Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nitrous Oxide ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Nov 2, 2007.

1. A while back I had a Top Gun unit. If i remember right, i ran a 125-150 HP gas jet, and a 100HP nitrous jet. I wanted it fat/safe, so I also ran the fuel pressure to the gas solenoid a couple lbs higher than what they suggested. My car ran 11.70's @114MPH off, and 10.70 @ 130MPH on!

2. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

as for a push button or a throttle activated micro switch...i always ran a push button. i had mine wired into the horn button on the steering wheel (totally hidden) on my 71 chevelle. the horn button could be activated real easy while still being able to steer and shift.(automatic).
    on my nova, i used a trunk release button, set into the center console. it was in plain sight, but since it was labled"trunk" no one ever questioned it. all of my cars were sleeper street racers by the way. i hid the bottles in the trunk, by cutting the bottom out of an old craftsman small tool box, and i set the box over the botttle. i still had the top tray in it with a few misc. tools...so i could open it up, and no one woudl ever see the bottle. i had the solenoids hidden, and all the braded lines shrouded in black plastic convoluted tubing. the only real give away was the secondary fuel line, and the plate under the carb. but, generally, we raced at night...and no one ever spotted it. i'd always opme my hood and show what was there....no one ever caught it. a friend of mine has an 80 malibu wagon, 572" big block, 250 horse of nitrous. it's a plate system, but it's all hidden. the car has stock gm rally wheels, m&h cheater slicks, full stock interior, no aftermarket gauges, and a column shifter. he has the bottle hidden inside a laundry basket at the rear of the car...and it even has dirty clothes in it to cover the bottle. this car runs low 9's with full exhaust...and it's actually pretty quiet for what it is. the only real giveaway is the cheater slicks, and the 3" exhaust. it has a stock flat hood on it with the inner panels cut out (the hood is very flimsy). the air cleaner actually rubs the inside of the hood. he's running a dominator on it, so the air cleaner is just there to hide the dominator. if he races, the air cleaner comes off. oh yeah, this is his every day driver too.

3. scrape

scrape

you agree...!!!???? wtf!!!! ive been telling you this for how long????!!!!!

4. BigChief

BigChief

If your only looking for a 1/2 second why not just dial in the tune-up, the suspension and your driving? 5.0 guys are pulling easy 12's with all iron motors. You've got good heads and your only running 13's? - it sounds like if you optimized gearing, traction and played with the suspension you should easily dip into the high 12's.

Many a snot nosed brat driving a 5.0 car are running 12's with nothing but sticky DOTs and some suspension tuning. Spend your money there....bottles are for babies, not race cars. :)

Good luck with it.

-Bigchief.

5. cracker head

cracker head

i have a later model mustang with a 125 shot, runs 11.80s. i agree with danny, put a button on the shifter, leave the line with your finger on the trigger and hang on!

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

Alright then ,i disagree,happy homo?Did you get your truck fixed yet???

7. The Shocker

The Shocker

I know your trying to help and your right about the suspension, but
    please dont compare my gasser to a stang.My car is set up all wrong for a drag car i know (especially suspension wise) .Everyone of my buddies keeps telling me this like i havent noticed.This car has a serious handicap with the nose catching wind like a sail and almost no front end lift off the line from the straight axle.If i just wanted to go fast i would build a tubbed out vega or something with 90/10 shocks a 4 link and small block chevy with a glide /brake.What the hell is fun about that or a stang like everyone else on my block has?I know my motor is tuned right and if i dropped it in the right chassis that was a dedicated none street legal race car chassis ,with a pussyfied automatic,it would proly run low 12's /high 11's.I am also speed shifting a 4spd thats older than i am, not an internal rail idiot proof 5 spd that you would find in one of those dildo mustangs or alot of other nostalgic race cars nowdays.I also have a 600 carb and a 2:78 1st with PLAIN street tire.They proly have a 3.3? first, injection, and M/T E.T. cheater slicks and a $400 a month car payment...

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

Those numbers for stock mustangs at high 12's seem a bit low .I work with two yuppies at work .One owns a stock LT1 late model Z28 that runs 8.9's in the 1/8 and the other pussy has a 2000 stang that runs 9.2's.Not sure in the 1/4 but i doubt either one of those 1/8 mile times would be in the 13's in the 1/4.I ran 8.6's in the 1/8 at Temple and that was only 13.5 in the 1/4 ,and both of those nerds are running drag radials.I saw a 2007 stang on YouTube that ran 13.5 on drag radials and a paxton /8 psi of boost.So how can a stock one run high 12's ?

9. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Buy the best nitrous kit you can afford. One that you can keep for years and put on other cars that you want to make alot more power in than just 100hp shot. Like the NOS Big Shot or a NOS Cheater kit. Just because the kit says it is adjustable from 225 to 500 doesnt mean you have to put them in. Their adjustable, BUT EXTRA JETS TO JET IT AT ONLY 100hp. Call NOS tech and they will tell you what jets to buy. This way you have the best solinoids and all other components. But the horse power gain you want. And a dedicated fuel system is a must. Put a moon tank on the front of your grill, cause they look bitch. But fill yours with gasoline to feed the nitrous kit. And a dedicated Holley Blue pump to the Fuel Solenoid. Retard the timing and set the fuel pressure on the nitrous kit with the spray bar in a 5 gallon bucket, while it is spraying. NOT while the fuel is dead headed against the solinoid. This way you get true fuel pressure. . DO NOT LIFT OFF THE THROTTLE IF THE BUTTON IS DOWN! Dont go buying timing computers , nitrous controllers and bla , bla , bla. Your timing computer just you taking the time to change it and your controler is your finger on the button. On or Off. Keep your system simple. So when you have a problem it is easy to chase down. Hit the button and have fun.

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

Well said !!!!

bottles are for babies, not race cars. :) Please tell that to some of those 4 second outlaw cars !!!:confused: :confused:

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks King Chassis,i like your idea with the moon tank for the other nitrous fuel supply...

12. JAWS

JAWS

My last ride was an old pickup with a blown 377 chev that I built myself. It was backed by a super T-10. When the blower came on boost it added an rpm increase that was almost instant. Much like the nos is going to do for you. My point is, with a 4 speed and an engine grabbing rpms like that and a lack of traction, it is all you will be able to do to keep it straight the first couple times you use it. I'm not questioning your skills, just saying that you haven't had your car act like that yet.

If it was me and my car, I would put a micro switch on the carb. I would be way too busy in the seat trying to drive.

I think you already planned on that from the earlier posts about hitting the button later down the track. Just thoght I'd throw that out there.

13. being this is your daily driver, I'd run a microswitch on the carb. I didn't run one on my 57 with the 250 shot at first but later installed it and was alot easier to concentrate on the driving. I also ran the same set-up on the wifes 61 wagon and again, it was the better set-up at least for me

14. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I have no idea about stock mustangs, but the 8.9 should be a high 13.

The rest is pretty much exactly why some people have negative attitudes towards nitrous. You don't want to take the time and effort to dial in you car to run faster. I doubt that you're buddies are trying to talk you into back halfing the car. Just get the right tire and shock combo for a decent launch. And if the front end being high is slowing you down, which I doubt makes much difference, then bring it down. A gasser shouldn't be slower because of looks. Get some shocks on front that will let the weight transfer.

And there is very little chance that the engine is tuned right. It should run better than 94 mph. if it was tuned. I'm not bagging on you about that, either. You just added those heads and only have somewhere around 10-15 passes on the motor since then. And I doubt you were able to do much tuning at the track. You really haven't had much chance to get it dialed in very well. Take the time to play with the timing and carb settings at least.

Seems like a bunch of people here, and in your real life, are trying to help you with this car. You've ignored most of the advice that I've seen people give you. Seems like you just want to hear what you want to hear.

I have no problem with nitrous. I'm planning on running it on my '55. But I won't start spraying until I'm dialed in and running as hard as it can on motor. Then, if I still can't beat DW, I'll spray.:)

But to not address the suspension and tuning issues and just add nitrous, IMO, is a copout.

Do yourself a favor and really think about what kind of switch you use. If you use a finger switch, and miss a shift, there's a good chance for big trouble for your daily.

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

It has went from questions about slicks to heads to carbs, to gears to trans to nitrous to susp. to motor to whats next ? A daily on the strip is hard to do. But what do I know ????

16. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I'm not sure if your "what do I know"s are pointed towards him, or the rest us.

