get a bill posted as your moms responsibility after a medicare payment, call the hospital and ask why theyre billing AFTER a medicare payment. You'll see some of the bills go away.

Praying for your mom..................

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

really sorry to hear this, I too just went thru this with my grandpa, it was hard. and my grandma had died 2 weeks before him due to other complications. I wish you strength to deal with this and pray for your family...God bless
    Randy

23. chickncoupe

chickncoupe
    from michigan

Sorry to here about your mom . prayers oer on there way for you and your famlie . god bless

24. BBPACER

BBPACER

May God give you strength. I've lost both parents and a 42 yr old cousin to cancer in the last few years. None of them smoked, either. It's one of the most trying experiences you'll ever have, short of getting it yourself.

25. Prayers out to you and your family. Nice to see that you're doing everything in your means to give you Mom the best situation she could have.

Isn't it way cool that she came out last summer and you all had such a great time ! --- it is memories like this that will continue to make you smile. In too many cases we all get caught up in our silly little lives and don't stop long enough to enjoy the people in our lives while we can. You're doing the right things!

I obviously don't know you, but have lots of respect for those who really care and try to give a little back to those who gave so much to us. I can't speak for the HAMB vendors who you've had work done by . . . but I know that I'd sure rather have somebody deal straight up with me ( and not dodge the issue ), than me having to guess what the situation is. Give the gauge guy a call - one on one.

Hang in there my friend . . . and enjoy every minute you can with your Mom (she sounds like a cool lady).

Dale

26. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I can relate.
    All the best thoughts from here.

27. 41woodie

41woodie

Two things on my mind, I lost my mom in 2002, she was 75 and was killed instantly in a brutal car wreck. No time to tell her anything, no time to mend fences, no time to make her smile. For her the end was mercifully quick, for those left behind, guilt for not seeing what was really important and making her life better. Now that chance is gone.
    Secondly, and this may get me boo'ed by some. Make a brutally cold business decision about her medical bills. It sounds as if your mother will have little or no estate to pass on. If that is the case, your family is not responsible for her medical bills. Medicare will pay some and what there is of her estate can be used to pay anything beyond that. When the estate is gone you have no responsibilty for payment. You owe the family that you have left a sound financial foundation rather than depleting your resources.

28. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">You are doing the right thing by taking care of "MOM"! It tells
    'US" in the Bible to take care of our Mothers & Fathers later in life! This is the time when you can show her the Love that she gave you when you were growing up. She wanted to come home with you for a reason!She new she would be comfortable, and Loved in your home! Cherish every minute!
    My Wife and I, will be praying for you and your family!!!!
    God Bless my friend!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

29. Prayers and toughts out to you and yours....sorry to see anybody go through this.I lost my whole family to cancer (smoking).Keep your chin up

30. roddinron

roddinron

I already PM'd rockabillyjoe about this, but to anyone else reading this, DON'T take the word of western Drs as gospel! Look into alternatives. I have a Great Dane named Annie with Lymphoma, and 2 vets both said she had about 4-8 weeks, I've been treating her using a combination of things that I have learned from searching the web. Mostly based on the work of Johanna Budwig (google it) there is a yahoo group dedicated to it- http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FlaxSeedOil2/
    I'm also thinking of trying essiac tea (do a google)-
    http://www.essiacinfo.org/
    Annie has just entered her 8th week, and has actually shown some improvement, she is running and playing, and seems to be perfectly healthy, except for the lumps, and a slight problem with incontinence (she leaks a little). I'm hoping that adding Essiac will help rid the toxins from her lymph system.
    In 2003 Drs told us my mother had no hope (pancreatic cancer), we listened to them and let her die, I wish I would have known about these other alternatives and tried some of these things on her, I feel like I let her down.
    Cancer is big business in this country, the medical establishment doesn't want any cheap cures, and Dr's are not free to try anything that is not "approved".
    God bless anyone who is going through this, but after a lot of research, I do think there is hope.