Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Drag Racing Event For 2008

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigken, Nov 3, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sounds like an AWESOME time. Boy o boy, Texas has sure been impressing me lately and a trip south with 70 degree temps sure sounds wonderful for Feb. We'll see how much money I have left over after I pick up Big Olds.;)

2. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

i think a 7 or 8 second club patch would be cool. id like to add one to my jacket if nothing breaks between now and then. just an idea though..

3. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Hugh You and Casey are some axle braking MOFO's:eek: :p :D

4. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Make it a "9 second club" and Im in! Great work by the BK and theTorques (sounds like a band) on gettin this thing rollin!

5. TorqueWench58

TorqueWench58
    from Plano TX

We will have info to had out at Pistons and Paint this Sat and hope to have the website for "Texas Thaw" up and running next ... with pre-registration .. were only about 15 weeks out from race week....

6. Big Tony

Big Tony

I was actually thinking about a patch like that...but for me to get one in my old sixer hauling my big butt around it would have to be 12 sec hehehehehe

7. Brad S.

Brad S.

"Twelve in the Eighth"

lol
    I could qualify for it. :D

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the pork chop man ,if you cant run fast,you can always grill .Remember me from the DOTD ?Thanks again for the hospitallity on the friday before the drags...

9. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

yeah any patch would be cool as long as you have to earn it.

10. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

8's in the 1/8 is roughly 13's in the 1/4. Meaning, running 8.99 is pretty close to running a 13.99. Running a 7.99 is just under a 12.50 1/4. Just for reference.

Of course, gearing and setup can vary those a little bit.

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

How about a patch for whatever i run and faster?Ha ,ha,ha.Just kidding , iwill be on the spray by then ,and if i dont blow the little ford up it should be faster .I wont miss a shift .I never do when it counts...

12. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

yeah im so tempted to put my 150 shot on mine, well see. i want to break 11's on motor first. i dont think the spray would do alot for my 1/8 mile. 7.78 @ 95 the car slows down after that. or atleast when i hit the first part of third.

13. Hahaha... I was enjoying our last few days before the snows of winter... today it was in the low 40's with 40mph winds and a windchill of about 27 degrees...!

All you guys have to do is dress for the weather and you'll be fine... we have to run studded snow tires to get traction on the ice... "No Shit"...!:D

This is how we race in February... Phil Mueller's Model A Coupe runs the 1/8 mile of Ice at over 104 mph!?!

Here's Phil's car and here's the link

[​IMG]

http://www.merrillicedrags.com/

Here's another from the "Fast Class" !!!
    [​IMG]

You've got to see this youtube of the event...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8izTNTobpY

This one Kind of looks Like a HA/GR...

[​IMG]

Some of these cars are running 140+ mph in the 1/8th mile on Ice and from what some say... they launch harder than on asphalt...!
    Rest of the story... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147592&page=3

And for the really serious Racers... February is the month for the "Slots Of Doom" races as well...!

14. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I love to have a good time racing my buddies . bracket racing let`s me run with everybody flat out! this is nostalga racing that hapen`s twice a year with street driving hot rod`s !!! not pro bracket racing
    and it is about skills !
    reaction time and trying to figure out a dial in time, the best time you think you can run down the track.
    this is about having fun with your buddy`s yes . it is exposed to be fun.
    head`s up racing parks my car.
    bracket`s with street driven hot rod`s is the only way to make it any fun ! so we can all race each other .

15. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

you suck ! and your buying at babe`s next year !;)

16. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

it`s fucking stupid ? having cars that are 3 or 4 seconds different
    running together ?
    all you kids that think thats neat and old school will get tired of it soon I hope !

17. maxspeedracing

maxspeedracing

The problem with bracket racing, is it is a non-spectator sport. Go to any bracket racing only tracks (Like Noble, Oklahoma), and the stands are empty with weeds high around them. Everyone there is racing, and the kids and wives are watching TV or having sex in the campers or vans.

Give everyone two qualifying rounds, then divide the cars up into 5 to 10 groups.

Give each winner a 6-pack of Bud Light, and everyone a free ice-scraper with some participant logo on it, and that will remind them of the Texas Thaw!

