Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stoner, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoner

Stoner

Hey, DF--I miss you at Car Craft!

What are your thoughts on this, David? Drop some knowledge, D!

STONER

2. I like the magazines. The thing with the magazine is if I want to look up an article again in 10, 20, 50 years.. all I have to do is find the mag. Websites change all the time, unless technology advances radically you won't be able to access something from May 1998, in May 2018.

3. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I stumbled into the HAMB very early in my feeble internet attempts at using the internet and it's the greatest thing going !,But somehow for me BOOKS will always remain my biggest passion .There's just something about having a book in my hands that I don't think can be replaced by a computer screen

4. devildog101

devildog101

#1 without a doubt. You just cant roll a computer up in your back pocket & take it anywhere. I work out in the field all over Los Angeles and I always have a good mag with me in the truck.

5. I have never purchased a magazine except for some 50's Hot Rod or similar at the swapmeet.

I've never purchased a music tape, record, CD or whatever they have now either.

I've flipped through them at the store occasionally, but too many ads and company sponsored high buck build stories for me.

I'm sure I'm missing some good info in the middle, but i can get that here or figure it out myself, or with my friends' help.

6. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

but only if the subscription price is cheap. $9.95 a year ain't bad. I don't always get around to reading them, but its cool knowing that they're there if I want them. When I'm done or if the stack gets too big, I just pass them along to friends.

7. celibaterifle

celibaterifle
    from Australia

Print for sure. But I'm more selective these days - has to be something of interest in it, before I hand over my hard earned.

What I don't enjoy in a mag is poor writing, bad editing and incorrect spelling (maybe I'm being anally retentive here, but if I'm paying for a product, is it too much to ask that certain things are correct).

What I would like to see in a photo spread is a decent side profile photo of the vehicle being featured. In my opinion this is the best way to get an understanding on the stance, etc. What's the point of showing a close up of the taillight stalk, if you don't give a decent overall photo of the vehicle. That's one of the many reasons why I like RJ.

Just my thoughts.

Jimmy

8. tattfrog

tattfrog

I've spent a small fortune on the library I have and don't see a end in site.No.1 all the way.

9. RF

RF

That's sorta like JJ asking Arlen how to build better bikes. Come to think of it, maybe he should! Either way, that kinda knowledge don't come for free, D.

10. Conder

Conder

I have to say, web magazines are instant. Garage is cool right now because they still aren't 3 to 4 issues ahead on everything, but soon they'll be working on "next years issue" in July. These sites are really good forums to show your work or even better, say something that's on your mind where a lot of folks will hear it...All with instant responses.

I'm with some other folks on here...Print a really good magazine, back it up with a very interactive, really good website, then sponsor, build and run a metalflake '68 Charger Funny car.

11. the duke

the duke

#1 for sure. What the hell am I going to be looking for in antique shops, yard sales , and swap meets when I get old if its all online. Tactile experience is very important

12. 5window

5window

Got to go with #1. I love the internet and the HAMB for the access and help to all the stuff I am ignorant about-or just want to know. But for sheer inspiration and relaxation there just isn't anything to beat sitting down after a long day with a big cup of coffee or a bit of wine and a good read.

13. 1. yes, i will always buy garage, hop up, rodders journal, surfers journal, dice, no online mag will ever replace having it in hand, and in my collection to peruse easily anytime i want to. Also, you have to be online to view an online mag (duh) so if you're a non computer guy, you're screwed which is lame. Printed mags such as your fine garage magazine give me something to look forward to in the mail. if it weren't for that, i'd have nothing but bills!

14. No doubt, Number 1. I spend too much time in front of a moniter already (at work). I've got magazines my son teethed on (He's 41!).
    I just like em.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'd like to point to Deadend Magazine as the glowing example of how good a webzine can be -- in terms of content and design, it's right up there with the best of the print mags.

On the other hand, the solid future of print is indicated by the number of people who've said they wished that Deadend would go to print!

16. # 1 has my vote for sure, even though I'm much into the net, there's nothing like a mag in your hand or on your coffetable.

/ primerkid

Attached Files:

17. Freiburger

Freiburger

It seems that, according to you guys, I just made a bad call. Tomorrow is my last day in print publishing after 16 years at Petersen and 4 freelancing before that. It was a very tough call because I love the brand and the legacy, but I quit HOT ROD. It's hard to even say that out loud.

I got the funding to start my own video-heavy car magazine online. I think we'll have the talent and the cash to make this the site that sets the standard.

DF

18. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

holy crap, seriosly?
    i love what you did with HRM. Leave it in good hands and best of luck with your future ventures.

19. Holy Shit, I've been buying Hot Rod since Aug 53, and I almost quit many times over the years, but since DF has been the Editor it's been great.
    I've been worried that there would be changes since it's Primmedia sold it and I guess it's starting now.

20. Conder

Conder

Tear it up Dave, hose clamps an' all!

21. MyronH

MyronH

1 - For inspiration - especially DICE

2 - For information - when I need to know something NOW the net is invaluable

22. Wow... serious buzzkill. You did a phenomenal job at HRM and really re-energize it. Best wishes for the new online venture, it sounds very cool.

23. Plowboy

Plowboy

I just got a thing in the mail for 3 years for 18 bucks. I was going to subscribe with the new direction of HRM and all. I guess I had better go buy a 30 pack of Busch Light instead........

24. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

#1.

As many hours a day as I use the internet, I can count on one hand the number of times that I've read any online magazine, on any subject.

25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

My first tech article appeared in R&C 46 years ago....That's when Petersen had honest to God copy editors and staffers had writing skills in addition to being hot rodders. Some of the stuff on the 'net is pathetic when it comes to communication skills.

I can't help but wonder if left to our own devices with magazines only and no interenet, if we wouldn't be more creative in the design and construction of our cars. One more "what do ya think about this" thread and I'm going to puke on the keyboard!

26. Adam D.

Adam D.

numero uno

nothin beats flippin through the latest issue with ur bros.

27. You can't do that, I just sent them a renewal check for three years! Wonder if it's too late to cancel?

Larry
    OKC

28. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I don't subscribe anymore. Too much disapointment with 3-4 out of 12 that are good. I look at the news stand and just buy the ones with things I like in them. DF, Hot Rod will suck again. I bought Car Craft when you were there and now it sucks. Keep us up on what you do.

29. synthsis

synthsis

With a little bit of luck and some hard work, I should have some of my stuff in print in the near future with the help of Randy(Blacktop graffiti)

30. theriverslut

theriverslut

#1. It is the idea of having something tangeble in hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.