Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 radiator and blinker switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fast41, Oct 26, 2007.

1. fast41

fast41

I need to know what radiator works best for a F-1 and should I use an electric fan or not. Also I need some ideas for a blinker switch. Thanks!

2. rat49f6

rat49f6
    from dirty jerz

what year f1???

3. upzndownz

upzndownz

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Your original radiator will work well if it is in good shape or it can possibly be recored for a decent price if necessary.
    Important is what engine you're running behind it (location and size of inlet/outlets).

5. fast41

fast41

Sorry form the lack of info. My truck is a 1951 F-1. The engine is a small block chevy with a T350 transmission.

6. A mid sixties full size GM rad works perfect all you do is trim the fin from the inside of the horseshoe on the truck and it slips right in. Then make some mounts and off you go. This is the one I have run for a few years now and there are a lot of them out there in the wrecking yards

7. As far as blinkers. That thing below your left shoulder is the stock F1 blinker

8. Have you ever noticed that you don't need blinkers until you are in the middle of a rain storm.
    I have an F1 and am going to put signals in, also.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Did someone say turn signal switch?:D I have a fetish for them. So many beautiful designs and and they have been pretty cheap in the past. You can still get them brand new with 4 ways and complete instructions but they are boring to me.:D I think every part on a car should be considered for it's beauty as well as it's price and usefulness.

10. a radiator from an Advance Design Chevy truck (47-54) will fit in those 48-51 Fords perfectly,just bolt a flat strap to each flange on the radiator, which in turn, bolt to the F-1 core support.. Use either good used or new ones, and the outlets are rite for your 350.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Your choices of Turn Signal Switches are:
    1. Cheapies like Vintique and others sell with puke green lite-up knob on lever.
    2. Modern add-ons for big trucks, very large and industrial stuff.
    3. Incredibly interesting and sometimes beautiful as pictured above by Tommy to be found at swapmeets and on eBay, craigslist, etc.

12. I've used a 64 chevy radiator with a 327 in a 51 F-1. I've also used the stock radiator. My current 50 F-1 has a walker radiator (454)

13. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

I've got an aluminum radiator from Ron Don Davis Racing. Pricey, but well worth it in my book. :cool:

14. 52 Pickup

52 Pickup
    from Oakley, CA

I am using the stock radiator in mine with a SBC. Just had it recored. Put a 6 cylinder top tank on it so it had one hose bib. The engine sits too low for a mechanical fan to work so I have an electric behind the radiator. Works pretty good except for when it gets over 100 outside. A shroud would probably help that.

Turnsignal... I have a tilt column in mine but one thing I did was change out the single filament bulb socket in the parking light for a dual filament one. Makes the parking light the turn signal too.

15. TERPU

TERPU

That's funny.

Tim

16. mtflat

mtflat

Stock radiator is more than you need but keep your pressure cap to 7# or less. Shrouds as mentioned are a must-have.

Turn signals - I went to NAPA and picked up a Signal-Stat - they've been around for years. Gives me turns and emergency flashers and still looks like units did in the 50's.

For safety, use 2 tail lights, paint inside the buckets flat white, 12V - use 2357 bulbs and I incorporated a cheap stick-on 10" LED third brake light in the rear window. Hardly know its there until I hit the brakes. Oh, and a Harley-Davidson brakelight switch........it takes less pressure to activate.

17. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

im actually wondering the same thing for my 52 f1, except im dropping in a 87' 302. anyone have any suggestions? i apologize if im "hijacking" this thread, i figured its still ontopic

18. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Nice to see I'm not the only one with a Turn Signal Switch fettish. I had a heck of a time getting one of those to work on my '47 as the "2 to 3 wire" conversions they sell are limited in their application (I needed to be able to add more load as I was setting the truck up to tow with)
    The signal stat one is nice since it kinda looks old and still has all the neat internal functions, but those really old ones are so much cooler IMHO.
    Let's see more pics!!!!

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is my favorite. It must be the oldest one that I've seen. The top, housing and lever must be pot metal. Everything is a casting. They polish up like chrome. If you look close you'll notice that the detent is on the outside! The spring is exposed between the arm and the detent near the center. There is a notch in the bridge over the arm that the detent snaps into in the center position. The one in the other picture is stamped sheet metal and I believe a later iteration. My weak memory tells me they were made by Yankee.

I know more information than you wanted but to me it's little shit like this that makes a hot rod. Just humor me...your kids are safe.:D

20. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I used a lot of early 70's ford mid size car radiators. I also take the bottom mounts which are bolted to the frame. I remove the original radiators support flanges from the F1 radiator support. Then I bolt the bottom supports from the donor car to the bottom of the F1 support (Front side) Use the radiator to locate where to mount the supports. Drop the radiator in and make the top mounts to fit. When it is done the radiator is level with the top of the fenders and looks factory.