But I listen do what you say. Mainly because you are so dang old and have been around cars since the stone ages. :D Don't always agree with what I read, but I definatly take it in consideration as a valid point.

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

But yeah, a ton of questions with few changes on the car. That's kinda the point I was trying to make. I'm not sure he's listening to any of it.

18. Dirty2

Dirty2

You just hit it. No mater what we say not to many changes. I am with you on the tune up . With the weight of the car and motor there is no reason for the slow times . A stock SBF should do it easly.
    I have been playing with nitrous since the early 80's when you bought a kit and you teed into the gas line. Blew the ring glands out of some expensive pistons. To the late 90's with a 6 second blazer blowing the whole bottom end out of sbc block. I bleed chevy orange and love NOS , even at the dentest. But I respect all the other motors. Speed is really what its about. I'm out of here.

19. Thats funny I was going to say that, but didn't wan't to get into a pissing contest with him.

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

Easy guys ,i know i am a little hard headed at times ,but i am not a complete asshole either.I also agree the car is not perfect but its kinda hard for me to make drastic changes and keep the car drivable every day so i can get around.How many of you Buzzards and Dirty's and X-gassers use your hotrods as your only daily transportation?Despite what you think as you laugh at me and point fingers ,i do value your opinion or i wouldnt ask .if i could just put my car on blocks while i drove something else as you guys do i might be able to experiment more .I am lucky to have made it to the DOTD and back in one piece as ignorante as i am about cars right...

21. The Shocker

The Shocker

The "what do i know is directed towards me" ,but i dont bother me .Dirty 2 is always saying something funny like that to me .Thats part of why i like him ,cuz he reminds me of my late father saying that stuff.

22. The Shocker

The Shocker

BTW ,telling me to go out and buy a whole new frontend set up (shocks alone aint gunna do it cuz the springs are real stiff and if i lower it much more in the front the oil pan sump is gunna hit the axle ,but you never asked that ,you just assumed i was hard headed for not changing the shocks) and new rear suspension set up, 5 sets of different rear tires and slicks and 4 intakes and several different carbs and headers would be great if i was rich but im not and because i dont (cant) do this doesnt mean i dont listen it means i cant till i find the cash and the days off.Oh yeah ,Buzzard if my motor was to have blown holding it in third ,would you have bought me another?I think your coupe needs to have some Barry Grant carbs on it instead of those Edelbrocks ,might run faster, and it also needs whole new muncie with custom gears for your application ,might help and it also needs ...See what i am getting at?You are doing the same thing to me .Best i can remember your A runs high twelves ,that aint a whole lot faster than my daily as far as ET 's go ,and your A proly weighs around 2000 im guessing .Compaired to my 2600 plus 100 pounds of shit in the back when i ran 13.59.Your car really outta be faster to for what it is 327 ,2 fours ,aluminum heads ,4 spd. ,4.11 ,slicks and 2000 lbs.,"But what do i know".I love you guys.(BIG SMILE)...

23. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I don't think you're being an asshole at all, just a bit hard headed. It does make it more difficult having your daily also be your track car. That's why I don't do it. I could drive my coupe everyday. But I'm older and have had time to save up to have both. So I can beat the heck out of the coupe and put it on stands when I break it. I couldn't care less about people considering me hardcore or not.

You bring up a valid point about my car being faster, but I think you're missing the big picture. First, I don't have aluminum heads. I have Dart Iron Eagles, but I see where you are going with that. And the two fours slows the car compared to a good single four barrel. I've known that all along. Even before I went from the 3x2's to the 2x4's. And the car weights 2470 lbs. .

But here's the deal. I set out to run 100 mph and made the changes to get there. Then I wanted 12's. I added the heads and got there too. I knew all along I was doing it the hard way. The gears are perfectly matched for racing while remaining streetability. I finish at 7300rpm in 3rd and can still cruise at 70mph. I know that because I've done a lot of calculations based on my tire sizes and what my motor's power band is. And I went with the Darts based on valued opinions and info. that I got right here on the board. I'm sure you can search some threads I started for discussions on Darts, AFR's etc.

