Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picture Request for a 1954 Coronet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MVM, Oct 27, 2007.

1. HippyTN

HippyTN
    from Decatur Tn

this ones got the flat head 6 with the 2 speed powerflite, ran good for 100 horsepower but didnt have shit for top speed. its stock colors was some ugly ass 2 tone green and pastel green crap. was plannin on choppin it but a buddy of mine wanted the car worse than i did before i got the chance to chop it he bought it.

Attached Files:

2. MVM

MVM

That paint job is sick. I really like the undertone.

I was thinking to do a flat color after chopping it and then using an almond cream color for the undertone.

3. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

4. MVM

MVM

Wow, great stuff !! It definitely helps pave an idea of what I am planning to do with this one. Thanks again and keep us informed !!

5. MVM

MVM

Just dropped a down payment so he knows Im serious about the purchase.

Does anyone recommend a disc conversion of any sorts ? The drums to this one are junk !!

6. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

There are a couple out there, I've kept mine all 6 wheel cylinders and all for now, But I did replace the master cylinder with a hanging brake system from a 70's abody so I'd at least have 2 fluid sources, and above the floor.

I've yet to take it around the block with that system though so I can't give a full review on it yet.

7. HippyTN

HippyTN
    from Decatur Tn

that was just some black and grey primer i had layin around, i couldnt stand the pastel green anymore haha. but i went with the 2 tone just kinda tryin to break it up and be a lil different. and as far as disc breaks, i was gonna go with a mustang 2 set up and air bag it if i kept it,several different companys makes kits to fit that car i think. old car didnt drive half bad but it would have drove 10 times better then, you gonna keep the original engine in it?

8. MVM

MVM

Still uncertain about the motor. I might keep her running for the time being to learn from it and make as much power as I can. I don't mind experimenting as long as I learn along the way.

But I must say.. Id really like to build a stroker hemi and really trick her out. Somthing with high stacks that might make me cut up that hood !! haha

9. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I rebuilt the stock break system on mine and I think it works really good. It would be nice to have a dual master though. Of course I have the stock engine too.

Zombie, I believe that is probably the first 54 Dodge Gasser ever. I love it.!

10. MVM

MVM

Any recommended suppliers ??

11. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

I rebuilt my stock brake system too, and I think it works great. I've driven my car half way across the country and back through just about every kind of conditions there are, and have never worried that the brakes weren't good enough.

Key to getting them to work right is the Ammco Brake Guage. There is no way to get them dialed in correctly by the "feel method", there are too many variables beyond feeling the drag of the shoe inside the drum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I replaced all of the wheel cyclinders, master cylinder, shoes, and lines. All of the parts but the lines came from http://www.kanter.com/
    If I were to do it again though, I would definitely price out the disc kit. The stock stuff isn't cheap, and by the time you replace everthing, you are getting close to the cost of the disc kit anyway. No question the discs have better stopping power, and a dual master cylinder is safer, but the stock brakes work remarkably well when they are set up right.

If your '54 has the overdrive, it will cruise all day long at 70 no sweat.

Here's a couple clips of my car, taken last week. I had a couple guys ask what my car was like climbing hills and accelerating at speed without shifting out of OD:
    Maintaining speed uphill
    Accelerating at speed

Sure the flathead six isn't a neck snapping hemi, but it's great for a cruiser, and has plenty of power to comfortably handle the everyday driving that I do. I get about 19mpg on the highway too, and I've done just about everything I can to make the engine get worse mileage...:D

[​IMG]

Pete

12. MVM

MVM

They gauge setup is killer !!

13. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Yeah, I remember trying to adjust mine using dial calipers. Well, that didn't work out to well!

Find a gage somewere they are worth getting.

I'd say get the car and go through the brakes and wiring, change all the fliuds, flush the coolant rebuild the carb and drive that thing!

If you have to replace all the wiring you might as well go with a 12 volt conversion. The six will start a lot eiser.

I should have converted mine a year ago.

14. MVM

MVM

Does painless offer anything as far as a harness ?

15. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

I used a 21 circuit harness from EZ-Wiring. Very affordable at about $150, but not as high quality perhaps as others like Painless. Instructions were dismal at best, so I downloaded the 21 page Painless instructions from their website to augment the 4 page stuff that came with the harness. Worked for me...

Pete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 53burb

53burb

Go with ez wiring kit. Laid55 on here took over my wagon and presto......it was done in a matter of no time. The kit is pretty straight forward and easy to install. I am getting another one to do my '54 Chrysler and this time do it on my own. Thanx again Renee (laid55)

17. MVM

MVM

Looks like fun. I cant wait to start digging in on this project.

18. A buddy of mine who parts-out Pontiacs took this 54 into his yard. He's been parting it out. Has the baby [241] hemi engine in it.

Attached Files:

19. MVM

MVM

PM me with his contact info. I am always collecting parts that I can rework.

20. MVM

MVM

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a windshield visor ? I dont know if they came stock, but I definitely am liking that look.

21. MVM

MVM

Couple quick shots to keep the thread alive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Excellent! How's it running?

IF you ever wanna sell it, list it here on the HAMB so I can buy it!

23. MVM

MVM

Runs the balls. I just need to rewire everything and install the new starter switch I just picked up. Also thinking of converting to Propane even though its a flat 6.

The list goes on.. brakes and such... will most definitely do a full motor rebuild and post the progress as I go on the forum.

24. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

Here's some recent pics of mine

[​IMG]

and the engine

[​IMG]

25. Anyone needing parts for one of these? I have one that I used the Hemi out of.
    Rest of car is up for parts..FREE...E-mail me if you want something off this car
    [email protected]

26. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

If I was closer to you I'd be over with a trailer. But let me look and see what could reasonably be shipped to me.

27. MVM

MVM

Still got the stainless moldings and flashing ?

28. MVM

MVM

Anyone have pictures of a CHOPPED coronet ?