Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S.T.P., Oct 25, 2007.

1. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

First my questions may sound stupid to some, some may sound stupid to all or not. I havent a clue so answer if you can. If you cant answer just leave a nasty coment about how I should get off this board if I dont already know.:rolleyes:
    1-What is a model B? I spied a truck in an old guys barn and asked him about it. He said it is a 1932 1 1/2 ton model B. Looks just like a 32 PU, save the grill it is different. Told me he would take 800 for the truck. Too beat up for me to fix so I passed.
    2- what year s were called Model A?
    3- Is the term V8 A a ford term or is that a hot rodders term?
    4- What should one expect to pay for a 29-31 rolling chassis? I dont want to give anyone in the know a rediculously low or high offer.

2. model years for Model A's are 1928-1929-1930 and 1931 , although production continued until i believe jan-feb of 1932

i have always used the term B to refer to 1932 model year Fords with a 4-cylinder motor...but i may be wrong

3. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

B-model is a 32 with a 4 banger. 1 1/2 ton trucks were AA for the Model A and BB for the 32. Model As ran from 28-31. And a stock Model a rolling chassis will run any where from $500 to $2000 depending on condition and if it comes with a drive line or not.
    Oh, AV8 is a rodder term for a Model A with a flathead V8

4. kgjevre

kgjevre

Found this online somewhere and it seems acurate based on my knowleded:
    The designation Ford Model B, like Ford Model A, was actually used for two different automobiles. The first was produced in 1904-05 and is among the earliest Ford Motor Company products. The second Model B was an improvement of the second Model A and entered production for the 1932 model year. Strictly speaking the Model B was a four-cylinder car, but it was at this time that Ford began producing a very similar car with Ford's new Flathead V8 engine. The V8 car was marketed as a Model 18, though it is commonly called the Ford V-8 today, and was virtually indistinguishable from the Model B.

The Model A was the designation of two cars made by Ford Motor Company, one in 1903 and one beginning in 1927 (designated as a 1928 model) produced until 1931.

Lots of info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_A_(1927)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_B_(1932)

5. Yes the 32 is a Model 18. The four cylinder option was the B. Some say that actually only the engine is the Model B and that the car is still a Model 18.

"but it was at this time that Ford began producing a very similar car with Ford's new Flathead V8 engine." Wording like this concerns me because it implies there was an existing 4 cylinder "Model B" in production prior to the launch of the V8 Model 18, which was not the case.

6. kgjevre

kgjevre

Agreed, and I should have reworded what I cut-pasted I guess...

Also, the first paragraph on the wikipedia Model B/18 link makes it sound like the 1933 was caled a Model C and I have never heard that, and their link takes you to the 1904 cars, so that is wrong...
    And the picture shows a 33 V8 (pic props even say so) but the title is Model B...

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 32 4 cylinder cars were VIN'd as B-****** and the V8 cars as 18-******.

The 32 Pickup & Panel Grille is the same as the 32 BB 1 1/2 ton truck grille. The Sedan Delivery, although designated a Commercial vehicle, uses the Passenger car radiator shell and grille insert.

8. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Right you are ...

Ford started with "A" - as a model - in 1903. Then as each year passed, the model LETTER moved up.
    "A", "B", "C", "D" until they finally reached the famous model "T".

The letter "T" was used for 18 years of production until 1927 - when Henry (so the story goes) decided it was time to start fresh.

So the second "A" was born and lasted for four years.
    Which of course throws the NEW LETTER for each NEW YEAR out the window!!

Then the SECOND "B" was born.

From the Canadian Ford Archives it indicates that the MODEL designations ("A", "B", etc.) referred to the YEAR, not engine or body type.

But, ... there are lots of people who will disagree!

From what I can learn from the Ford archives; LETTER designations continued for several more years but it's not clear as to how long it was done.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Actually, the T, A and B refer to the model series rather than the year, since the T covers 1909-1927, the A 1928-1931, and the last of the lettered series B only 1932 4cylinders whereas the V8 was desinated 18-, the first of the number series of cars/trucks.

Car designations
    40- 1933-34
    48- 1935
    68- 1936
    78- 1937
    81A- 1938
    91A- 1939
    01A- 1940
    11A- 1941
    21A- 1942 and so on.

10. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I know if you found a model B pick up you better try and buy the thing if its for sale. They're not easy to find and one good lookin ride.

11. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

Is the pu cab the same as a 1 1/2 ton cab?

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The cabs are the same, as are the hoods, radiator shells, front fenders and radiator apron.
    Remember, the 32 cab has the removeable firewall and the instrument panle mounts on a cone which attached to the firewall holding the panel in line with the hole in the dashboard.

13. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Thanks pasadenahotrod, I'll add that info to my ...
    "Information I DIDN'T have CORRECT FILE!!!" :D