Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aftermarket power steering for 55 Crown Victoria

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larry T, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Does anyone here know of an aftermarket power steering box for 55 Fords (or a stock box that can be adapted) like they make for 55-57 Chevys? I know that someone makes a rack and pinion setup but it's kinda new looking for the car. I also know they came stock with a ram type power steering, but I'd kinda like to stay away from that too.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

right here:

http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/

3. Larry T

Larry T

Does anyone here know Frank Simon at Gearhead Cruiser Products and Services? Any opinions, good or bad? Looks like he might have the setup I'm looking for.
    Larry T

4. Ole don

Ole don

Gearheads is good stuff, but expensive. There was a long thread about this a week ago on the FordBarn forum, all the answers are there.

5. ferds 57 wagon

ferds 57 wagon
    from dufur ore.

I had a Gearheads p/s kit in my 57 wagon-piece of junk,dangerous to drive.Went to rack,drives great.One mans experience,Gearheads are a ripoff.

6. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

try http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ I just got a powersteering gear box close ratio for my fulsize 60 ford you may have to call them they got new stuff thats not listed on there web site

7. Paul2748

Paul2748

The granada setup supposedly works good on the 54-56 Fords. If your interested, I got a tech sheet from the CVA on how to do.

8. 59 brook

59 brook

hate to speak bad at anyone but nothing positive to say about gearheads searched all over for my 59 to upgrade the steering was gonna buy a kit from gearheads. met at least 3 people who had nothing but trouble .went with the wurthit designs kit but be patient if thats the route you take as his wifewas having major medical issues and it affected his shipping of the units. also check out hotrodders.com for a tech about 57 ford wanders bad and you can judge for yourself. also i think possible another company called i think rrf out of australia but sold here by jeff ford from mustang monthly magazine

9. spare parts

spare parts

Fat Man Fab. has kit for 54/56 that uses stock tie rods and a Cavalier r&p listed in his catalog.

10. Armstrong

Armstrong

Gearheads seriously screwed a friend of mine when their stuff did not fit. I would stay away from them.

11. ferds 57 wagon

ferds 57 wagon
    from dufur ore.

please tell about your friends exiperence

12. Sacred Steel

Sacred Steel
    from Mass.

My advice is to stay away from Gearheads Cruiser Products. I bought a modified 605 box from him and the thing is junk. It wanders very bad and locks up. I took it out because it's dangerous. I am putting in a CPP Series 500 box that is made for a 55-57 Chevy. I had to drill two new holes and modify the frame a bit where it bolts up to but it fits nice and is in the exact position as the original box sat. It took some work but I know it will be worth it. Here is a picture of it. Hope it shows up.

Attached Files:

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I rebuilt the original non p/s box in my 55 sunliner and it works fine,I was looking into the gearheads p/s system but it was too expensive and from what I have heard I am glad I did not buy it. My 55 has a 351-W/C-4 and does not need p/s,if I put in the 390 I was considering it might need it. Jeff

14. metalman

metalman

I recently installed a Gearhead box in a customers 60 Starliner. Didn't "bolt in" like they claim. Had to cut the frame and notch it for clearance (fun with the motor & sheetmetal on!), no way the lower column mount they sold him would work. After all the cussing and sweat to get it all in the box is as loose as a worn out old stocker, suppose to be rebuilt???. For the money they charged for the kit, no way would I do another.

15. Ole don

Ole don

I tried the GM rack, I lost so much turn radious it took two cuts to get out of my own drive way. I tried the modified tri 5 Chev unit, it would work great for a non stock car, but my car has a Y block with a stick trans, and the stock clutch linkage is in the way. I now have a rebuilt stock power steering, and it works like it should. I know they are rare, and often expensive. I would recomend looking into the Granada/Maverick type.

16. Sacred Steel

Sacred Steel
    from Mass.

It's rebuilt allright! He takes a stock Ford sector shaft, cuts off the two outer teeth (5 down to 3) and grinds the remaining three teeth to fit. Piss poor machining:eek: is what makes it so sloppy and causes it to lock up.

17. ferds 57 wagon

ferds 57 wagon
    from dufur ore.

I sure feel bad about other people being burned by GEARHEADS.What Frank Simmons does to stearing boxes boderers on a crime,an accident waiting to happen.He's lower than a snakes belly.One mans opition.

18. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

I had great time talking to Frank he his help me so much!!!!! never had bad part from him have a 1958 ford got disc brakes power steering set up sway bars and he help me find a front fender that I was looking for a long time he found one in ONE day I had been lookinf for 6 months:D

19. thekasa

thekasa

Paul, could you email me the CVA on using the Granada steering box, on 56 ford car ?
    Thanks Gorden