Don't make it a testosterone or money event, just a fun event. Something more exciting than sitting in a lawn chair at the NSRA event...

18. The Shocker

The Shocker

You will get in 11 's easy ,your less than a tenth away .You proly could take a big dump before you run and do it.Me only the other hand i am a half a second away from my goal of 12.99.I am really anxious to try laughing gas on the motor ,if for no other reason than to say that i had the balls to do it with a 4spd.I will dick with a lot more little things between now and then also ,there is plenty to tinker with.See you at the drags man ,maybe we will get a chance to line up and run...

19. TorqueWench58

TorqueWench58
    from Plano TX

I like that... an ice-scraper and a tube of sun tan lotion.. cause you just never know down here!!!

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Now that's inspiration for us wussies in Texas who think anything under 32 degrees is too damn cold. I need to remember this when Feb gets here to remind the rest of us it can be done if its a little cold...hehehehehe

21. The Shocker

The Shocker

I dont guess i dont understand what you meant by the last part.Could you please explain ?

22. Rusty

Rusty

He means it is stupid to lign up with a guy and hit the green light together knowing he is 4 seconds faster than you, thats not racing

23. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Maybe you should put that sbc back in your car so it will be 3-4 seconds faster. :D :p I had too buddy. ;) I like the heads up, run what ya brung thing, but I haven't brought enough yet so I'd have to stick to a bracket or an index.

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

Never mind Casey i finally got what you were saying with Rusty's help ,you were agreeing with my post.It does bother me the matches being unfare (but i would still have fun if i was making by runs so please dont get the wrong idea guys ) it would be a lot more interesting to know you might actually have a chance against your opponets in your class.That is part of why i am wearing myself out trying to go in the 12's and catching hell for trying to use NOS to get there,cuz it seems that most of the hotrods at the drags like Buzzards, Blt4spdsnce79 and Kerry were running 12.00 to 12.99 and thats the kinda of cars i always seem to have to run in eleminations .Not too many guys were in my range of mid 13 with my style of car .My car may look like a gasser but it still aint nothin but a falcon with a mild 302,4spd ,and highway gears ,with street tires running against hotrods with radical cammed sbc's with slicks and low gears.I dont mind racing my only car and risking breaking parts ,but its a lot harder to do when you know you dont have a fucking chance against your competition in you class.

25. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the help and iam tempted to ask you something about what you said but i have learned my lesson about asking for advise with my own hotrod on the board ( too many fragile egoes).I know you are trying to help though ,so thanks again .I may shoot you a pm or something later with a ? or 2 if you dont mind...

26. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

beat dead horse, ........ now , how about a simple index program kinda like the real early days of drag racing like a class only say a 6 second bracket a 7 second bracket a 8 second bracket or index. and run everyone that way at least the diff in the end will be under a second apart??? makes for good racing , several nostalgia races run 10.60, index and 9.60 and 8.60 for 1/4 mile just a thought nothing more ....

27. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

satan just sent you a long pm. great now Ive got satan on my side !:)
    It is no fun racing head`s up for me . and it will run every one else off except the fastest car`s ?
    and will turn a lot of street driven hot rod`s into trailed race car`s , and then it all comes down to who has the most money and how fast can you afford to go ? that`s what killed drag racing in the first place.
    after the normal hot rodder drives there street car and spend`s the time and money to go to these event`s ,
    and has to be put in a class ? with car`s that go 2-3-4? seconds faster they will stop trying ,or showing up I call these people the kid`s ? they will get tired of the thrash it take`s ! to even show up . for nothing , why bother ?
    and then I hope we can all go back to bracket racing so we can still drive or hot rod`s to the track and race each other . and even some one like me with my old flathead can have a chance to have fun and try making it through a few rounds .:p
    and shut up Robert ! and go wash those sbc letters out of your mouth !;)

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

You took the words right out of my mouth .Well put ,and i got your pm and sent you one back...

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

If there were no electronic gadgets allowed , indexes would work. Too many guys have all the delay boxes etc. Takes all the sport out of it.

30. Anderson

Anderson

Anyone with a delay box should be banned from this event.