Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crazy ideas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Do it.... don't even think twice!

Malcolm

2. crazy ? hell no , get ur done:D

3. El Gordo

El Gordo

When I was 18 in the early '80's (do NOT do the math ) I went to work on my uncles farm, he had a '57 Apache shortbox still sporting its original factory orange paint. It was beautiful but well beaten, he said he used it for "pushing cattle" and thats just what he did. In the days before Quads when you were rounding up cattle from the field you would get behind them with the truck and "convince them" with a nudge. The cows would protest with a kick back! There wasn't a square foot of sheet metal on that truck without a big dent in it.
    I loved that old truck and my uncle and cousins thought I was nuts

4. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

If I can do it, you can too. I might have to teach you how to do the mechanicals and not the bodywork sometime. It's much easier than a full blown resto. :D

5. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I'd do it in a heart beat. Nothing wrong with older vehicles as daily drivers. My brother drove a '58 Chevy pickup in the 1980's as his daily driver.

The average age of the vehicles I have is about 39 years old. The newest of the 16 (cars and bikes) I have is a '94 Ford E350 bus with a wheelchair lift we use when I take my wife anywhere. Great for hauling bikes and/or parts too, I brought a '59 Triumph home in it last weekend.

6. GlenC

GlenC

Leave the body stock, original style wheels and trims, keep it looking like a 'beater' by all means...

But stick a BIG BLOCK under the hood and scare the crap out of the ricers with it!

Cheers, Glen.

7. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Nice B-model Mack

Studebaker I guess? lol-its a wonder Mack never got sued over that.

8. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Ain't that what we used to call resto rods?

I've started out at least 4 times to build something stock looking, but with modern drivetrain, suspension, and brakes.
    I always end up dropping and shaving it though . . .
    Once you get a taste for blood, it's hard to go back.
    Maybe someday.

Craig :cool:

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Resto rods....maybe that's where I'm going....maybe not.

10. I think it sound like a good idea. But if you really are going to use it as a hauler etc etc, is it going to have enough room and be heavy duty enough for what you want to use it for?

I realize it isnt HAMB friendly but I picked up a 71 Chev 3/4 ton 4x4 from the original owner for a song. I can haul anything with it and easily pull my car trailer.

11. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

i had a 63 GMC that i bought for $300 it was a rust mess but with a good running SBC it turned out to be a good daily driver/work truck. The worst thing i did to it was rework the bed from a rotten plywood pile to chrome and cyprus... it turned a useful truck into and old truck with a really pretty bed in it that i didn't want to mess up.. dont do that...
    Old truck.
    [​IMG]
    Old truck's bed before..
    [​IMG]
    Old truck's bed after..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. brewsir

brewsir

betcha can't do it! You will start mocking it up and the next thing ya know it's waaaay nicer than you originally thought you would build it! Some people are just like that....not that it's a bad thing!

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know Brewsir, I know....

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

Any time you feel like you may be making it "too nice"- just give me a call. I can help you lower your standards. :)

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Jay. I knew I could count on you.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you were right in the beginning...we usta just call em beaters.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

We all know about the beater truck, we use em', we love. The beat down, beautiful purpose of a hard runnin work horse has been invaluble to everyone who has ever picked up a wrench. I like your plans just make it happen.

18. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Chris,
    I think from a practical stand point a truck will do much better than a car for just back and forth to work and running to Parr's and such. The thing is like you said, not overdoing it. Finding the comfortable medium is going to be tough for a go-getter like your self. But overall I like the idea of a reliable daily like the 36. Do it to it brother.
    Gabe