A single 750 holley and nitrous would have brought me into the 12's years ago. It would have been really easy. But I wanted to do it by learning how to tweak my motor, and make decisions accordingly. I didn't do it with one 800 call to summit and my credit card. Did I spend $$$ to get there, hell yeah. But I didn't do it over night, or make changes that drastically changed the feel of the car. I just think you are looking for nitrous to be a bandaid for doing homework and taking the effort to build it "right". (my opinion of "right")

No, I'm not going to pay for your broken parts. I told you to stay in 3rd based on the information that you gave us on a couple of threads asking for help going faster. The advice I gave was based on you giving the wrong rear tire size. If your tires were the size you said before I took the time and effort to answer, it would have been the correct advice.

But I'm about done trying to help. Put a 75 shot, with a finger button,on there and run 13.20's until you miss a shift and blow it up if that's what you want.

As far as I'm concerned, we're cool as could be. I'll buy you a beer at PnP and we can hang out. I'm just frustrated, at this point, with trying to help get you quicker and feeling like I'm banging my head against a wall.

Oh, and take the stuff out of your truck before you run again. You'll go faster and it's dangerous. If you were to crash or roll, all of that stuff becomes projectiles.

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

I see what your saying and your right i am just in a hurry to go faster and nitrous seems easy.I am trying my best and i have tried lots of things that you and others on here have told me.i put daul exhausts and cherry bombs on it yesterday that dump at the rear end ,cuz thats what Dirty 2 and a few others recomended for better back pressure.i spent the whole day welding all that shit together and making hangers.now would i have done that if i didnt consider what others tell me.I cant tell without a time slip if it made a difference ,but it seems the same to me ,just a lot quieter. I know ya'll are trying to help ,but i can only do little bits at a time.i made a mistake on the tire size and i opoligise.the stuff in the back was in the under bed panel and i put it there tring to get weight over the tires for traction.No hard feelings here ,but if your gunna get pissed at me when i dont or cant do everthing you suggest than i dont need your help.I will buy you a beer at Pistons next weekend and i am sorry that i get bent some times and overreact but when your reading words on a screen its real easy to misunderstand ridacule without looking at someones face...

25. senior fried

senior fried

I would like to talk to all you guys at pistons and paint there is alot of info to cuss and discuss about nitrous. I have the cheater system from nos that Danny is talking about. I am getting around a 300 hp shot. With doing the math on the jets. hope to make it ! see ya then Dennis

26. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

The rule of thumb for nitrous has always been, run no more than 1/2 of your motors HP in nitrous. I E, your motor cranks out 300HP, don't run more than 150HP in nitrous.

27. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

This thread has gotten a little off track. I do want to thank the guys that have posted some good info. on running nitrous. I have learned several things about nitrous on this thread.

28. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

there is no way that a STOCK 5.0 mustang will run in the 12's...there is no way !
    a stock 5.0 mustang, is a low 15 - high 14 second car...even with cheater slicks. admit it, they are dogs at the track. a 15 second street car is actually pretty quick on the street. but to say a stock mustang can run in the 12's is just outrageous. i whopped many 5.0 mustangs with my low 13 second chevelle back in the day. i even had a chevy citation v-6 that could hang with a 5.0 until almost 1/2 track (in a 1/4 mile).
    the key to nitrous, is have good traction, and pulling the trigger right off the line and HOLDING it the whole 1/4 mile. think about the outlaw pro-mods running dual stage nitrous set ups. they use a lower horsepower shot of juice right off the line, and then kick in the higher h.p. juice at 1/2 track. bolting a juice kit onto motor is so much fun. it's cheap, you get instant results...and it's like a whole new motor.
    as for the tuning and suspension....does everyone have access to a dyno to get the perfect tune ?? suspension components can help alot, but you'd dump alot more money into that, than on a nitrous kit...plus it would totally change the look of the car. my 70 nova, had bone stock, worn out suspension, 6 cylinder coils in the front, sears shocks front & back, mono-leafs, a stock open 10 bolt rear with 3:08 gears, and slapper bars. the car hooked, and went straight every time. the car sat about 3 inches lower than it should have because the suspension was so worn out.
    not everyone can afford a top notch suspension set up is all i'm trying to say.

29. senior fried

senior fried

The rule of thumb has been proven wrong more than once.

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the support .Its a little ruff trying to build a street strip daily driver car on a budget ,and some of these guys ragging on my ass just makes it harder...